By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - LBP sold 8 million!

AndrewWK said:

Ok that would be just pathetic to do.

How so?

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
AndrewWK said:

Ok that would be just pathetic to do.

How so?

It is just trying to make an IP more successful as it is. Because if it was free it is not sold, it´s given away. Many people downloaded this game just because it was free and because they think it is an awesome title or something. I mean only if this really was the case. You understand what I mean?

tonio_13 said:
I'm sure he said 8 millions LEVELS created, not game sold.

No. My ears do not deceive me, dont suggest that. I made a thread some days ago that 7 million levels have been made.

AndrewWK said:
Jay520 said:
AndrewWK said:
Jay520 said:

I think he means LittleBigPlanet 1 only. (Including the free downloads from the outage). We have the LittleBigPlanet series at well over 9 million.

I think he meant the 2 PS3 titles, but there is no proof. We have no official numbers so this Thread is pure speculation

Possibly. But I don't see the benefit in excluding the handheld title. It seems like it would be relavent with the upcoming PSV installment. Besides, I doubt he would focus on only the PS3 titles without clarifying. That would be deliberatlely misleading.

This is just pure speculation. But for me it is the most probable. The first game has never sold not even shipped 8 million copies. I would bet everything I have on it. And if all of them have sold 8 million then VGChartz has huge tracking which was never the case.

That is pure speculation on your part. It is highly likely that LBP did 8 million copies on its own. The game is damn popular. If it wasnt, we wouldnt see so many sequels on it.

Turkish said:
AndrewWK said:
Jay520 said:
AndrewWK said:
Jay520 said:

I think he means LittleBigPlanet 1 only. (Including the free downloads from the outage). We have the LittleBigPlanet series at well over 9 million.

I think he meant the 2 PS3 titles, but there is no proof. We have no official numbers so this Thread is pure speculation

Possibly. But I don't see the benefit in excluding the handheld title. It seems like it would be relavent with the upcoming PSV installment. Besides, I doubt he would focus on only the PS3 titles without clarifying. That would be deliberatlely misleading.

This is just pure speculation. But for me it is the most probable. The first game has never sold not even shipped 8 million copies. I would bet everything I have on it. And if all of them have sold 8 million then VGChartz has huge tracking which was never the case.

That is pure speculation on your part. It is highly likely that LBP did 8 million copies on its own. The game is damn popular. If it wasnt, we wouldnt see so many sequels on it.

It is popular  no doubt and almost 5millions show the popularity. But there is no proof whatsoever this game sold 8 million but we have a very serious source which says it sold slightly less then 5 and until Sony releases some offical numbers I will believe the figures we have.

Around the Network
AndrewWK said:
Turkish said:
AndrewWK said:
Jay520 said:
AndrewWK said:
Jay520 said:

It is popular  no doubt and almost 5millions show the popularity. But there is no proof whatsoever this game sold 8 million but we have a very serious source which says it sold slightly less then 5 and until Sony releases some offical numbers I will believe the figures we have.

5m retail sales, 3 million digital sales+free psn game last year should be plausible.

Don't you love when vague statements are given like this? This will fuel many a forum fight ...

Jay520 said:

PosGamePlatformYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1 LittleBigPlanet PS3 2008 Platform Sony Computer Entertainment 2.48 1.55 0.17 0.75 4.95
2 LittleBigPlanet 2 PS3 2011 Platform Sony Computer Entertainment 1.41 0.76 0.06 0.37 2.60
3 LittleBigPlanet PSP 2009 Platform Sony Computer Entertainment 0.54 0.97 0.01 0.55 2.07
Total4.433.280.241.679.62

Well, I'll be honset, I could easily see the first LBP and the PSP LBP being overtracked.  On the other hand, all three games likely sold a decent amount digitally.   But would that count in shipment totals?  Did he say shipped or sold?

And at the same time, he could've easily been referring to just LBP1 or the LBP console games.  

There's so many unknowns here that it's probably pointless to do much speculating.

CGI-Quality said:
Turkish said:
tonio_13 said:
I'm sure he said 8 millions LEVELS created, not game sold.

No. My ears do not deceive me, dont suggest that. I made a thread some days ago that 7 million levels have been made.

You heard him right, he said 8 million sold, but again, I don't know if he meant altogether for the LBP IP. 

Well, usually they'll specify when talking sales figures, saying something like "The LBP series has sold XX amount worldwide thus far!"  

On the other hand, it doesn't much sense to just tell us figures about the first game.

Unless sales of LBP2 and LBPSP were so bad that they figured touting the sales of just the first game would paint the series in the best light.

"8 million for LBP1!" vs "11 million for LBP series!" or something, the latter of which would imply significantly lower sales per individual title.

8 million between lbp and lbp2.