By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U has no ethernet port

Meh. I think I'll survive.

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

Around the Network
osed125 said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
No unified chat I'll give you that, it was a wierd and stupid decision, no trophies It does have an achievements system, we just don't know much about it yet, and a half harted attempted at online gaming Again we don't know anything about Wii U's online structure other than the Miiverse.

So out of 4 "bad things" there are only 2 (at least for now), it's that enough to cancel your pre order?

No, I'm not canceling my pre order, but I'm getting more frustrated with it as the days goes by, and I know this happens with every console release. So I'll probably get worked up over the ps4 faults too.

Doesn't the thing come out next week? We should know a lot more about it's online structure but we don't which isn't sounding good, but not including a built in ether net port and excluding and unified chat systems are part of why I'm calling their online half harted, because these all all things associated with online gaming. Not to mention the whole head set fiasco.

Do you have a link to confirming Achievements? Cause the last i heard it wouldn't have them, at least it wouldn't be required which would mean it wouldn't have them, because Developers wont put the extra time into it if they don't have to.

Mmmfishtacos said:
osed125 said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
No unified chat I'll give you that, it was a wierd and stupid decision, no trophies It does have an achievements system, we just don't know much about it yet, and a half harted attempted at online gaming Again we don't know anything about Wii U's online structure other than the Miiverse.

So out of 4 "bad things" there are only 2 (at least for now), it's that enough to cancel your pre order

Doesn't the thing come out next week? We should know a lot more about it's online structure but we don't which isn't sounding good, but not including a built in ether net port and excluding and unified chat systems are part of why I'm calling their online half harted, because these all all things associated with online gaming. Not to mention the whole head set fiasco.

Do you have a link to confirming Achievements? Cause the last i heard it wouldn't have them, at least it wouldn't be required which would mean it wouldn't have them, because Developers wont put the extra time into it if they don't have to.

I'm with you on this one, at this point we should know a little bit more about the Nintendo Network. There was a Nintendo direct today in Japan which showed the Miiverse and how the Account system in the Nintendo Network will work (no more friend codes!), but other than that there's no much more information.

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/06/wii-u-achievements-confirmed-by-nintendo/

It looks like the only difference it's that in the Wii U developers won't have to implement the achievements if they don't want to, but since the PS3 and 360 have them obligatory we will see the same achievements (apparently called Wii U Accomplishments) for the Wii U. 

PS: Your sig is awesome :D

Nintendo and PC gamer

NiKKoM said:
Are you people still using 802.11b/g wifi or what? use 802.11n equipement.. like the WiiU supports

Any self respecting Nintendo fan would be using 802.11b still.

THis is big for me :(. Two months ago I moved into  an Adobe house and my WiFi doesn't travel all the way to my living room. So I've actually converted to Xbox for my Netflix and online media hub.  I planned on getting a Wii U to make it my central Media place in my living room.  Currently I use a device that transfers internet through the electrical outlets in my house  to connect my Xbox to the internet(really neat technology too). But it plugs in through Ethernet cords, anybody know how much the Wii U's Ethernet adapter is and where to get it?

Around the Network

Isn't this old news? I thought the lack of an ethernet port had been discovered months ago?

Anyway, I don't like the decision. Whereas cross-game chat and achievements are superfluous at best, an ethernet port has actual utility. But it sounds like there are options out there -- a quick Google search revealed a Wii ethernet adapter for $15.

I paid an arm and a leg for my Xbox wireless adapter, so I can deal with paying a little extra for the option to make a wired connection with the Wii U.

VicViper said:

This thread reminds me of when they announced that the 3DS XL woudn't come with an AC Adapter
People went crazy! Ryuzaki here said people on france would go to the streets burning Japan's flag! Oh the horror!

What happened? It was a sales success (going to surpass both PS3 year to date and Vita's Lifetime sales in one week).
And best yet, the AC Adapter is in amazon.jp top 10 since forever. Good business and who really needs one buy it easily and cheap or even use a third party option (even cheaper)

This is another classic case of "problem that isn't really a problem, and if it really is a problem for you there's an easy and cheap solution". They just should come with a better name for this though, something like "first world problems" or something.

First world problems is a thing, but it'd like be in reverse for this situation.

"Online works fine,

but wireless is unstable to stream netflix"

Something like that. Still not sure how you really defend the exclusion. Companies shouldn't be able to just remove components that seen as standards.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

oniyide said:
its not about wifi being fine, which it is, its about options and wired connections do help with latency, thats pretty much a given. BUT it is a none issue as most of us (me included) who wanted better connections(im assuming anyone here who is interested in Wii U had a Wii) bought the USB port. I still have mine somewhere

I didn't buy it simply because I hardly bothered playing any Wii games online. I attempted with Mario Kart and Smash Bros, but that was enough for me.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

NiKKoM said:
Are you people still using 802.11b/g wifi or what? use 802.11n equipement.. like the WiiU supports

Quoted for truth!

it seems like everybody tried to ignore this post...   

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

For most games and players wireless is ok ... but it comes with increased latency and lag.
speed dont really matter in online gaming so its fine if you lose speed if you change to wireless, but the increased latency is whats matters.

But if you like to play competitively fighting games (e.g. street fighter, guilty gear, blazblue, marvel) wireless wont cut it ... or if you are hardcore enough to recognize the higher ping (I guess 30-50ms more than wired)

Everyone who have tried wired and wireless in those games knows how the increase in ping from wireless can destroy the gameplay in where milliseconds matters a lot (1-2frames more inputlag is enough to make the game unplayable) ...

But if you dont play that games and since not many of that games will come to the wiiu or at least nearly none of those fighting game players will switch to the wiiu to play those games on it, it really doesnt matter ...