By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - So, Romney's Bain Capital is worse at picking winners and losers than the U.S government?

richardhutnik said:
Kasz216 said:
richardhutnik said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Ail said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Sorry, but isn't the point of Bain Capital to be a venture capitalist? That is, extremely high risk.

Bain is in private equity, not venture capital. It is very different...

Actually, I'm pretty sure Bain does dabble in venture. I remember during the GOP primaries, Gingrich and the ilk dubbed it "vulture capitalist".

Because, you know, the GOP are the party who hates capi- wait, what?

Private equity is vulture capitalism.  At least parts of it is.  It isn't there to fix anything, but come into sick companies and reorder it to try to make money for people involved, particularly the firm setting up the deal.  There is also raising capital for a startup to, and get things going.  In all it, you structure it so no matter what happens, you make money.  This could be gutting everything and selling it for parts.  In this, nothing is on trying to succeed, and grow the economy, just maximize profits.

Connected a bit with this is a recent conversation I had with a former business partner, who is currently in trying to get people money.  He is lamenting what he is doing now, and wondering if he is actually helping.  He now laments getting some guy money for a business, getting investors, and then finding out that the business isn't likely to make it.  He says he made a mess out of more than one person's lives.  He is now thinking of getting an R.V, leaving where he is, and going to mine for gold.  Even in this case here, his attempt to get a busines going is causing more harm than if he didn't do anything.  And he has lawsuits and creditors breathing down his neck.  He feels entrapped in his situation.

Count all this as a reevaluations of what hung around what was remotely considered a social contract.  People are wondering what this "American dream" is that people thought they understood and it looks very risky now.  No more it seems like you can trust by play by certain rules, don't cause trouble, and get a middle class lifestyle.  The GOP primaries went into this also, with Mitt as the focus.

I would agree that it's vulture capitalism...

in that just like vultures it's something that gets bashed by people despite it being overwhelmingly a good thing who's existence helps the general ecosystems it inhabits despite the fact that both are just worried about their own health and survivial.

----------------

Back to myself, because I am not sure how to change the font here...

Well, saying Bain was just vulture capitalism can be a bit overstated.  There was some triage surgery going on also, but there was also the gutting it up for more parts.  The problem with it is if that is where bulk of wealth is generated, you have a sick economy.

First off... the surgery makes more then the gutting, so again, i don't see the problem there, since it's in the best interests to save the company if possible, and the end worst result is that it dies anyway.

Secondly, as for your article... seems like a bit of a correlation, Causation arguement there.

Is it a problem from the banking sector growing too much?   Or is the banking sector growing as a percentage because everything else isn't growing as much?

Credit imporving without the rest of the economy improving with it would be a sign of malinvestment by the people getting the loans would it not? 

Though really even then I'd look at the number 1 country on their list.  It's canada.  Canada's economy has been doing... pretty fine.

The big "Gotcha" things that make this research work are essentially the fact that we had the GFC, and countries with banks have been hit hard, because well, that tends to happen when you have a lot of banks, during a banking crisis.  Countries like Spain and Ireland.

Unless you're out of the loop or found other ways around it.

The thing about the BIS is, it's essentially the Central Bank for Central Banks.  For a long time the EU pretty much ran the place and put in relativly lax holding requirements based on what everyone else wanted... (US/UN.)

Then the financial crisis hit... and now the BIS is advocating bank discretion, because the central bank's weren't properly set up... and people are sick of paying out countries.

It's just another shot at Spain/Greece/Ireland etc.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

First off... the surgery makes more then the gutting, so again, i don't see the problem there, since it's in the best interests to save the company if possible, and the end worst result is that it dies anyway.

Secondly, as for your article... seems like a bit of a correlation, Causation arguement there.

Is it a problem from the banking sector growing too much?   Or is the banking sector growing as a percentage because everything else isn't growing as much?

Credit imporving without the rest of the economy improving with it would be a sign of malinvestment by the people getting the loans would it not? 

Though really even then I'd look at the number 1 country on their list.  It's canada.  Canada's economy has been doing... pretty fine.

The big "Gotcha" things that make this research work are essentially the fact that we had the GFC, and countries with banks have been hit hard, because well, that tends to happen when you have a lot of banks, during a banking crisis.  Countries like Spain and Ireland.

The thing about the BIS is, it's essentially the Central Bank for Central Banks.  For a long time the EU pretty much ran the place and put in relativly lax holding requirements based on what everyone else wanted... (US/UN.)

Then the financial crisis hit... and now the BIS is advocating bank discretion, because the central bank's weren't properly set up... and people are sick of paying out countries.

There is always problems when you try to use any measure to see where things stand.  What happens is people game the measure so it makes the measure not work well.  I believe you see cases of people mucking with intrade site, buying shares in candidate to make it look like a candidate is gaining momentum.  So, it is hard to say that the financial sector growing as part of the economy is the problem, or a symptom.  I would say that it probably is more of a symptom of the problem, in that the other sectors have run out of gas.  But, it is possible that it ends up being part of a feedback loop in the economy that ends up distorting things and make it worse.  Like, the financial sector has a great run.  The sector then sucks into it talent that could be working on science.  Breakthroughs in science are not found that might of been.  And then this causes a spiral to hit.  There are reasons why America has been dropping in math and sciences, compared to other parts of the world.

Kasz216 said:
Ail said:
Kasz216 said:
richardhutnik said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Ail said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Sorry, but isn't the point of Bain Capital to be a venture capitalist? That is, extremely high risk.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Bain does dabble in venture. I remember during the GOP primaries, Gingrich and the ilk dubbed it "vulture capitalist".

