By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does hype ruin a game?

Tagged games:

Does hype ruin a game?

Yes 11 64.71%

No 3 17.65%

Yes, but because I get all the info I could. 2 11.76%

I go on an info blackout, so no. 1 5.88%

Total:17

Does hype ruin a game?

I will use an example:

I had recently bought an Xbox 360 after many months of just having a Wii. I bought a game cheap at Tesco's called Mass Effect. I had no idea of any of the story, gameplay etc, I had just heard of it mentioned just the one time. So I bought it kinda on a whim, and after playing through it, I was hooked! I completed it at least 5 times on the spin. The story was amazing, the choice between Ash & Kaiden left me stunned, never saw it coming!

So when ME2 was announced I was anticipating it straight away, I watched all the trailers I could, read all the info I could find. But in doing so I found out who was in my squad, who made an appearance etc. So when I played the game, I was in a way dissapointed, even though it was a better game. I knew Archangel was Garrus as soon as a turian was mentioned, I knew Ash only appeared briefly, I knew the story to an extent. The hype and info released lessened the impact. 

Mass Effect 3. I downloaded all posible trailers, i read all articles I could that said they didn't contain spoilers, and yet again the impact and story was lessened.

As one of my favourite series I knew I was going to take in all the Mass Effect info I could, but in doing so I think I may have lessened the impact of the series. 

This applies to many other series like Dead Space, Final Fantasy etc.

Does any-one else find this to be true? To much info, too many trailers can ruin a game impact, enjoyment etc?

Around the Network

I just bought Skyrim with little interest and I regretted buying it during the steam sale becuase i didnt think i would even touch it due to my huge backlog. I also didnt like Fallout 3 so i was regretting my decision even more. A week goes by it remained untouched. A few days ago i decided lets play something boom double clicked Skyrim. I have little knowledge on this game and RPGs in general. I havent even done more than probably 10 main quests but im hooked. Played it all night to realize the sun was out. I kept telling myself one more thing one more thing. 

I think it does. I dont think I would immerse myself into this if i knew an idea what was gonna happen. It certainly ruins movies though.

Too many trailers maybe not but once you enter some wiki's, start viewing rumors, viewing leaks, and such will definitely have an impact.

HiddenConcept said:

Too many trailers maybe not but once you enter some wiki's, start viewing rumors, viewing leaks, and such will definitely have an impact.

I avoid wikis until I complete a game, but the trailers and constant articles I read, because I want to know more about the game. But then I shouldn't so I can enjoy it more.

Yes, hype is actually a very big enemy in certain cases. Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be one of the games to face this. It's being hailed as a savior, not only to the FF franchise but JRPGs in general. How the hell is it supposed to live up to that? No matter what SE does, it will never live up to what fans want it to be no matter how good it is.

There is a difference between hype and over the top hype though.

Around the Network
Wagram said:
Yes, hype is actually a very big enemy in certain cases. Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be one of the games to face this. It's being hailed as a savior, not only to the FF franchise but JRPGs in general. How the hell is it supposed to live up to that? No matter what SE does, it will never live up to what fans want it to be no matter how good it is.

There is a difference between hype and over the top hype though.

Thats the problem with having a game in development so long, it will never live up to expectations.

I don't know if your problem is hype... you just can't stop looking into a game for the good of it.

I have this problem with Pokemon games. I want to watch all the LP's, read up on it, watch all the trailer's but that just ruins it. So I try to stop from doing it, it does help.

Hype doesn't necessarily ruin a game, expecting too much of something does.

NintendoPie said:
I don't know if your problem is hype... you just can't stop looking into a game for the good of it.

I have this problem with Pokemon games. I want to watch all the LP's, read up on it, watch all the trailer's but that just ruins it. So I try to stop from doing it, it does help.

Well i've decided to avoid any Dead Space 3 info. Kind of as a test to see if I hould avoid getting too excited about games from now on!

LinkVPit said:
NintendoPie said:

Well i've decided to avoid any Dead Space 3 info. Kind of as a test to see if I hould avoid getting too excited about games from now on!

It does!

I held back on Pokemon Black and really liked it! I also bought HeartGold all of the sudden (without having any interest in it really) and I LOVE THAT GAME!!!

NintendoPie said:
LinkVPit said:
NintendoPie said:

It does!

I held back on Pokemon Black and really liked it! I also bought HeartGold all of the sudden (without having any interest in it really) and I LOVE THAT GAME!!

Can't beat some pokemon!