By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Does sony have a franchise that will sell the PS4 out of the gate

JayWood2010 said:
CGI-Quality said:
fauzman said:
Sony doesnt have great-selling titles.

Why people seem to leave out Gran Turismo, still!

Again, the only company with extreme selling franchises is Nintendo. Sony and Microsoft are basically tied, but Sony has more IPs that sell moderate-good.

I tend to agree with you a lot but XBOX actually has probably just as many exclusive Console titles with multi million sales.  Halo and gears being the two biggest they have.  There is others like fable, forza, L4D, Crackdown, Alan Wake, Perfect dark, mass effect, Dead or Alive 3, Viva Pinata, etc etc.  The reason people forget a lot of this is because xbox exclusives came out early in the gen where sony's has came out later. 

Sony has a bigger first party but Miscrosoft is more aggressive and buys exclusives wether for a short time or permanate 

most of those games you listed sold poor or dissappered entirely and had little effect on anything,. compared to the number of 2-3 million sellers on top of the big franchises sony has.

Sony as has a tonne from the ps1 and ps2 days they could easiy resurect for next gen.

Around the Network
FatalInertia said:
JayWood2010 said:
CGI-Quality said:
fauzman said:

Again, the only company with extreme selling franchises is Nintendo. Sony and Microsoft are basically tied, but Sony has more IPs that sell moderate-good.

I tend to agree with you a lot but XBOX actually has probably just as many exclusive Console titles with multi million sales.  Halo and gears being the two biggest they have.  There is others like fable, forza, L4D, Crackdown, Alan Wake, Perfect dark, mass effect, Dead or Alive 3, Viva Pinata, etc etc.  The reason people forget a lot of this is because xbox exclusives came out early in the gen where sony's has came out later. 

Sony has a bigger first party but Miscrosoft is more aggressive and buys exclusives wether for a short time or permanate 

most of those games you listed sold poor or dissappered entirely and had little effect on anything,. compared to the number of 2-3 million sellers on top of the big franchises sony has.

Sony as has a tonne from the ps1 and ps2 days they could easiy resurect for next gen.

Actually every one of those games has sold above 1 million except perfect dark.  Most of those games are multi million sellers

JayWood2010 said:
FatalInertia said:
JayWood2010 said:
CGI-Quality said:
fauzman said:

Actually every one of those games has sold above 1 million except perfect dark.  Most of those games are multi million sellers

Nope alan wake also sold poorly, Mass effect has long since been a multiplatform franchise and thats not changing. Games like crackdown were poor. compared to the number of multi-million selling ps3 exclusives there is a big lead for sony there.

FatalInertia said:
JayWood2010 said:
FatalInertia said:
JayWood2010 said:
CGI-Quality said:
fauzman said:

Nope alan wake also sold poorly, Mass effect has long since been a multiplatform franchise and thats not changing. Games like crackdown were poor. compared to the number of multi-million selling ps3 exclusives there is a big lead for sony there.

Seriously do not start with me kid.  Alan Wake sold 1.18m and both crackdown games has sold over 1 million along with viva pinata.  Mass Effect 1 has been an exclusive for years.  I think it's just now coming to ps3 if im correct.  If I really need to break out numbers I will but please just leave it at that.

SnakeDrake said:
Hum I wonder what numbers can GOW do if its released in winter.

Don't think we'll ever find out.

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
FatalInertia said:
JayWood2010 said:
FatalInertia said:
JayWood2010 said:
CGI-Quality said:
fauzman said:

Seriously do not start with me kid.  Alan Wake sold 1.18m and both crackdown games has sold over 1 million along with viva pinata.  Mass Effect 1 has been an exclusive for years.  I think it's just now coming to ps3 if im correct.  If I really need to break out numbers I will but please just leave it at that.

Over 1 million  I said 2 + million, case made.  1 million in this day and age is small time. sony has way moe games in the mod range 2-4 million range, kid. If we are talking only over 1 million we could add a tonne of titles, not really relevant.

FatalInertia said:
JayWood2010 said:
FatalInertia said:
JayWood2010 said:
FatalInertia said:
JayWood2010 said:
CGI-Quality said:
fauzman said:

Over 1 million  I said 2 + million, case made.  1 million in this day and age is small time. sony has way moe games in the mod range 2-4 million range, kid. If we are talking only over 1 million we could add a tonne of titles, not really relevant.

You do realize that sony has 16 multimillion sellers that are exclusive and Microsoft has 20?  Most Sony game going around 2-3 million where microsoft is 3-5 million.  Backup what you say next time.

All 2 million+ btw

Farsala said:
JustThatGamer said:

Farsala said:

Yes, the Fable and forza is bigger then God of war though. Though Forza and Fable are on decline, too soon to tell with God of war. So that is why I say they are almost equal.

