By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - What would be the best option to get more parties involved/elected in the USA?

SamuelRSmith said:
Jumpin said:

Government ::UNITED STATES
conventional long form: United States of America
conventional short form: United States
abbreviation: US or USA

Constitution-based federal republic; strong democratic tradition

-CIA World Factbook

In otherwords, a Democratic Republic; both Democracy and a Republic.

I'm not disputing that. I'm disputing your definition of a "republic", which means something different in regards to the way the American system is set up, to what you described "republic" to mean (which is the term applied to other republics).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republicanism_in_the_United_States

I though a republic was basically a state with a monarch. The Republican party in the USA is something completely different to that

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network
the2real4mafol said:

I though a republic was basically a state with a monarch. The Republican party in the USA is something completely different to that

No.  A republic is one in which political offices are elected positions, either directly or indirectly, and no position is inherited.  For example, If your father was President, you don't become President when he passes away. 

Most Republics where an effective monarch exists/has existed, is one in which the leader is propped up.  Often by the military or the government itself.  Iraq was a republic, but it was propped up by Saddam Hussein and the Baath party so to effectively keep Sunni Muslim's in control.  Republicanism can exist in a monarchy, but a Republic cannot exist in a monarchy.

Republicanism =/= the Republican Party (GOP) in the USA. 

The Republican Party doesn't hold true to republican values any more than the Democratic Party does.  That said, both hold some republican values of republicanism.

Adinnieken said:
the2real4mafol said:

No.  A republic is one in which political offices are elected positions, either directly or indirectly, and no position is inherited.  For example, If your father was President, you don't become President when he passes away. 

Most Republics where an effective monarch exists/has existed, is one in which the leader is propped up.  Often by the military or the government itself.  Iraq was a republic, but it was propped up by Saddam Hussein and the Baath party so to effectively keep Sunni Muslim's in control.  Republicanism can exist in a monarchy, but a Republic cannot exist in a monarchy.

Republicanism =/= the Republican Party (GOP) in the USA. 

The Republican Party doesn't hold true to republican values any more than the Democratic Party does.  That said, both hold some republican values of republicanism.

yeah both parties are similiar in some ways. Thanks for clearing that up

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018