By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony: Wii U tech "something Vita and PS3 can do quite easily"

archbrix said:
JoeTheBro said:
archbrix said:
JoeTheBro said

Of course a Vita/PS3 can do that. Wait till Sony, if ever, makes a game from the ground up for cross-controller before saying the Vita/ps3 can't do something. Your evidence is just from a couple minutes with a single demo* for vita/ps3 verse a whole launch lineup with extensive demos for Wii U. Hopefully LBP cross-controller will offer enough tools for these features to be demonstrated by the community.

*I really don't consider PSASBR to belong in this discussion. Yes the vita can be used as a controller, but that is roughly the extent of it. In no way is it aiming to be what the Wii U is.

My claim is based on evidence we've seen so far whereas yours is highly presumptuous.  And I'm not talking about something incredibly simple; I'm talking about a full-fledged PS3 game displaying simultaneously on both screens and with only one game running, ala my examples above.  As of now I am skeptical, as the PS3 was not designed around this streaming functionality like WiiU was, and I stand by my claim, plain and simple.

And yes, PSASBR does factor into this discussion as it futher goes to my point that the Vita must be running its own, separate game for it to work as it does.

1.  Again wait till you know details on why it can't do something. You are saying Vita/PS3 can't do things only because you haven't seen them done. That is like saying China doesn't exist because you haven't been there. So why don't I buy you a plane ticket so you can see for yourself?

2.  You have no idea how long this took to find since Sony kept changing the name of cross-controller but here is a video from TGS 2011. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGyVA5OUoEg Way back then they had it working with both the TV and Vita screens displaying unique PS3 quality graphics. Your first point "Can PS3/Vita cross controller play display Little Big Planet 2's full screen PS3 graphics on both the TV and the Vita simultaneously?  Nope." is wrong.

3.  Sadly your second point I do not have any concrete evidence against. The best I have is my Vita and this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj8b1HRAY4s as well as an official pdf. In the video you can see he is playing as player one with two other local players. This at first shows he is doing cross-controller and not cross-play. The fact he is player one really goes against the thought of him joining a PS3 game instead of playing it. This agrees with https://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/120605a_e.pdf saying that "The Cross-Controller feature allows a player to use PS Vita as a controller to play games on PS3®, by utilizing its rich features including touch screen, rear touch pad, six-axis motion sensing system, and cameras.". Nothing in the pdf states or even implies a Vita game is used. But this pdf is outdated so their plans "could" have changed. In addition within the Vita's menus cross-controller is located under remote-play, not say LBP PS Vita. This again supports the notion that only the PS3 version of PSASBR is needed. Other games also don't need a Vita version. For LBP don't you think it would be strange if they allways called it LBP2 cross-controller if you needed LBP PS Vita too? Do you have any sources suggesting otherwise?

1.  First off, saying, "Of course a Vita/PS3 can do that" is no different.  Assuming that China doesn't exist becasuse I haven't seen it first hand is an absurd analogy, as there is at least overwhelming evidence that it does.  Speaking to my claim, there is not one shred of evidence supporting what you're saying; at least not yet.  Which brings me to your second point...

2.  Is it wrong?  I have a feeling that the video you provided is just showing the Vita screen twice.  There is never any indication that the screen on the left is the TV running at the same time.  I see why you would assume it was, but I think they are just showing a direct feed of the Vita screen on the left and filming the handheld itself on the right.  I could be wrong, but again, the evidence where you actually see both screens on display shows otherwise:

Notice how the Vita is displaying only simple shapes while LBP2 is running on the "TV".  When Sackboy enters the pipe near the end, the action switches to the Vita while the TV screen stops.  This video was from Gamescom only a couple of months ago and none of the floor demos from the show prove otherwise.  So no, I'm not convinced that the PS3 can stream the game to the Vita while still maintaining it fully playable on the TV.

3.  Regarding using the Vita as a controller for the PS3, that was never in question, so I don't know why you brought that up.  As for that video, the Vita could very well be running PSASBR along with the PS3.  If it isn't, then that would at least prove that the image is being displayed simultaneously, which I will admit that there is some credibility there, but as of now we don't know (or at least I don't).  Sony is wisely including the Vita version of the game with the PS3 version, which also adds weight to the assumption that both versions are needed for cross-play. 

And this is to say nothing of the fact that COD: BO2 for WiiU is actually supporting the game independently on both screens; not just outputting the same image to the controller, but providing that player's full independent view of the level.  So again, I stand by my claim that it's questionable if PS3/Vita is capable of easily replicating what WiiU can do as far as the console game running simultaneously on both screens and with only one copy of the game.

Please don't be this stubborn trying to find fault with evidence. I could flat out say "I'm right and you're wrong" or even better just not respond. But instead I'll keep posting until you understand.

