By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has copyrighting prevention gone too far?

Mr Khan said:
Adinnieken said:
Game publishers are just catching up with other copyright holders in the digital age. Music publishers own the rights to any music of theirs that gets published, and thus any money earned from views. Same with movie studios. I have a few popular videos on YouTube, but I don't legally get to collect any money from them because I don't own the content, and that's fair. If I owned the content, I'd be pissed if someone else was making money of it.

I agree it's fair. The problem is when they go after the people who aren't making any money, which happens all too often.

I only had one music studio require a take down.  Which sucked, because it was one of my favorite videos that I put together.  But again, I don't own the content, I just mash it together.  Since I can only claim ownership to the entire work and not to the parts I used to create the videos, I don't feel I have a complaint.  If someone took the video I created and subsequently used it in whole, I would be pissed.  If someone who held the copyright to one of the works I used in my video did, I wouldn't be pissed but honored that they felt it was worth publishing as their own.

Around the Network
Player2 said:
Mr Khan said:
Adinnieken said:
Game publishers are just catching up with other copyright holders in the digital age. Music publishers own the rights to any music of theirs that gets published, and thus any money earned from views. Same with movie studios. I have a few popular videos on YouTube, but I don't legally get to collect any money from them because I don't own the content, and that's fair. If I owned the content, I'd be pissed if someone else was making money of it.

I agree it's fair. The problem is when they go after the people who aren't making any money, which happens all too often.

You know that the AVGN wouldn't exist if all the companies did the same, right?

I think AVGN would fall under "fair use." Like how companies reviewing a video game don't have to pay for rights to put game footage in a video review.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

DaHuuuuuudge said:
archer9234 said:

It's bull. Reviewing something falls under fair-use. It's FREE ADVERTISING. You'll just make those fans hate you in the end. EA and Micro are breaking the law. Youtube should step in when something like this occures

it's only fair use if no revenue is generated from it.

I wholly agree with copyright laws (including expiration dates on them, resulting in an IP's release into public domain).

No. VG Chartz and every other gaming website would be closed... Plus countless other people. AVGN, Zero Puncuation etc. for example.

It is a bit ridiculous if companies were going after people such as the AVGN (perhaps they're afraid of their game being in the 'shitty game' category), but what about ones who LP games? There are arguments that this promotes the game, and gets people interested. On the other hand, some argue that the LPer finishing the game actually loses sales because people have seen what the ending has to offer.

Personally, I think it's a bit stupid, since I watch a few games that NintendoCapriSun has LPed, and I've ended up buying a few titles because of it (even games that are old still get some Virtual Console loving. Even though I completed Mystic Quest a long time ago, the LP motivated me to play through it again).

fordy said:
It is a bit ridiculous if companies were going after people such as the AVGN (perhaps they're afraid of their game being in the 'shitty game' category), but what about ones who LP games? There are arguments that this promotes the game, and gets people interested. On the other hand, some argue that the LPer finishing the game actually loses sales because people have seen what the ending has to offer.

Personally, I think it's a bit stupid, since I watch a few games that NintendoCapriSun has LPed, and I've ended up buying a few titles because of it (even games that are old still get some Virtual Console loving. Even though I completed Mystic Quest a long time ago, the LP motivated me to play through it again).

I like LPs because it provides point of references for almost any game worth referencing (and quite a few that aren't). So if i need to pull a reference to "that one bossfight in The Last Story," say, then it probably exists.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Fair use allows for bits of copyright content to be used for the purpose of critique. All those "Let's Plays" aren't reviewing anything. It's no different than running a ripped movie on youtube.

If you want to do a legitimate review there is a legal way to do it. But if all you are doing is uploading long videos of games, movies, etc. then you are breaking the law.

kain_kusanagi said:
Fair use allows for bits of copyright content to be used for the purpose of critique. All those "Let's Plays" aren't reviewing anything. It's no different than running a ripped movie on youtube.

If you want to do a legitimate review there is a legal way to do it. But if all you are doing is uploading long videos of games, movies, etc. then you are breaking the law.

In some sense, you are still missing some elements of a game with an LP, unlike posted music. The gameplay is still an important element, otherwise you're not getting the "full experience" of the game.

Besides, what about LPers who provide other things during the gameplay, like some comedy or anecdotes? Is this any different from A show that plays music in the background of their news story?

Well only youtubers in America gets paid

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Mr Khan said:
Player2 said:
Mr Khan said:
Adinnieken said:

You know that the AVGN wouldn't exist if all the companies did the same, right?

I think AVGN would fall under "fair use." Like how companies reviewing a video game don't have to pay for rights to put game footage in a video review.

Who decides which is or isn't "fair use"?

fordy said:
kain_kusanagi said:

In some sense, you are still missing some elements of a game with an LP, unlike posted music. The gameplay is still an important element, otherwise you're not getting the "full experience" of the game.

Besides, what about LPers who provide other things during the gameplay, like some comedy or anecdotes? Is this any different from A show that plays music in the background of their news story?

You can't post an entire movie with your own commentary, without license from the content owner. Mystery Science Theater 3000 used public domain movies or they paid for the right to use a movie. You can't use someone else's content, add your own stuff on top, and them publish it to the web for everyone to watch.

A show that plays music in the background of their news story paid for that music.