By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - About Gaming Sales

ok i just thought of something regarding game sales i put together a chart showing whats the recommended sells figure for a week, month or year to explain that if a specific title was to reach that mark its considered a success...and heres my results:

Week-recommended 10, 000 copies of a game

Month-recommended 100,000 copies of a game

Year-recommended 500,000 copies of a game

Tell me what u think about it..

Around the Network

So if I read correctly: If a game were to sell 10k a week its good, but if u look at monthly stats it would be bad cause it didn't sell 100k but only 40k... WTHELL?!

This isn't quite obvious...

THE NETHERLANDS

10,000 units per week is awful if you're talking about the first week and amazing if you're talking about the 26th week ...

Can't really simplify it to that level. You have to consider development, marketing, retail price and other factors. For example a DS game might take $2 million to develop and sell at $30 and a PS3 game might cost $25 million and sell for $60. Obviously the PS3 game is going to take a lot more sales to generate a profit.

Off-topic: And as such it won't make profit with an Userbase of a mere 3 mil... :p... Srry, couldn't resist...!

However, if it were to be ported to X360 for a mere 0.5-2 mil... It COULD make profit if the marketing strategy and the quality addmit it!

THE NETHERLANDS

Around the Network

Well, if you divide 25 million by 60, you need to sell around 416,666 games to cover just the development costs. And of course there's all those other expenses...

Shouldn't be a problem for the famous franchises, at least.

Littledgn said:

Well, if you divide 25 million by 60, you need to sell around 416,666 games to cover just the development costs. And of course there's all those other expenses...

Shouldn't be a problem for the famous franchises, at least.

Wrong, the retailer, marketing, distribution, licensing, etc. also take their cut of that $60. 

And are there any standards in that?

I'm guessing it's different for everyone? 

Littledgn said:

And are there any standards in that?

I'm guessing it's different for everyone?

There are no standards. There is a breakdown of Gears of War on Forbes. 

Tetsuya said:

ok i just thought of something regarding game sales i put together a chart showing whats the recommended sells figure for a week, month or year to explain that if a specific title was to reach that mark its considered a success...and heres my results:

Week-recommended 10, 000 copies of a game

Month-recommended 100,000 copies of a game

Year-recommended 500,000 copies of a game

Tell me what u think about it..

Far too simplistic. You need (at least) three bits of data to make any sort of conclusion about "success":

1/ Development cost of the game (something we usually never know)

2/ Initial sales of the game

3/ Declining sales of the game (sales in weeks 2,3,4)

Using 2 & 3, you can create a "rough" graph, which can give youan estimate of lifetime sales (still varies based on promotions, price reductions, pack-ins, re-releases, budget releases, etc..).

'1' is the most important, and also needs to include publisher / development costs. Also are you talking about it being a "success" for the developer or publisher? If you can get a quote for the "break-even" mark, then you can make some form of estimation.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099