By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Logical Flaw of Prayers

How could anything make sense which is based on something you think it doesn't make sense?

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

Around the Network
Andrespetmonkey said:
I agree with Kantor, as a personal thing it's totally great and I'm totally fine with it.

But when people pray for others? Well that's different. It makes people think they're helping without actually doing anything at all in a lot of cases.

That's not always true. Some people are so thankful when they hear that other people prayed for them. In my experience, these tend to be very religious people, but it touches them that so many people thought of them in their time of need, and it makes them feel better. Usually this is for someone who's sick and in the hospital, or something that's harder for people to actually help out with. (Yes, people can donate money to a sick person rather than pray. But my point is just that some people do appreciate prayers, and it does help them; at least mentally.)

has god ever let anyone down here? then why bother serving a god that constantly fails his people.

insomniac17 said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
I agree with Kantor, as a personal thing it's totally great and I'm totally fine with it.

But when people pray for others? Well that's different. It makes people think they're helping without actually doing anything at all in a lot of cases.

That's not always true. Some people are so thankful when they hear that other people prayed for them. In my experience, these tend to be very religious people, but it touches them that so many people thought of them in their time of need, and it makes them feel better. Usually this is for someone who's sick and in the hospital, or something that's harder for people to actually help out with.

In that case, I'm cool with that. What I mean is instead of donating to a charity, raising awareness or taking action in anyway, people will pray, which is effectively sitting at home or at a place of worship and thinking to themselves. Not in all cases of course, many times, people will both pray and take action which again I'm fine with, though I would hope it isn't because they think it's what God would want, but rather what they want to do.

(Yes, people can donate money to a sick person rather than pray. But my point is just that some people do appreciate prayers, and it does help them; at least mentally.)

kingwandymion said:
has god ever let anyone down here? then why bother serving a god that constantly fails his people.

Well, usually the poor countries are more religious than wealthy countries. It gives people hope, which in turn makes it easier for the governments to suppress their people. Faith/hope < Actions

Still, I fail to see how that is relevant to this topic.

Around the Network

let's all go to a field and drink cyanide

i guess religion is the greatest evil known to man.

yes it is begging

we pray to god and god doesn't do schmickle

kowenicki said:
Isn't most praying just selfish begging?

Not from my experience, at least. (which includes the former me, my family and relatives)

To this day, I only hear my family pray for people at hospital and/or similar situations. And also my dad (who drive the car) always pray for us to have no car accidents on long trips.