By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony CEO says PlayStation Vita sales ‘trending behind’ in some regions

Wow, that is shocking

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network

Trending behind is putting it nicely.

By "some" does he mean "all"?

Maybe that was a little unfair ... Realistically, I would expect that Sony anticipated shipping between 1 and 2 million units to every region by now, and they may have passed 1 million units shipped in many regions. This would hardly be considered good performance though because, while adding up the expectations of each region give expected shipments of 3 to 6 million, I think the platform as a whole was never expected to perform at the low end of their predictions across all regions; and they probably predicted total shipments to be in the 4.5 to 6 million unit range by now.

Face value, good. Though it's a euphemism at least it's much more honest about the situation.

I kinda like him.
So the Vita is trending behind in some regions, those regions have to be huge. Has Sony not said they want to sell 10 million Vitas by the end of the fiscal year? Well is it just me or does this seem really unlikely.

Around the Network
AndrewWK said:
I kinda like him.
So the Vita is trending behind in some regions, those regions have to be huge. Has Sony not said they want to sell 10 million Vitas by the end of the fiscal year? Well is it just me or does this seem really unlikely.

I suspect Sony knows the PS-Vita is under-performing and will just make adjustments to their forecast with every financial statement ...

Their Q2 report will probably reduce it from 10 Million units to 8 million units, and Q3 will reduce it from 8 million to 6 million, they'll channel stuff in Q4 and announce that they shipped 6.5 Million units by the end of March 31st 2013 and the PS-Vita beat their expectations.

They obviously had extremely low hopes of it being an early success if that is true.
Personally I see it as a total failure so far with very little hope of it ever doing a phoenix.

Time will tell if Sony has truly lost the plot with the Vita or otherwise.

Wow, how low were his expectations?

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

AndrewWK said:
I kinda like him.

Their original fiscal year projection (April 1st 2012 to March 31st 2013 so it doesn't include any launch sales) was 16 million for Vita+PSP.... they since downgraded that to 12 million.

I think there was a prediction made (or stated) by a Sony employee a few months ago that they expected 10 million for Vita alone by the end of the calendar year (that's cumulative so it includes launch, but i'm not sure if it's an official expectation or just one employee's opinion)

Hopefully the vita manages to pull through when the big titles come later on in the year, and lets hope the company can get itself on track financially to continue making great products well into the future.