First off did you take a moment to look at what was being displayed on each screen? It is a different image with the one on the left indeed being PS3. If you don't believe me, just watch the TGS 2011 Sony Vita conference. It occurs at about 41 minutes in. http://www.gamespot.com/littlebigplanet-2/videos/tgs-2011-ps-vita-tgs-2011-keynote-address-6334709/ This is Sony directly showing your point is wrong.

You are correct about point three, only because you said cross-play instead of cross-controller. Sony includes free PS Vita versions for cross-play games so that the game can swap back and forth between both systems and have a shared multiplayer. Cross-controller is unrelated.

TGS 2011 demo of LBP2 again proves this wrong. Will we have to wait till LBP2 cross-controller dlc is released do understand this or is Sony's own demonstration valid enough?

Around the Network
TGM said:
Lol damage control brought to you by Sony

With supporting act to follow from "Turkish"

Tickets SOLD OUT!!!

....(We didn't print enough).

JoeTheBro said:
archbrix said:

1.  First off, saying, "Of course a Vita/PS3 can do that" is no different.  Assuming that China doesn't exist becasuse I haven't seen it first hand is an absurd analogy, as there is at least overwhelming evidence that it does.  Speaking to my claim, there is not one shred of evidence supporting what you're saying; at least not yet.  Which brings me to your second point...

2.  Is it wrong?  I have a feeling that the video you provided is just showing the Vita screen twice.  There is never any indication that the screen on the left is the TV running at the same time.  I see why you would assume it was, but I think they are just showing a direct feed of the Vita screen on the left and filming the handheld itself on the right.  I could be wrong, but again, the evidence where you actually see both screens on display shows otherwise:

Notice how the Vita is displaying only simple shapes while LBP2 is running on the "TV".  When Sackboy enters the pipe near the end, the action switches to the Vita while the TV screen stops.  This video was from Gamescom only a couple of months ago and none of the floor demos from the show prove otherwise.  So no, I'm not convinced that the PS3 can stream the game to the Vita while still maintaining it fully playable on the TV.

3.  Regarding using the Vita as a controller for the PS3, that was never in question, so I don't know why you brought that up.  As for that video, the Vita could very well be running PSASBR along with the PS3.  If it isn't, then that would at least prove that the image is being displayed simultaneously, which I will admit that there is some credibility there, but as of now we don't know (or at least I don't).  Sony is wisely including the Vita version of the game with the PS3 version, which also adds weight to the assumption that both versions are needed for cross-play. 

And this is to say nothing of the fact that COD: BO2 for WiiU is actually supporting the game independently on both screens; not just outputting the same image to the controller, but providing that player's full independent view of the level.  So again, I stand by my claim that it's questionable if PS3/Vita is capable of easily replicating what WiiU can do as far as the console game running simultaneously on both screens and with only one copy of the game.

Please don't be this stubborn trying to find fault with evidence. I could flat out say "I'm right and you're wrong" or even better just not respond. But instead I'll keep posting until you understand.

First off did you take a moment to look at what was being displayed on each screen? It is a different image with the one on the left indeed being PS3. If you don't believe me, just watch the TGS 2011 Sony Vita conference. It occurs at about 41 minutes in. http://www.gamespot.com/littlebigplanet-2/videos/tgs-2011-ps-vita-tgs-2011-keynote-address-6334709/ This is Sony directly showing your point is wrong.

You are correct about point three, only because you said cross-play instead of cross-controller. Sony includes free PS Vita versions for cross-play games so that the game can swap back and forth between both systems and have a shared multiplayer. Cross-controller is unrelated.

TGS 2011 demo of LBP2 again proves this wrong. Will we have to wait till LBP2 cross-controller dlc is released do understand this or is Sony's own demonstration valid enough?

Please don't accuse someone of being stubborn when you have not provided substantial evidence to support your claim...

Now that you have shown unequivocally that it was indeed the PS3 and Vita, I will concede to that.  However, Gamescom was only a couple of months ago - why isn't LBP2 shown to do that same functionality with the most recent build?

On a separate note, another point in which Sony's claim in the thread title is misleading is that WiiU can stream a console game to the controller and back with ease.  You can't do this remote play feature with very many PS3 games at all; Shuhei Yoshida himself stated that for technical reasons it wasn't possible to have remote play as a standard feature... something that WiiU seems to be able to accomplish with all games out of the box, although the controller is not portable like the Vita is.

sony makes me lol so much... is the same with them since 2006

34 years playing games.

"Sony: Wii U tech 'something Vita and PS3 can do quite easily'"

Cool, lets see it.

Around the Network
wfz said:
happydolphin said:
LOL, yeah, you need to buy two consoles to do what the other can do alone. *clap clap*

The idea is that PS3 owners only need to buy a Vita instead of a Wii U to have the same experience. It's cheaper and "the same." (Not really the same for a number of functional reasons, but that's what Sony is trying to get at).

lol, that makes me think of the infamous charts.

(yes, the chart is a complete joke and only included for the lulz)

Already posted, several times...

locking

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.