By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Glenn Beck calls for increase in charitable giving along with shrinking government. Do you agree?

binary solo said:
spurgeonryan said:
Charities are the best route to go I think. Government is just too corrupt and too many many mistakes happen with the government. I guess the only problem with a charity is that when they are out of funds, they are just out of funds. If the government needs to help the poor, they will just go over budget and continue their state run program.

And that NEVER happens with charities...riiiiight.

It happens significantly less often, resulting in far higher levels of efficiency for private charities.

Two days ago, I helped feed 42 people dinner. The total cost of the meal for said people was about $40 at retail, but most food was donated, so the actual cost was about $20 plus a few hours of volunteer help.

A comparable service from government would of been far more than ten times that amount. That is why charities are efficient - many goods and services are donated, which drive the costs down, making it vastly more efficient.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
killerzX said:
in less than 24 hours after the episode of GBTV (which is a paid internet TV service, not something you get on regular TV) his audience raised money for more than 500,000 meals for the needy. that was in less than 1 day. his audience is some of the most charitable in the world.
conservatives usually are much more charitable than other groups, like left leaning groups

This is based on what, nothing? Newfoundland is the most liberal province of Canada, it also happens to be the most charitable.

@OP

I would normally support smaller government but in America that simply means that power and control is redirected to banks and corporations which is slightly worse.

Nothing new here. Hardcore conservatives have always called for smaller Government and always were big on charity. They dislike social programs, but are gung ho about charity. I won't read too much into their charity donations, but since a vast majority of donations are written off come tax time ... well, I'm sure it entices a fair number of people to give.

bouzane said:
killerzX said:
in less than 24 hours after the episode of GBTV (which is a paid internet TV service, not something you get on regular TV) his audience raised money for more than 500,000 meals for the needy. that was in less than 1 day. his audience is some of the most charitable in the world.
conservatives usually are much more charitable than other groups, like left leaning groups

This is based on what, nothing? Newfoundland is the most liberal province of Canada, it also happens to be the most charitable.

Large amounts of sociological and marketing research.  In general it seems pretty widely excepted... which is saying something, since good luck finding a conservative anywhere near sociology.

How religious is Newfoundland compaired to the rest of Canada?
That's also a very big indicator.  (most research says bigger.)

bouzane said:
killerzX said:

@OP

I would normally support smaller government but in America that simply means that power and control is redirected to banks and corporations which is slightly worse.

uh... i gave a link. read the thread