By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WiiU owners please tell me.....

Does it have muddy graphics or jaggies. Im not a graphics whore, but im getting irritated by articles and forums dissing WiiU and its graphical performances. Since im from England i wont be sampling WiiU delights until at least next week or beyond. So i want to hear it from the good people here on VG chartz who own WiiU, does it stand up graphically and are the reports just fanboys stirring up a bit of trouble.

Around the Network

This would be on a game per game basis. However, I own or have played nintendoland, nsmbu, codblops2, zombiu... and none of those looked bad or ran bad. The other ports are basically identical or very minor upgrades over the PS360 versions.

Obviously NL and NSMBU are not "realistic" games and more cartoony, but they look great for their intended graphical nature.

I honestly don't see why any of those higher end games are getting attacked for visuals. I think expectations that it would be blowing away PS360 are the cause as they clearly are not. But the only game that could have done that was ZombiU as its exclusive, but I still wouldn't have expected Ubisoft to throw a ton of money on a new IP on a new console. But yet its still a great game from my limited play. I will actually own the game myself tonight and can update with a more detailed review of you'd like.

EDIT: Also, I watched a few of the videos on the eShop for the digital games and wow some of those look great. Just really done will. Will have to pick a few up.

Yes superchunk, if you get chance, a detailed review of ZombiU would be great. Cheers pal

Also, can any US WiiU owners enlighten us as to whether the games run in actual HD (native 720p or 1080p)?

For ages before WiiU launched, there were articles all over the internet about how WiiU ports of PS360 titles would boast higher resolutions, (instead of the sub-HD a lot of PS360 games adopt) but now that the system's out, NOBODY mentions ANYTHING about this, ANYWHERE. I know Nintendo's 1st party stuff is supposedly all 720p, but what about the 3rp party games?
I've googled a ton, but nobody apparently knows anything about this, which seems weird to me...

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

All the games are native 720p. The WiiU then upscales it to 1080p or whatever output you set in the settings menu. They even do that for Wii, VC, and WW games.

Around the Network

I only have NSMB U, Cod Black Ops 2, and Nintendo Land (I typed Zombie Land by accident! LOL!) and none of those games have any issues. I'm actually surprised how awesome Nintendo Land looks and plays. Online is awesome, too.

The only thing that throws my enjoyment off: Call of Duty BO1 has a 3D mode on the Xbox 360, at least. I haven't found that option for COD BO2 on the Wii U. If the other versions have it and the Wii U doens't, it's going to nag me forever!

zippy said:
Does it have muddy graphics or jaggies. Im not a graphics whore, but im getting irritated by articles and forums dissing WiiU and its graphical performances. Since im from England i wont be sampling WiiU delights until at least next week or beyond. So i want to hear it from the good people here on VG chartz who own WiiU, does it stand up graphically and are the reports just fanboys stirring up a bit of trouble.

I think that lot of that talk comes from certain BLOPS2 shadows problems (from Neogaf):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500393&page=4

"Just to add to this thread, I've played a couple of missions thus far and it's not good.

The Digital Foundry article featured the first area benchmarked on PS3 and 360. During some of the parts they show the framerate flucuates between 45-50 fps dropping as low as 40-ish on PS3 during the slowest point. On WiiU? Yeah, that same area (right before the chopper) sinks UNDER 30 fps. It's juddery and choppy. On average the framerate seems to spend a lot of time around 50 fps.

Now, it generally doesn't sink THAT low during gameplay but it spends way too much time under 60 fps. The 360 version is much smoother and even the PS3 version seems to have an edge. The image quality seems more in line with 360 at least, which is to say that it's jaggy as hell, but not blurry like 1.02 on PS3.

The shadows are also nasty. Until you stand right up on them, they appear at a very VERY low resolution and only resolve into higher detail when you press your face right up against them.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...ops-2-face-off

Regarding those two shots above...

When I returned to that area, the pillows DID appear on WiiU. I don't know why they were missing when I snapped that photo, but they were. Secondly, the shadows DO eventually become the resolution as you see on 360 *BUT* only when you are within VERY close proximity. From any normal distance they are a chunky mess."

I think problem is BLOPS2 being lazy port.

superchunk said:
All the games are native 720p. The WiiU then upscales it to 1080p or whatever output you set in the settings menu. They even do that for Wii, VC, and WW games.

Thank you!

... But, it actually upscales Wii games, too? I thought they said it wouldn't do that? :O Does that make a noticeable difference to old Wii games?

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

d21lewis said:
I only have NSMB U, Cod Black Ops 2, and Nintendo Land (I typed Zombie Land by accident! LOL!) and none of those games have any issues. I'm actually surprised how awesome Nintendo Land looks and plays. Online is awesome, too.

The only thing that throws my enjoyment off: Call of Duty BO1 has a 3D mode on the Xbox 360, at least. I haven't found that option for COD BO2 on the Wii U. If the other versions have it and the Wii U doens't, it's going to nag me forever!

Its there. I saw a video on it.... or maybe it was on AC3. I'll take a gander.

EDIT: well found the article and it was about AC3. Maybe they removed the feature on WiiU version? idk. I'll look tonight out of curiousity.

Cheebee said:
superchunk said:

Thank you!

... But, it actually upscales Wii games, too? I thought they said it wouldn't do that? :O Does that make a noticeable difference to old Wii games?

Yep. When I was playing / testing the Wii functionality, SMB (VC) was at 1080p. Keep in mind, this is upscaling... not up-resing. Just making it so the game looks good on a large HD TV vs like a stretched out piece of ass.