By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - "New" PS3 Pricing Explanation

The new PS3 "Slim" was announced today and the pricing may have shocked some people. I believe I have figured out why the pricing is so different in different regions.

First of all they are releasing 3 models 12GB, 250GB and 500GB. In the USA they are releasing the 250GB at 269 USD a $20 increase on the old model. 12GB Model is being released only in Europe/PAL regions at 229 Euros. Japan is also getting the 250GB as their cheapest at 24,900 YEN.

I believe exchange rates play a major role in the new prices. Here is what the prices convert into:

USA: 250GB model at 269 USD converts to 21,300 YEN

PAL/Europe 12GB model at 229 converts to 23,700 YEN

Both of these prices are lower than the Japanese price of almost 25,000 YEN. If Sony where to cut the price to 229 in the USA they would be getting 18,000 YEN per console which is almost a 25% drop from the Japanese price.

Thoughts?

Around the Network

Don't forget taxes. In Europe, the 229€ includes the sales tax, ~20% in most countries.

Well done Sony. Instead of a price cut they increase the prices. Sometimes I wanna punch them in the face. It looks Sony people work against Sony.

kowenicki said:
I don't get this 12gb model. 229euros. People have been picking up The current slim with much more memory for less than that. It feels like a price increase doesn't it?

That's exactly what it looks like, if I were to get a new PS3 this new model would not even be enticing.

I can get a PS3 with 320 GB for 213 Euro on Amazon.de right now.

So this is expected to boost PS3 sales?

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network

yea but the lower prices are due to retailers on current models isnt it? couldnt that mean some retailers will reduce the 12gb one which could mean being sold at 200 maybe. Yea just looked up that old article on poland's leak of the new ps3 the 12gb one is being advertised at 199euro's or is that fake

there really is no point to this new model if it isnt cheaper. what are sony playing at? will this even give a boost at all?

12gb memory 229 euros?

Sony? I thought this was supposed to be the killer move?

Yay!!!

Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
12gb memory 229 euros?

The move that´ll kill them

AndrewWK said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
12gb memory 229 euros?

The move that´ll kill them

I think the only boost that Sony will get is the current slim stock clear out lol. 

Yay!!!