By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 Less Powerful Than The Nintendo WiiU? Dream On, Says Shuhei Yoshida

happydolphin said:
mantlepiecek said:

You can laugh about him. He is the most awesome person who is working for the PR (I think he is the PR, he has talked a lot about PS3) of any gaming company.

You guys have no idea about him, that's why you think it's arrogance, or some kind of superiority complex. The guy is one of a kind.

There is no doubt in my mind he is a smart man, despite my rage comment earlier.

The following in and of itself is a huge feat:

"Additionally, he was one of the initial members of the PlayStation project in February 1993, where as the lead account executive he headed Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.'s third party licensing program."

But in this specific case, even if he's one of a kind, I find his answer very arrogant, and almost insulting to a Nintendo fan. As if Nintendo was not up to Sony's standards. What the VG world has become is beyond me. If it weren't for Nintendo, Playstation would not even exist.

Beware the genetic fallacy. 

Around the Network

haxxiy said:

happydolphin said:

But in this specific case, even if he's one of a kind, I find his answer very arrogant, and almost insulting to a Nintendo fan. As if Nintendo was not up to Sony's standards. What the VG world has become is beyond me. If it weren't for Nintendo, Playstation would not even exist.

Beware the genetic fallacy. 

True. But you are aware that had it existed regardless of Nintendo, it would have been very, very different. What I meant to say was, had Nintendo never existed, Playstation would never have been Playstation as it has been. And that's undeniable. What Nintendo did for the market, Sega and Sony followed. Now that Sony had 2 gens of superiority, the claim for supremacy is shocking.

happydolphin said:
Player1x3 said:

This really hit your nerve, didn't it? Did you actually expect WiiU to be even remotely anywhere near as powerful as PS4?

It did hit my nerve, and I already explained to mantle why.

If I understand your question to mean "Did you actually expect a Nintendo console to be even remotely anywhere near as powerful as a Sony console?", you know the answer to that.

But if I take your question at face value, the asnwer is yes. The PS4 will not be much more powerful than the WiiU, just like the Cube was not much more powerful than the PS2. The PS3/360 is more like Cube to Xbox if anything. PS2 was below.

Lastly, anyone who thinks Sony will release a juggernaught is not up with the times. They cannot afford to loss-lead next gen, and the graphical edge versus production cost is increasing exponentially as we move forward. So no, I don't believe the PS4 will be much more powerful than the WiiU, and I also believe the WiiU will be mildly less powerful than the PS4.

To answer a troll, and answer it as such, Yoshida poorly answered. So much for awesomeness.

A $400 console that breaks even or makes a small profit will easily be more far more powerful than the Wii U, probably $350 console would as well. I'll bet you happyd! I will bet you that both Orbis and Durango will be more powerful than the Wii U - that means a significantly better CPU, GPU and more RAM.

happydolphin said:
There is no doubt in my mind he is a smart man, despite my rage comment earlier.

The following in and of itself is a huge feat:

"Additionally, he was one of the initial members of the PlayStation project in February 1993, where as the lead account executive he headed Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.'s third party licensing program."

It's the same kind of arrogance in the "smartglass flatters us" comment from some Ninty guy. It's just what they're supposed to say, they're expected to say things like that about the competition, it's not a big deal. There is a line in the sand for these kind of comments but Yoshida is far from crossing it.

Andrespetmonkey said:

A $400 console that breaks even or makes a small profit will easily be more far more powerful than the Wii U, probably $350 console would as well. I'll bet you happyd! I will bet you that both Orbis and Durango will be more powerful than the Wii U - that means a significantly better CPU, GPU and more RAM.

How much more powerful? I'm willing to sig bet with you, but I'm not sure how we'll measure it. I'm willing to bet the WiiU will be to PS4 what PS2 was to the Xbox. Is that a fair comparison? What's your prediction? Also, how would we measure who's right and who isn't?

Around the Network
Turkish said:

"Let him dream" LOL

Bring back Ken Kutaragi! I would love to hear what he had to say!

OF COURSE IT IS.  Something that exists is more powerful than something that doesn't.  Unless the PS4 is out now or something.  How can something a company hasn't even confirmed existing yet be more powerful than something that isn't out yet?

If people are going to go THIS direction, I will tell you that the Dreamcast 2 blows away the PS4, and also runs Unreal Engine 9!  Yes, the Unreal Engine 9 that will also be what is working on the PS9:

BasilZero said:
richardhutnik said:
Turkish said:

"Let him dream" LOL

Bring back Ken Kutaragi! I would love to hear what he had to say!

OF COURSE IT IS.  Something that exists is more powerful than something that doesn't.  Unless the PS4 is out now or something.  How can something a company hasn't even confirmed existing yet be more powerful than something that isn't out yet?

If people are going to go THIS direction, I will tell you that the Dreamcast 2 blows away the PS4, and also runs Unreal Engine 9!  Yes, the Unreal Engine 9 that will also be what is working on the PS9:

wtf LOL

I never saw this before, that is hilarious XD

That was a spot Sony ran in order to introduce the PS2.  Yes, it was done by Sony.  Helped to try spread FUD about their competitors.  See, you stick with Sony, one day there WILL be a PS9, and it will do that.

"Powerful" console almost took them to the broke house, the day Sony understands that its not the capacity of the console that will make them successful but the quality of their exclusives like the PS and PS2, if gamers REALLY, REALLY cared of powerful processors and graphics and all, we would all be playing PC games.

BasilZero said:

I see ;p

Well no surprise I didnt see this I guess, didnt buy a Playstation system until 2003, always has been a Nintendo Fan (and still am ;p).

2078 was the year that was mentioned right? Damn, they really were expecting 10+ years for console lifes lol.

If they did, they really don't know how to count because they released both the PS2 and the PS3 6 years after their predecessors. At that rate, PS9 would likely have released in 2042.

happydolphin said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

How much more powerful? I'm willing to sig bet with you, but I'm not sure how we'll measure it. I'm willing to bet the WiiU will be to PS4 what PS2 was to the Xbox. Is that a fair comparison? What's your prediction? Also, how would we measure who's right and who isn't?

I'm thinking of something more close to Xbox to Xbox 360, Wii U being the former, the PS4 being the latter. There are 2 ways we can measure it, we can do hardware comparisons, which would be simply looking at the numbers or we could do software comparisons, with games on both platforms and exclusive games that really take advantage of each platform. 

I have an idea, we can both post our predicted CPU,GPU and RAM for PS4, and when we get the confirmed specs we can see who's prediction is more accurate. If you wanna do this message me as we're taking this thread off da railz