By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - How Libertarian is Gary Johnson?

Saw this interview posted on another forum, it gets really painful at times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aTch7InkZjo#!

Around the Network

He's a likeable guy, was a very good governor, and is far, far preferable to Mitrack Obamney, but he has always struck me as more of a from-the-gut libertarian than an intellectual one.

I felt a little bit sorry for Gary Johnson after listening to this, but those are questions any true libertarian should be able to answer. He would still be a much better choice than Obama or Mittens, but there is only one Ron Paul. He need to do a lot of reading and research if he wants the Paul supporters to get behind him, but there is still hope that Ron Paul will get the nomination.

Paul > Johnson > Obama > Romney

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

He's still the best candidate available on the presidential ballot. By far.

Johnson>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Romney>Obama>>>Hitler/Stalin

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

As a resident of New Mexico I'm not a fan of Mr Johnson.

badgenome said:
He's a likeable guy, was a very good governor, and is far, far preferable to Mitrack Obamney, but he has always struck me as more of a from-the-gut libertarian than an intellectual one.

I don't know how I feel about that. On the one hand, if we want to win people over to the Libertarian pov, we need more "from-the-gut" guys, as this is how most people would approach it, and maybe somebody who spends half the time talking about the time preference indictaed by interest rates, or something like that, would just turn voters off.

On the other hand, we need people who know this stuff inside-and-out to be able to make a mockery of the other candidates, and the pundits/talking heads on TV. So that people can see that they're not always right.

SamuelRSmith said:

I don't know how I feel about that. On the one hand, if we want to win people over to the Libertarian pov, we need more "from-the-gut" guys, as this is how most people would approach it, and maybe somebody who spends half the time talking about the time preference indictaed by interest rates, or something like that, would just turn voters off.

On the other hand, we need people who know this stuff inside-and-out to be able to make a mockery of the other candidates, and the pundits/talking heads on TV. So that people can see that they're not always right.

I think the latter are what is needed. John Stossel started out as a crusading journalist looking for crooked businesses and the like. His initial assumption - like most people's - was that the government always needed "to do something about it". Then he realized that the market self-regulates surprisingly well, and government mostly just fucks up whatever it touches. His ability to articulate why libertarianism works even though it seems so counterintuitive to most people makes him a far better ambassador than a guy like Gary Johnson, who is just a likeable guy and capable former governor.