You're massively wrong. God of War is much bigger than Forza and Fable and it's never had to be massively bundled. Fable is a 2.5 - 4.0 million selling franchise and Forza is a 1.5 - 3.0 million selling franchise, Forza 2, 3 and Fable 2, 3 only sold so well due to mass bundling and God of War III is still way ahead of them at 5.2 million which Sony announced on the 30th May 2012, it's sold a lot more since then and is now roughly at 5.4m+.

The God of War games are 4.25 - 6.00 million sellers. God of War III will pass 6 million this gen easily as it's already at about 5.4-5.5m and there's a new budget essentials edition and the new Saga collection which has been selling VERY well. Not to mention God of War III was hardly bundled at all, released during a PS3 shortage and had a terrible marketing campaign and it still went on to be one of the biggest exclusives on HD consoles and the best selling game in its genre of all time. God of War: Ascension will also be a 5.5 - 6.5 million seller and will definitely pass 6 million unless the PS4 launches before Q4 2014 which would cut its legs short a little bit.

With the way the God of War franchise growing and the fact millions of people are already anxiously waiting for God of War IV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOwCvW_4x_k 6.4 million views or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUY1MeMaFVU with 4 million views and there's more fake videos with millions of views) even though God of War: Ascension has been announced as the next game in the series, GoW4 is going to be the biggest in the series yet selling 6.5 - 7.5 million and will be a HUGE system seller. 

And God of War is bigger than Uncharted as well; UC2 was bundled a lot, has had an extra xmas holiday and is 6 months older and yet GoW3 is only about 300-400K behind and is catching up. UC3 is the most bundled game on HD consoles this generation and once the game stops being bundled sales will slow down considerably and it is unlikely to pass UC2 by a significant margin if at all. Uncharted is really only a medium-high tier 3.5 - 4.5 million selling franchise if it wasn't bundled so massively, I don't know why some people think it's a big franchise when it's really not at all. Are Resistance: FoM, MotorStorm and LittleBigPlanet huge sellers? No, they sold 4-5 million because of mass bundling just like Uncharted 2 & 3 sold a lot mainly because of bundles, yet I rarely see people criticise Uncharted's sales for depending heavily on bundles like they do other games.

Gran Tursimo and God of War are Sony's most popular and beloved franchises, both are huge system sellers. Uncharted and LittleBigPlanet are big sellers and will help shift a lot of consoles. Resistance, Killzone and Infamous are decent/good sellers but are unlikely to help boost console sales much. Some new IPs could help the PS4 but it'll most likely be sequels to existing franchises that will help push PS4 sales most around the first year on sale, if the new IPs are successful and get sequels then they could be big system sellers for the PS4. 

You are missing the point because I fail to be concise. Forza AND Fable> GoW. Forza 360 avg 3.7m+ Fable 360 avg 4.4m = 8.1m > any God of war.

Why are you pitting 2 Xbox 360 franchises against 1 PS3 one? WTF?

The guy you are replying to was comparing God of War to Forza OR Fable, individually.

JayWood2010 said:
FatalInertia said:
JayWood2010 said:
FatalInertia said:
JayWood2010 said:
FatalInertia said:
JayWood2010 said:
CGI-Quality said:
fauzman said:

You do realize that sony has 16 multimillion sellers that are exclusive and Microsoft has 20?  Most Sony game going around 2-3 million where microsoft is 3-5 million.  Backup what you say next time.

All 2 million+ btw

First party, not third party, and outside gears, and halo xbox has nothign that sells higher then 5 million in fact even gears is third party. This thread was about first party. Big difference. Sony has WAY more first party games that sell 2-3 million and above. Undertand the topic next time.

JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:

Everybody wants to predict how well the PS4/ NeXbox and the WiiU will sell, however people has left out important info on why they think each will sell well.  So here is my question, what does Sony have that will make the PS4 sell well.  Microsoft has Halo and Gears which are both system sellers to a mass amount of people and on top of that the XBOX brand is higher than ever in America, as well as Nintendo having Mario, DK, Zelda, and this list never ends.  Sony has a ton of franchises but does any of them really have that mass appeal that people will just blindly go in and buy the system right off of the bat for a high price?  The two biggest franchises that they have is Uncharted ,God of War, and Gran Turismo, but are they big enough?  

Explain your answers and try not argueing.

LMFAO

Serious question.  Uncharted and God of War are both possibly ending and neither one are 10 million + sellers.  Which leaves it up to gran turismo.

If 10 million is the scale, then you cannot put Gears in there and Microsoft has only one franchise (halo).