By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: Wii U will sell under 40 million units

Tachikoma said:
snowdog said:
I couldn't disagree more. I'm personally expecting it to shift 10-15m units before the PS4 and 720 are released, and due to Nintendo's (surprising!) forward thinking regarding the console's architecture combined with the U having a standard rendering pipeline this time around it won't have any problems getting multiplatform titles after the PS4 and 720 are released.

Necro threads never fail to bring up the gold.

Amazing, that is indeed pure gold.

This thread gave me a good laugh, you nailed it Man Bear Pig.

Around the Network
estebxx said:
Tachikoma said:
snowdog said:
I couldn't disagree more. I'm personally expecting it to shift 10-15m units before the PS4 and 720 are released, and due to Nintendo's (surprising!) forward thinking regarding the console's architecture combined with the U having a standard rendering pipeline this time around it won't have any problems getting multiplatform titles after the PS4 and 720 are released.

Where's the gold? people just couldn't predict third parties would BS all over the place.

Materia-Blade said:
estebxx said:
Tachikoma said:
snowdog said:

Where's the gold? people just couldn't predict third parties would BS all over the place.

exactly, and that to me is pure gold there.

Turkish said:

It will sell less than 20 million.

if this post wasnt edited recently (though i expect it was), then turkish was the only person close to being right.

and currently it looks likely that it will sell around 15 million.

Talal said:
Kerotan said:
This was a brutal bump. I love these as it gives you the mindset of everyone before I read these forums and only lurked for the charts.

It also shows how silly people are these days when they proclaim how stupid nintendo were and how they did everything wrong. Yet at the time it released nearly everyone thought they were doing everything right. We're all wise after the fact.

Exactly. So many people right now talk as if their failure was easy to see and how Nintendo totally got their philosophy wrong, when back then most of them thought that the Wii U design was an amazing innovation and how it will sell so amazingly since it was going to draw 3DS users with the gamepad. Very few thought it would fail before it launched. 

No offense, but it really sounds like revisionist history on your part.  There were alot of people that had negative doom and gloom regarding the Wii U's design and planning.  I for one bashed the Wii U incessantly (on other boards because of the mods here) because of the lack of a "real harddrive".....lack of a good networking system.....the fact that the Wii U was underpowered and lack of full 1080p  capability.....and lack of BluRay or even DVD capability.

It was very obvious that the Wi would be and/or perform subpar to people who were truly subjective.

Here's some of my posts:

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/as-far-as-im-concerned-without-a-true-harddrive-wii-u-is-doomed.452552994/

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/iwata-xbox-live-and-psn-are-too-far-developed-for-nintendo-to-catch-up.452530853/

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/if-the-wii-u-fails-will-nintendo-exit-the-home-console-business.452761045/

Around the Network
Persistantthug said:

No offense, but it really sounds like revisionist history on your part.  There were alot of people that had negative doom and gloom regarding the Wii U's design and planning.  I for one bashed the Wii U incessantly (on other boards because of the mods here) because of the lack of a "real harddrive".....lack of a good networking system.....the fact that the Wii U was underpowered and lack of full 1080p  capability.....and lack of BluRay or even DVD capability.

There were a few that predicted troubles from the get go and I acknowledged that, but they were definitely the minority here. You can ask anyone who was active here before the Wii U launched. Overall people were optimistic and this thread right here is enough proof of that.

Besides, my point is that a lot of Nintendo fans on this site act like the whole philosophy of the Wii U was the wrong choice and how Nintendo were stupid for not seeing that and you see some of them in old threads saying that it's gonna be a success.

Edit: And to be honest I was one of the optimistic people. I definitely knew that it was gonna be a big decline from the Wii, but I was expecting it to do at least 50 million. The difference is I don't pretend that I knew it was gonna fail even before it launched.

007BondAgent said:
melbye said:
And i'm calling 20 million sold by the end of 2013

ahahaha

melbye has been the closest to Wii U LTD so far, nobody see that coming except him.

Edit: somehow i didn't see by the end of 2013, he was as much wrong as lot of people.

Angelv577 said:
007BondAgent said:
melbye said:
And i'm calling 20 million sold by the end of 2013

ahahaha

melbye has been the closest to Wii U LTD so far, nobody see that coming except him.

Edit: somehow i didn't see by the end of 2013, he was as much wrong as lot of people.

Maybe he meant 2023 :P

Soundwave said:
thatguymarco said:
Holy shit. What the hell where these guys thinking when the Wii U came out? Seriously, I knew that the Nintendo bias was strong here, but "no chance for under 50m", c'mon maaaaaaaaaan, that's just hilarious. XD

The goal posts just kept getting moved back. 

"Wii U will have a better 2015 than 2014, just wait for the price cut!"

Is basically the new lowered expectations version of "no chance Wii U won't hit 50 million!" from 3-4 years ago. 

Look like my prediction of Wii U and Vita not hitting 40 million combined LTD from Nov. 2013 is panning out to be fairly spot on. Lots of denial there too like "PS4 will cause a big boost in Vita sales!" ... lol. 

At least for those who posted on this thread back in 2012, who are currently looking like PS2 fans who looked at the PS3 as the second coming, price be damned back in 2006, it looks like the new standard for declaring Wii U a success will be proving the OP prediction wrong by breaking 40m units. 

Both the Wii U and the PSV will be prematurely abandoned, making your own prediction more likely than not. 

I can potentially see SCE keeping the PSV in production simply because it supports the PS4 and production costs will probably be low enough to keep Sony from losing money on each unit sold, but as a gaming platform, it's become a mobile game platform like iOS or Android (only the games are more expensive) rather than a handheld platform (like the 3DS) and Japan is about the only region still supporting the development of handheld titles. 

Persistantthug said:

It was very obvious that the Wi would be and/or perform subpar to people who were truly subjective.

While there were people who predicted that the Wii U would not perform well, almost nobody predicted the actual level of failure.  Take the 2013 prediction thread for example.  The average prediction was triple what actual sales were.  Out of 76 people not a single one expected sales as low as they ended up being.  The lowest prediction was still 25% higher than actual sales.  The second lowest 45% higher, and the third lowest was 90% higher.  The images in the 2014 prediction thread are dead, but I seem to recall only three people undershot sales out of the dozens of predictions.

In general, Wii U sales have been even worse than the most pessimistic expectations.  Especially for that first year, and definitely compared to those prior to release.