By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The ten year decline of Sony (article)

Although Sony finaly seems to be doing quite well with the playstation 3 right now, this article has an analysis of Sony's situation as a company. Quite informative and there was a lot of stuff I didn't know.

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/09/08/the-ten-year-decline-of-sony/

Just hope their games division stays alive as they make some kickass games.

Around the Network

Great article.

Google’s Total Assets: $86.05 Billion
Apple’s Total Assets: $162.90 Billion
Microsoft’s Total Assets: $121.27 Billion
Sony’s Total Assets: $166.22 Billion

Never knew Sony had more asset than those companies. Hope Kaz Hirai rejuvenates the company.

That's a really interesting and informative article

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

great article. after reading all of that,it makes sense,why there not what they use to be.

A very clear article. Boy, some of those quotes are real stingers.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network

@kowenicki,

Reading the article, it's easy to see that their assets are not the only measure of how well the company is doing. But I was also impressed that they had so much assents. Didn't know Sony was that big compared to the others.

Now, what REALLY worries me is the section in the article titled "The War Inside Sony: Engineers vs Executives". Sony is not doomed by their current status. They might be doomed if they cannot reverse this trend. To reverse a trend, you must change your internal structure if it's problematic. This section showed me how problematic it really is. It even shows lack of respect between their leaders.

As I said, I really hope they change.

EDIT: seems like I a word

Sad article if you a sony fan or a fan of playstation...future does not look good!

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

kowenicki said:

Edit*  Read the article now, I hadn't when I posted the above, but it seems to make the same points I have been making for about 2 years.  But I am a hater.

kowenicki you are a hater. That is one of the most obvious things on this site.

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Wow... I'm the boss, i'm saying this needs to cost less money and doesn't need to be so extravagant, and you ignore me? Sir, we have a problem. Step into my office.

4 ≈ One

"...Sony will sell PS Vita at a loss for three years. I don’t get the feeling that Sony looked at PS3 and said, “Maybe we should try to make a profit with Vita on year one”. There’s no sense of learning from past mistakes about taking major losses. There’s so many branches at Sony that the top executives seem clueless of what’s going on inside their own company, and nobody knows why Sony is selling so many television models when they are constantly losing money in that division."

This is the crux of the entire article, and the idea that currently defines the company. When will they learn? Or will they ever? If they launch the PS4 and don't make a profit for 3-4 years, will it be the last Playstation console the world will ever see? It is within the realm of possibility.