By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Ideal Shooter

The shooter genre has become stale and over-saturated with dozens of completely redundant titles being released each year. While there are still innovative shooters that incorporate unique gameplay mechanics and elements of other genres in innovative new ways, they have become a tiny fraction of the actual number of shooters being released each year. Even this wouldn't be so bad if shooters continued to become larger, more complex and refined over time. Instead of radical mutations, a natural evolution of the genre beyond graphical improvements would be a welcome change. So, to get to the point, what would you like to see in a shooter game that would change or improve upon what is currently available?

Personally, I would like the final result of the military shooter evolution. No more tiny baby steps (if they can even claim to be doing this anymore) over the course of years, just give me the finished product already. I envision the ideal military shooter to have the following:

• The progressive role playing elements (unlock additional weapons, parts and accessories as you play) and the comprehensive stat tracking systems that have become genre standards.

• A single, comprehensive multi-player experience in which players are offered dozens of missions with objectives ranging from base defense, sabotage, extermination, etc...

• Hundreds of different guns, ranging from impractical and outdated to state of the art, modular weapons systems.

• The ability to replace every individual component of each gun and fully customize your weapons. For example, to be able to take an AK-47 and add a:

• shock absorbing, adjustable, folding polymer stock

• thick polymer hand guard and ergonomic pistol grip

• short stroke gas piston system

• heavy, extended barrel with improved rifling and water jacket

• The usual spate of accessories ranging from a scope, muzzle brake, bayonet, etc...

• An economy that allows for trading dog tags (could make for a great in-game currency), weapons, parts, schematics, etc...

• The ability to establish a shop and offer gunsmith services (build highly customized firearms and sell them at a profit).

• The ability to establish / join private military corporations and join battles in support of various factions for profit.

• A dynamic game world in which different factions wage wars and gain / lose power over regions of the globe depending upon the outcome of the battles being fought by the players.

• If a faction gains an advantage in a war, perhaps other faction's players could be provided missions to sabotage the installations that provide intelligence and logistical support in order to hinder their progress.

• Ideally, wars would take years to play out and the global balance of power would sway very slowly.

• Some form of map randomization. Depending upon the capabilities of next-generation hardware, perhaps you could have thousands of rooms, buildings, open areas, etc... randomly joined together to form battle grounds which would then be populated with random weapons and objectives. If this would be too taxing for the PS4 and Xbox Delta/Trinity then they could implement a system in which each map is divided into a dozen zones and each zone has several potential layouts. Either scenario would effectively prevent experienced players from simply memorizing maps and getting into routines.

That pretty much covers what I would like to see from a shooter game right now. Feel free to discuss it and add your own ideas for your visions of the ideal shooter.

Edit: Let's try to keep it relevant and constructive, no stupid crap like "no more shooterz" or "more RPGS plz".

Around the Network

I know this isn't the most helpful kind of post, but I already pretty much had my ideal shooter - Timesplitters 2 & Future Perfect.

Face paced. Silly. Huge Variety of weapons. Even bigger variety of game modes. Offline bot multiplayer, excellent online multiplayer (in FP). Large amount of unlockable characters. The list goes on and on.

Honestly, I like my shooter games to stray from realism generally so this generation has been quite boring for me. Aside from a huge shift from the current trends, I can't really see myself getting into shooter games again (although Starhawk is entertaining me for the time being!)

Kresnik said:
I know this isn't the most helpful kind of post, but I already pretty much had my ideal shooter - Timesplitters 2 & Future Perfect.

Face paced. Silly. Huge Variety of weapons. Even bigger variety of game modes. Offline bot multiplayer, excellent online multiplayer (in FP). Large amount of unlockable characters. The list goes on and on.

Honestly, I like my shooter games to stray from realism generally so this generation has been quite boring for me. Aside from a huge shift from the current trends, I can't really see myself getting into shooter games again (although Starhawk is entertaining me for the time being!)

Timesplitters: Future Perfect was an absolutely fantatic game, one of my favorites. It's such a shame that Timepsplitters 4 was cancelled.

I never really played any true FPSs (besides at my friends' houses) until last year, when I got my PS3. During earlier years, I would hear about the Call of Duty games and their success, but I knew they were not as good on the Wii. My first FPS on the Wii was the Conduit. I'd say that game probably is what got me into the FPS genre. But once I'd gotten Black Ops on PS3, I don't think I could go back to FPSs on the Wii. Black Ops was my first CoD game, and I enjoyed it very much. I bought MW3 in January, enjoyed it much more than I did Black Ops, and a few months later I bought Elite, mostly for the dlc maps. I can understand why one would dislike mw3 if he played many previous CoD games, but for me, I'm just getting started. MW3 was a big leap from Black Ops for me, so I'm not sure if I want to get Black Ops 2. So far I think Infinity Ward does a better job. Unless Black Ops 2 has something amazing to offer, I will probably stick with mw3.

I also, got Batrlefield 3 when it released, and I enjoy it much more than Bad Company 2, which was my first Battlefield game. I love Battlefield 3 very much, but I like MW3 a little bit more because it is more fast-paced. I Lov them both, but MW3 is just a teeny bit higher on my list. To me, the multiplayer is just more addictive.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

I have also thought a lot about the ideal FPS experience, and it's actually pretty simple. Infection mode, of course:

- Great amount of players (about 50, or so)

- Big maps

- Not too many weapons. One per class is enough

- Unlockables should only affect your (and your weapons') appearance, and not give you further advantages on the field

- No friendly fire

- Very limited ammo supplies. Preferably you'd need to share ammo with each other and find an armory station from time to time (which in turn also has limited supplies). Even better would be if the armories and houses/bases spawned on different locations each time

- Zombies may be AI or humans (as they get infected). It doesn't really matter

- One zombie cure per armory. If you have been bitten (and not died) there is a short amount of time where you can be cured

How to win: Survive until dawn. Then helicopters will search for survivors, so don't hide!

Around the Network

Even though I already have Battlefield, I've wanted it on PC so I could play the 64 player battles.
That would be like awesome

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

@mysticwolf

I've played a lot of FPS games myself, including CoD 1, 2 and 4. I personally enjoyed CoD greatly despite game design issues that made it extremely difficult for a new player to get into the online. As far as Battlefield goes, it is fine on consoles but it is clearly a PC game first.

@IIIIITHE1IIIII

You have a really great idea there, I know I'd buy it. Hopefully a really good, survival / infection mode is actually implemented in a FPS game sometime.

I forgot to mention in my original post, accurate weapon stats. Seriously, how hard can it be to get basic aspects of a weapon such as the rate of fire correct?

Also, why so few replies? Are the forum goers here more interested in discussing movies and NASA nuking Jupiter than video games?

bump for violent, gun based justice

Half Life 2.

A mix of Killzone 2 and Battlefield 3.