By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rare hiring for cloud-based Kinect title, ‘jaw-dropping’ next-gen project

VG247

Rare is currently hiring for a new project that uses both Kinect and cloud-based technology. That doesn’t sound like Killer Instinct 3 to us. Regardless, get the details below.

As spotted by OXM, a job posting for ‘Principal Network Services Engineer’ states:

“Following on from the success of ‘Kinect Sports’ and its recent sequel ‘Kinect Sports: Season Two’, Rare is continuing to push the boundaries of the Kinect hardware with our exciting new project. We’re looking for an experienced and passionate engineer to join us on this journey.

“This role will involve you working as part of the Cloud Services engineering team in order to develop and deliver Cloud Services for our current and future products. As part of your role, you will be required to work closely with Artists, Designers, Producers and Program Managers.

“As a Principal, you may also be expected to undertake some elements of leadership including mentoring other engineers and helping drive the direction of Cloud Services in our future titles.”

The following job requirements also make repeated mention of cloud-based features, stating that the successful candidate must, “Deliver cloud services that support gameplay, data sharing and title instrumentation, work closely with design in order to define ambitious cloud services within our upcoming titles,” and “Contribute to the long-term cloud services strategy at Rare to ensure we will be able to provide players with the services they expect from future titles.”

Elsewhere, a second job post for ‘Gameplay Engineer’, points at Xbox 720 involvement, and, “Working with extremely early prototype hardware co-developed with teams located off-site.”

The post describes the product as a, “Jaw-dropping, never-been-done-before Rare project.”

Around the Network

That's a bold claim from a company who hasn't backed anything up since the late 90's

I can't open threads, so I just post it here.

http://www.blacktuskstudios.com/
This was formally known as MGS Vancouver. Looks like things are heating up for next gen.

@007BondAgent
a lot of studios make these kind of claims. Look at SuckerPunch for example. All they created was the lackluster InFamous and people make it sound like they would be somehow talented.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

while i doubt i'll care about any game rare makes.. i like to see the word cloud used. good to see things moving forward.

Graphics may be 'jaw dropping for some', but gameplay without any physical controller will be 'meh' as usual.

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:
I can't open threads, so I just post it here.

http://www.blacktuskstudios.com/
This was formally known as MGS Vancouver. Looks like things are heating up for next gen.

@007BondAgent
a lot of studios make these kind of claims. Look at SuckerPunch for example. All they created was the lackluster InFamous and people make it sound like they would be somehow talented.

That is pretty cool, hopefully they are making something interesting.  And I agree about sucker punch.  Highly over rated. If they were not exclusive developers they would not be hyped up at all.  Not this gen anyways.

Rare has the capacity to make multiple games at one time. So no biggie.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Great, another "jaw-dropping" game.

I LOVE paying for Xbox Live! I also love that my love for it pisses off so many people.

I'm going to find it very hard to get hyped for the next Xbox.... I doubt the system will have much more (if any) muscle then my current PC, and I'm pretty indifferent about their first party stuff after this gen, which is funny because I loved the original Xbox because of all the exclusives.

Since I'm not going to care too much about specs or first party offerings (since I'm sure most if not all quality 3rd party offerings will be available on PC, as must AAA games are western ones now), they have to impress me with the new Kinect. I like my Kinect, it's great for dance and party games.... but I already have it on my 360. Let's see.... maybe my jaw will hit the floor. Doubt it.

Rare, Cloud based, Kinect. 3 terms that garner 0 excitement nowadays.
At least they're trying to hire a gameplay engineer, about time.