Private equity is vulture capitalism.  At least parts of it is.  It isn't there to fix anything, but come into sick companies and reorder it to try to make money for people involved, particularly the firm setting up the deal.  There is also raising capital for a startup to, and get things going.  In all it, you structure it so no matter what happens, you make money.  This could be gutting everything and selling it for parts.  In this, nothing is on trying to succeed, and grow the economy, just maximize profits.

Connected a bit with this is a recent conversation I had with a former business partner, who is currently in trying to get people money.  He is lamenting what he is doing now, and wondering if he is actually helping.  He now laments getting some guy money for a business, getting investors, and then finding out that the business isn't likely to make it.  He says he made a mess out of more than one person's lives.  He is now thinking of getting an R.V, leaving where he is, and going to mine for gold.  Even in this case here, his attempt to get a busines going is causing more harm than if he didn't do anything.  And he has lawsuits and creditors breathing down his neck.  He feels entrapped in his situation.

Count all this as a reevaluations of what hung around what was remotely considered a social contract.  People are wondering what this "American dream" is that people thought they understood and it looks very risky now.  No more it seems like you can trust by play by certain rules, don't cause trouble, and get a middle class lifestyle.  The GOP primaries went into this also, with Mitt as the focus.

in that just like vultures it's something that gets bashed by people despite it being overwhelmingly a good thing who's existence helps the general ecosystems it inhabits despite the fact that both are just worried about their own health and survivial.

It might do some good but I'm sorry, the whole idea of getting a company to take out loans to pay dividends to the private equity that took it over just is plain stupid and should not exist.

There isn't any situation where it is good for the company. And you will never see a public company do it.

The only reason private equity gets away with it is that they know they won't be in charge of the company by the time the loans have to be repaid...

This is too the major reason why companies do go under after being take over and let go by private equity..

Except you know... all the companies that have done it that were going to go out of buisness... and now are still in buisness.

Also... it has happened with public companies.

I believe Safeway was one of them.

Not every company taken over by private equity is necessary a company that was going out of business....

Private equity take over companies when the stock price is attractive and not every company with a low stock price is necessary heading for bankrupcy...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:
Kasz216 said:
Ail said:
Kasz216 said:
richardhutnik said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Ail said:
SamuelRSmith said:

It might do some good but I'm sorry, the whole idea of getting a company to take out loans to pay dividends to the private equity that took it over just is plain stupid and should not exist.

There isn't any situation where it is good for the company. And you will never see a public company do it.

The only reason private equity gets away with it is that they know they won't be in charge of the company by the time the loans have to be repaid...

This is too the major reason why companies do go under after being take over and let go by private equity..

Except you know... all the companies that have done it that were going to go out of buisness... and now are still in buisness.

Not every company taken over by private equity is necessary a company that was going out of business....

Private equity take over companies when the stock price is attractive and not every company with a low stock price is necessary heading for bankrupcy...

The ones that get purchased with LBO's tend to be.

Kasz216 said:
Ail said:
Kasz216 said:
Ail said:
Kasz216 said:
richardhutnik said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Ail said:
SamuelRSmith said:

Burger King, Toys R US, Michael's stores, Dunkin Donuts were all purchased by Bain, none of those were in bad shape or heading for bankrupcy when it happened. Granted they were not the best performing in their sector, but they were not bleeding money either... Burger King and Michael's stores were LBO, not sure about the 2 others...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
Kasz216 said:

There is always problems when you try to use any measure to see where things stand.  What happens is people game the measure so it makes the measure not work well.  I believe you see cases of people mucking with intrade site, buying shares in candidate to make it look like a candidate is gaining momentum.  So, it is hard to say that the financial sector growing as part of the economy is the problem, or a symptom.  I would say that it probably is more of a symptom of the problem, in that the other sectors have run out of gas.  But, it is possible that it ends up being part of a feedback loop in the economy that ends up distorting things and make it worse.  Like, the financial sector has a great run.  The sector then sucks into it talent that could be working on science.  Breakthroughs in science are not found that might of been.  And then this causes a spiral to hit.  There are reasons why America has been dropping in math and sciences, compared to other parts of the world.

Huh?

First off... if anything... that would mean there would be an INCREASE in math... since modern banking needs math.

Secondly, America is falling behind other parts of the world in math and science... when it comes to primary and secondary schools.

America is still by far the world leader in both Math and Science on a collegiate and professional level.

With rivals only starting to form in India and China due to their immense population advantage.

Ail said:
Kasz216 said:
Ail said:
Kasz216 said:

Burger King, Toys R US, Michael's stores, Dunkin Donuts were all purchased by Bain, none of those were in bad shape or heading for bankrupcy when it happened. Granted they were not the best performing in their sector, but they were not bleeding money either... Burger King and Michael's stores were LBO, not sure about the 2 others...

To start with Burger King totally was heading towards bankruptcy in 2002.  In 2002 the AmeriKing inc went out of buisness.  Which was the biggest burger King Franchise company they had.

http://www.qsrmagazine.com/news/ameriking-inc-will-undergo-financial-restructuring

The Burgerking buisness model was falling apart.  They were losing money hand over fist and their owners were trying to dump them.   Then Bain Capital came in and turned them around and they made some profits... well until the financial crisis tanked Burger King... leading the company towards huge loses and heading towards bankruptcy again.

Which is why it was sold to another firm.

Actually making it another one of those Public company taking a leveraged buyout.  Since it was put on the market at the time.

Can't talk for Michaels... but it looks like they were another public company that took a LBO... and that the company looks like it's about to go back on the market as an IPO... with 100 more stores and way more profits... and a valuation at double what the company was bought for.

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2012/07/06/ipo-for-crafts-retailer-michaels-on-hold-indefinitely/