By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SOE announces EverQuest Next!

SOE Live 2012: Smedley says EQNext is the 'largest sandbox-style MMO ever designed'

source: http://eq2wire.com/2012/10/18/soe-live-2012-welcome-reception-live-refresh-for-updates/

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/19/soe-live-2012-smedley-says-eqnext-is-largest-sandbox-style-mmo/

As we reported last night, Sony Online Entertainment dropped a few hints regarding the future of the EverQuest franchise at its annual SOE Live convention in Las Vegas. Though CEO John Smedley's keynote address focused mainly on the firm's non-EQ portfolio, the EQNext tidbit was a doozy.

I have to be honest with you. We have completely blown up the design of EverQuest Next. For the last year and a half we have been working on something we are not ready to show. Why did we blow up the design? The design was evolutionary. It was EverQuest III. It was something that was slightly better than what had come before it. It was slightly better.

What we are building is something that we will be very proud to call EverQuest. It will be the largest sandbox-style MMO ever designed. The same exciting content delivered in a new way. Something you've never seen before. The MMO world has never seen before. We didn't want more kill 10 rats quests. We didn't want more of the same. If you look at the MMOs out there, they're delivering the same content over and over again. So are we. We need to change that. When we released EverQuest, we changed the world. We want to do that again with a different type of game.

Smedley went on to mention that veteran EQ devs Dave Georgeson and Terry Michaels are spearheading the project, and he promised that it would be playable at next year's SOE Live event.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network

want it ... now ...

will it be pc only or also on console ?

2 kids for sale, slightly used. Bring it on EQ, it's been too long.

They better really overhaul the mmorpg design, because I simply don't have time for those games anymore :(
2 hours to prepare for a raid, another 5 hours to execute it. LFG for an hour to find some competent people before you can start playing. I wasted a lot of time in those days.

how are they gonna claim it's the largest sandbox mmo when it is smaller then eve.

I guess it depends on how you define sandbox, eh?

Around the Network

Who big did Everquest ever gotten?

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

SnakeDrake said:
Who big did Everquest ever gotten?

The 19th expansion is coming in November.
My wife and I quit after the 8th expansion. The world was huge back then already. Lvl 68 is the highest we have gotten (out of 70 at the time). The next expansion will raise it to 100.