By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why does Hongkong belong to communist China instead of democratic China? (Taiwan)

Didn't Great Britain and the last Chinese Empire have an agreement that after 99 years of leasing Hongkong would be returned to China? 

So why did communist China get Hongkong instead of the Republic of China (which today consists of only Taiwan)? I mean the peoples republik of China was created in 1949 but the republik of China is the real successor to the last Chinese Empire and was formed in 1912. 37 years before the communist peoples republic of China was formed.

I know it has probably something to do with stupid money etc. so Great Britain won't have a bad realtionship with the country that makes all our cheap plastic crap but seriously....

The transfer of Hongkong to the peoples republic of China is wrong and another proof of how corrupt our world is and as long as its about money ethics etc don't matter.

Discuss please.

P.S  Do you think that if Hongkong would have ended up with Taiwan , communist China would have started to occupy Taiwan?
(communist China could never declare war on Taiwan because to declare war they would have to accept Taiwan as a seperate country first. Communist China thinks Taiwan is part of communist China. You cant decalre war on yourself right?)

Around the Network

Because by the 1970s or so most of the world accepted the reality that the PRC is China. That's not a matter of opinion, especially since it was Richard Nixon who was the first to extend the olive branch. Jiang Jieshi's Nationalist government was not the immediate successor to the Qing Dynasty, who fell in 1912 and were replaced for a *very* brief period of time by an elected government in the vision of Sun Yat-sen's desires. The later 10s and most of the 20s were a period of Somalia-esque anarchy for China, and it wasn't until 1928 that Jiang won recognition from the powers-that-be countries (in a manner similarly controversial to how Mao took control and later had to slowly win recognition).

In fact, i'm editing this thread title, because it warps the terms of the argument.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Because we (the West) recognised the PRC as the legitimate government of China. For example, its permanent Security Council seat.

As to why territory is the way it is, these things are not based on fairness or "rights" to some land. It's based on military superiority and the determination of the people. Mainland Chinese people see PRC as government -> PRC is the rightful owner of mainland China.

We gave it back not because of the contract so much as because the UK no longer wished to have an empire. And the PRC made more sense to give it back 'to'.