By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Hardware Comparisons

Console is pretty ugly. Cool that it's small but I worry about poor ventilation. Plus, I won't be buying this bad console. The final nail came when they confirmed that they (WiiU) don't come with an Ethernet slot, which I thought is a must have for any serious HD console of the next gen. You can bash games all you want, or the company. But I bash Nintendo because the illusion of Next Gen when some offerings aren't even this gen.

In the end, wired performance is faster and far more stable than Wi-Fi can ever accomplish. People who say it's stone aged tech are clueless baboons. It's old concept, but it's still the best performer by far in all categories. People have a problem, it's one wire. And as a hardcore PC gamer of old (CS 1.6), I truly understand how much more beneficial a wired connect is to gaming.

I just hate fanboys. Why can't people just admit mistakes. On this matter, Nintendo made one. For many people it's not a deal breaker, but for me... It is. This is just a reflection on their priorities heading into this "next gen". I'll take the next fairy this time around, and start my generational leap with the PS4 (unless they do something stupid too).

What a weird area to save a few bucks on building your new console. I honestly don't get Nintendo.

Around the Network

It's not sexy. Not at all. It just looks like a DVD player, not a console. The controller is really too much like the X360. The shape is identical. They could have at least tried to do something original with it, You'd think they would be capable of innovating with a game controller ;)
All in all, the looks surely aren't going to be the reason this thing sells.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Pesmerga7551 said:
Console is pretty ugly. Cool that it's small but I worry about poor ventilation. Plus, I won't be buying this bad console. The final nail came when they confirmed that they (WiiU) don't come with an Ethernet slot, which I thought is a must have for any serious HD console of the next gen. You can bash games all you want, or the company. But I bash Nintendo because the illusion of Next Gen when some offerings aren't even this gen.

In the end, wired performance is faster and far more stable than Wi-Fi can ever accomplish. People who say it's stone aged tech are clueless baboons. It's old concept, but it's still the best performer by far in all categories. People have a problem, it's one wire. And as a hardcore PC gamer of old (CS 1.6), I truly understand how much more beneficial a wired connect is to gaming.

I just hate fanboys. Why can't people just admit mistakes. On this matter, Nintendo made one. For many people it's not a deal breaker, but for me... It is. This is just a reflection on their priorities heading into this "next gen". I'll take the next fairy this time around, and start my generational leap with the PS4 (unless they do something stupid too).

What a weird area to save a few bucks on building your new console. I honestly don't get Nintendo.

Wow dude that was one heck of a post for just a hardware size comparison. You must really hate Nintendo.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Small console, good showcase of industrial design. I'm gonna buy that damn thing and enjoy the hell out of it, and show off on the internet because of reasons.

Scisca said:
It's not sexy. Not at all. It just looks like a DVD player, not a console. The controller is really too much like the X360. The shape is identical. They could have at least tried to do something original with it, You'd think they would be capable of innovating with a game controller ;)
All in all, the looks surely aren't going to be the reason this thing sells.

The main controller is the Gamepad, not the Pro Controller. Get a clue.

Around the Network
Pesmerga7551 said:

Nintendo takes decisions on about how they aim their audience. As a matter of fact, as clever as you are, you might have understood Nintendo was adopting a particular approach on assymetric gaming with the Wii U: everything about entertainment now involves the living room and people within it. Nintendo targets a specific demographic here, which is making people watch TV while others are playing simultaneously. According to a specific vision of their demographic, they make manufacturing choices that answers to a particular problem and focus on it primarly. As you should know, Ethernet ports are now discretionary to companies like Nintendo; Wifi is the future. They do manufacture a console to respond particular needs; but they do it by thinking of the widest audience. Generally, the modem isn't in the living room, which makes the Ethernet port pointless. To really catch the concept of Wii U, people must connect Wii U to their TVs in that same living room. Nintendo makes strategic choices which correspond to their vision of entertainment.

I would say that in most cases, people use Wifi, just because it's widespread. They may be exceptions. But for those exceptions there are alternatives: buying a wireless modem (because, honestly, a non-wireless modem doesn't get you far) or buy this little device Nintendo sells that goes into the USB slot. In the end, Wifi or not doesn't quite change the 

Between you and me, you weren't even that interested in the console at first, because someone who would really want it would deal with the "issue" no matter what. You just came here to flame and bash because of some unknown reasons I really don't wanna know.

Oh and yes, you're big enough to create your own illusions. You can have your own conception of what is the true next generation.  I consider Nintendo made the generational leap. Let me guess... you were one of those claiming Wii wasn't exactly new generation?

VGKing said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
That is one sexy console.

NO. It really isn't.

Don't worry VGKing! PS3 is sexy too!

Pesmerga7551 said:

While I agree that ethernet is faster than wireless, it all comes down to technique. Look at the battle between cartridges and CDs. CDs are HORRIBLE in latency compared to solid state, but they found a way to properly utilise the technology to make it work.

We'll just have to see what Nintendo has up their sleeves.

I wonder if they'll keep the little infra red panel from the Wii, or if they'd use a technique similar to Skyward Sword, in which IR wasn't used and it was some smarts with the Wii MotionPlus (that is, if it still supports the wiimote much).

Pesmerga7551 said:

I wonder if you're also bitching about PS360 not coming with a HDMI cable - because that's pretty important if you wanna play HD games. Just sayin'. Wii U does that you know. Coming packed with a HDMI cable that is. So you can, you know, enjoy HD graphics without having to go out, go to town, buy a HDMI cable, then get home and plug it in.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.