By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - What happens if ObamaCare is overturned?

Before the oral arguments on the Affordable Care Act, many constitutional scholars had believed that the court would indeed uphold the constitutionality of the reform act. Now, according to some polls, those same people believe that the "individual mandate" will be struck down, if not the bill in its entirety. This article provides some insight into the main questions of how the Supreme Court could rule on the bill and the aftermath of the ruling. 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jun/22/supreme-court-obama-healthcare-reform

However, a new poll released shows that a majority of Americans are dissatisfied with the status quo of health care in this country and want Congress to start over on reforming the bill if Obamacare is overturned. 

If the individual mandate is struck down, how do you think this ruling affects Americans who would have otherwise benefited from this bill? Moreover, how do you think this will reflect on the Obama administration and Congress?

Around the Network

The world will be a better place, or just America.

Serious answer: If it isn't passed then it's clear that America's healthcare will stay as-is for quite a long time. The main question is whether or not the federal government has the right to pass a bill like this? Most Americans have spoken and the answer is no.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:
The world will be a better place, or just America.

Serious answer: If it isn't passed then it's clear that America's healthcare will stay as-is for quite a long time. The main question is whether or not the federal government has the right to pass a bill like this? Most Americans have spoken and the answer is no.

Actually, polls have shown that a vast majority of Americans like the individual things in the health care bill. The only thing that they don't like is the mandate, which was originally a republican idea.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

Sympathy vote will help obama's reelection.

My opinion on ObamaCare is that it's highly imperfect (single payer, or some sort of extensive subsidy program like they have in Japan, where costs for various simple treatments are *gasp* very low), but that if it's struck down in its entirety, then this country is not going to try health care reform for at least another 40 years, which is something we can't afford. Keeping the Affordable Care Act does 2 things
1) Makes some super-necessary reforms, namely that insurance can't deny you based on pre-existing conditions, that children can stay on their parents' plans until they're 26 (which in this economy is necessary. It's very likely that i won't be able to afford health insurance on my own at least for another two years)
2) Makes it clear that the government can make a difference on health care legislation, which opens the door towards further reforms

Now, if it is struck down, it will create an atmosphere where reform will be impossible, both because of the legal precedent against the individual mandate (or worse. Who knows what crap Roberts and his neanderthal goons are cooking up?), and because of the example of the immense amounts of political capital that was needed to get even this half-assed measure passed. No-one in the future is going to want to undertake this effort if this one amounts to naught.

It'll make sure American quality-of-life stays behind the rest of the developed world for at least the next half-century.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
My opinion on ObamaCare is that it's highly imperfect (single payer, or some sort of extensive subsidy program like they have in Japan, where costs for various simple treatments are *gasp* very low), but that if it's struck down in its entirety, then this country is not going to try health care reform for at least another 40 years, which is something we can't afford. Keeping the Affordable Care Act does 2 things
1) Makes some super-necessary reforms, namely that insurance can't deny you based on pre-existing conditions, that children can stay on their parents' plans until they're 26 (which in this economy is necessary. It's very likely that i won't be able to afford health insurance on my own at least for another two years)
2) Makes it clear that the government can make a difference on health care legislation, which opens the door towards further reforms

Now, if it is struck down, it will create an atmosphere where reform will be impossible, both because of the legal precedent against the individual mandate (or worse. Who knows what crap Roberts and his neanderthal goons are cooking up?), and because of the example of the immense amounts of political capital that was needed to get even this half-assed measure passed. No-one in the future is going to want to undertake this effort if this one amounts to naught.

It'll make sure American quality-of-life stays behind the rest of the developed world for at least the next half-century.

Well it all depends on Kennedy's vote, the others seems predictable.

The sky well start on fire, The moon will turn blood red and My damn hemroid will flair back up. SOB!!!  Oh yea did I mention Zombies, yes, lots of zombies.

They will push for single payer. This should have happened in the first place.

However the 5 conservative's on the bench will find a reason, just like they did with citizens united. Funny they go to Koch brother fundraisers. I think this is a comflict of interest but hey who am I.

zimbawawa said:
Sympathy vote will help obama's reelection.

You know I never thought of it that way. This might be the case.  Also this will put fire back in to get single payer, which is what most people wanted in the first place.  The progressive party in vermont was working on opting out of the Affordable care act and putting in single payer anyway, Which just like canada people will see the benefits and it would spread. I think this would speed up the process. I don't understand why people don't want the mandate because if you don't have insurance and you get sick, we are paying for it anyway. So in reality people should pay for there insurance. However Obama got pushed over by Joe Lieberman and also the drug companies by allowing to keep medicare part D and other junk in the bill. So I think it's a step in the right direction but some major flaws, however this can be combed out in years to come.

I like this bill. I would hate to be without healthcare. I feel that ALL Children in the States should have healthcare, No one should have to fear for their child's life. That's why I find it disgusting that there are people who for the sake of making more money are telling people that this is bad. "You're losing your rights if this passes!!" Really? How about the right to life?

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.