By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 2012 Election Center: The Main Event - Obama Wins

Of the two main candidates for president, who will win?

Barack Obama 245 75.85%

Mitt Romney 73 22.60%

Total:318
chocoloco said:

The best example of the likly results of the election based on how swing states vote. Hint- it is much in favor of President Obama. Look if you dare.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/11/02/us/politics/paths-to-the-white-house.html

That doesn't give any results as being most likely....  Even if Mitt Romney were winning all the swing states... but withnin the margin of being a swing state, that page would look exactly the same.

This would be a better source to fit your wishes.

http://www.businessinsider.com/here-are-the-three-most-likely-electoral-scenarios-according-to-fivethirtyeight-2012-11

Around the Network

I voted in #Election2012 in Florida. The optimist in me says "My vote matters!" The pessimist in me says "Will they know how to count it!"
-Brian Hoffman

I'm predicting President Obama winning with 275 (Romney with 263) electoral votes.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Not going to vote because I already know the result in Texas. Hint: Romney wins Texas.  Voting for Gary Johnson proves nothing in Texas.

sethnintendo said:

Not going to vote because I already know the result in Texas. Hint: Romney wins Texas.  Voting for Gary Johnson proves nothing in Texas.

It gets him one vote closer to the goal of 5% of the popular vote. 

Around the Network
insomniac17 said:
sethnintendo said:

It gets him one vote closer to the goal of 5% of the popular vote. 

Perhaps I should down 6 Weihenstephaners and head down the my local voting station.  I assume voting while semi intoxicated is legal.  Probably be more fun stoned though.

Lostplanet22 said:
I voted in #Election2012 in Florida. The optimist in me says "My vote matters!" The pessimist in me says "Will they know how to count it!"
-Brian Hoffman

They are throwing out tons of absentee ballots in florida right now because they werent signed...

gergroy said:
Lostplanet22 said:
-Brian Hoffman

They are throwing out tons of absentee ballots in florida right now because they werent signed...

Usually, more Republicans do absentee ballots right?  Florida is a mess usually when it comes to elections.  Perhaps this will counter the felon lists that includes eligible voters that they love to include on the list.

gergroy said:
nuckles87 said:
gergroy said:
PDF said:
Obama has this locked up. What will be interesting is if Romney wins the popular vote.

I don't know, a lot of these polls out there are all within the margin of error.  It will come down to voter turnout.  I wouldn't say Obama has it locked up, but I would say he is the favorite to win.  

Margin of error only matters for individual polls. In polling composites, the margin of error is reduced SIGNIFICANTLY. Right now most swing state polls and national polls are moving in Obama's direction. The consensus is that Obama is going to win. So long as the people who say they are likely voters actually vote, of course.

There have been instances when the polling consensus has been off, but the vast majority of the time when most of the polls begin to move in one direction, THOSE are the polls that are right. Not the handful of outliers that see something else.

fivethirtyeight.com is now seeing a 91.5 % chance of an Obama victory come tomorrow. The forecast has been moving in his direction since mid October, and this is by far the highest rating he's ever had on the site, and it's all because of the direction of the polling.

Romney's only real shot is that the polling consensus is simply wrong, and the handful of pollsters showing better numbers for him are correct. Ohio and several other state polls would need to be biased toward Obama by about 3-4% for this to happen.

There is always that chance, of course, which is why Romney still has an 8.5% chance of victory. It would just take the numbers to be wrong by an unprecedented amount.

being off by 3-4% is hardly unprecedented

since we are going off of averages, lets look at realclearpolitics 2008 numbers

Colorado 

RCP 5.5 Obama Actual 8.5 Obama +3%

Iowa 

RCP 15.3 Obama Actual 9.3% Obama -6%

Michigan 

RCP 13.5% Obama Actual 16.5% Obama +3%

Nevada

RCP 6.5% Obama Actual 12.4% Obama +5.9%

New Mexico

RCP 7.3% Obama Actual 14.7% Obama +7.4%

Pennsylvania

RCP 7.3% Obama Actual 10.4% Obama +3.1%

That is just from the swing or lean states in 2008 that were off by more than 3%.  There is definitely a precedent for these polls being off by 3% or more.  

Not my point. It would be unprecedented for the vast majority of state and national polls to be pointing in one candidate's direction and BE WRONG. What most of these polls did was just underestimate Obama's margin of victory, which could have been affected by Republicans simply not going out to vote because they were going to lose. The only states that actually flipped in Obama's direction despite the polls were Indiana and North Carolina, where he was behind by less then a percentage point and won by less the one.

sethnintendo said:

There ARE other matters to vote on besides just the president, no?