By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Thinking about buying a DS

I have some money left, and I'm wondering if I should buy a DS. Probably not, but I want your opinion. I'll buy the DS primaliry for the RPG's. At the moment I want Zelda, Pokemon and the upcoming DQ IX & Kingdom Hearts. I'm barely informed about the DS so I have some questions (for your information: I live in Belgium (Europe))

1) Are there any packs available? If so, what games can I get with my DS? What are the prices?
2) Any good games? I'm not gonna buy it for Pokemon and Zelda. The Phoenix Wright games seem fun, are they available in Europe? Any good RPG's available for the DS? I was thinking about that SE RPG, the world ends with you. Any good?
3) Can I enjoy Zelda without having played The Windwaker?

That's about it for the moment :) 

Around the Network

(1) Yes, you can get the Zelda pack, for example. You can get the 'player's choice' pack at Walmart and choose between a variety of games.

(2) There are tons of great games. I just got a DS in December and already have 11 games. i'm currently playing Simcity (which I *love*) and Zelda, but Elite Beat Agents if you like beat games, New Super Mario Brothers if you like platformers, Mario Kart DS if you like racers, etc are all amazing games. The DS is the best system for gaming right now, and it has a pile of RPGs already out and a pile more coming.

(3) Yep. It doesn't build on wind waker at all, although it uses a similar art style and you have a boat. However, you don't spend nearly as much time at sea as wind waker.

It's also worth noting that there are tons of great games that have become bargain priced.  You can get many DS games for $20 or less, occationally finding good deals for $9-$13 -- Elite Beat Agents was recently available for $10, for example, and it's normally $35.  Stores sometimes have "buy any 2 of the following DS games for $20 total" deals, and there are often bins full of bargain priced DS games at stores.

It is just a very fun little system with tons of great games and interesting new gameplay due to the stylus.  The stylus is closer to a mouse in behavior, so a lot of computer games (Simcity, Myst) can get ported easily.

Just do it. If you know you want portable gaming there is really only one choice.

Also I repeat what thebigfatj said in regards to points 1,2, and 3.

Maybe you should wait for Kingdom Hearts being released, with Chain of Memories you could buy a limited Kingdom Hearts Game boy.

If you buy a DS you certainly have to look out for The world Ends with you (game from Nomura)

BE warned of the DS. I planned on not buying one. I wanted to be happy with my GBA. I tried so hard but all of the good puzzle and RPGs sucked me in! I've already bought too many good games. I don't see myself stopping anytime soon. The games are tons of fun and so cheap.

Cooking Mama ($16 used)
Flash Focus Vision training in minutes a day ($17.50)
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ($30)
Mah Jong Quest Expeditions ($16)
Meteos ($10)
Puzzle Quest ($10)

I'll likely buy the following games if I ever see them cheap:
Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day
Clubhouse Games
Donkey Kong Jungle Climber
Dragon Quest 4
Dragon Quest 5
Dragon Quest 6
Dragon Quest 9
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 6
Konami Classics: Arcade Hits
My Word Coach
New Super Mario Brothers
Picross DS
Planet Puzzle League
Puyo Pop
Tetris DS
Touchmaster
Wordjong

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Around the Network

It's region free so you don't need to worry about whether games or particular packs are available in Belgium. As you clearly speak English buying US games shouldn't present any problems. There are plenty of US sites which will ship worldwide and there's always eBay. Europe doesn't really have any decent packs so I'd recommend buying an import on eBay. The Zelda gold pack looks pretty cool and you can pick one up for around £100.

Posting under this as it won't let me log in to my main account.

I got one for Cmas... I like it alot... I have Advance Wars, Pokemon, Mario Kart, and Brain Training 2, I would recomend all 4 of those games.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Zuhyc buy it or wait till KH. (And don't forget the FF games on the DS ) but I am not sure that you are a fan of it =s..

I will highly recommend the Zelda package, one of the best games out there, in a excellent system.

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

This is coming from a guy who has owned both a PSP and a DS since their respective launches in 2004. You will not regret buying a DS! Honestly, my PSP is currently collecting dust.

Advantages of buying a DS:

- Huge library of games with quality games from both First and Third party publishers
- Legend of Zelda on the DS is a refreshing experience you need to check out
- Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection growing stronger with many new games supporting online play (maybe a MMO RPG soon)
- CHECK THIS SITE FOR YOUR RPGS
http://www.ds-rpg.com/prelaunch/