By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - My problem with modern shooters.

Do you agree?

I disagree completely 18 41.86%

I agree with point 1 3 6.98%

I agree with point 2 6 13.95%

I agree with point 3 4 9.30%

I agree with points 1 & 2 0 0%

I agree with points 1 & 3 0 0%

I agree with points 2 & 3 2 4.65%

I agree with all of your points 10 23.26%

Total:43

I agree with all your points.

The camera is usually a chore and it's only really there to make the cover system work. I would much rather play in first person view and make cover with third person view optional.
Sticky cover is the worst, especially when different actions are assigned to the same button. I want to roll past that wall, not stick to it, dammit. Many of my deaths in Uncharted 3 were because of sticky cover.
Down the sights aiming is ok for long distance shots, but running around with dual pistols or a shotgun should be possible.

And why bother with limiting you to 2 guns for the sake of realism if everything else is anything but realistic.
There is also too much emphasis on set pieces and constant action nowadays with a completely nonsensical level layout as a result. Levels that let you explore a realistic structure always stick around much more favorably in my mind then an endless sequence of oddly connected set pieces.

My favorite shooters in the past year are Resistance 3 (carry lots of guns, first person view) and Deus Ex: HR. (realistic/logical level design, don't have to shoot all the time)

Around the Network

Dead Space 1 and 2 are both TPS and don't have cover systems. They are good games. You should try them, but remember there's no crouching either. The only way to escape your enemies is to kill them, or sometimes outrun them. The latter is way difficult though.

Jay520 said:
pezus said:
Kresnik said:

My main problem with modern shooters is:

- They're not fast enough.  Plodding around on CoD or Battlefield isn't a lot of fun for me, Timesplitters showed that console shooters could be fast.  Quake III was hella-fast, a good benchmark for PC.

-  They're too serious.  Again, Timesplitters.  My god, that game got the humour so spot on.  Team Fortress 2 nails it as well, but they seem to be just two in a sea of 'this is super serious' shooters'.

- The weapons aren't a lot of fun.  I think I have a 'type' of shooter that I like and it's really died out this generation.  Something like Quake 3 had the rail gun which was just silly amount of fun to play around with.  Rocket jumping with the rocket launcher.  Timesplitters had loads of cool stuff, my favourite was using dual flare guns.  Only game I've seen this generation even take a stab at enjoyable weapons is Resistance.

- Choice of colour palette.  This might be a silly one, but I find that a lot of modern shooters stick to a really boring colour scheme and it just annoys me a bit.  Resistance's over use of grey.   Modern Warfare 2 used a lot of yellow/brown.  Halo gets it right.  Bright coloured Spartans, beautiful environments.

Ratchet and Clank says helloooooooOOOOOOO.

yeah that's what I was thinking. But I think he's talking about online games.

Timesplitters was never an online experience for me.  Nor Resistance particularly.  Fair enough on TF2 and Quake 3 though.

SvennoJ said:
I agree with all your points.

The camera is usually a chore and it's only really there to make the cover system work. I would much rather play in first person view and make cover with third person view optional.
Sticky cover is the worst, especially when different actions are assigned to the same button. I want to roll past that wall, not stick to it, dammit. Many of my deaths in Uncharted 3 were because of sticky cover.
Down the sights aiming is ok for long distance shots, but running around with dual pistols or a shotgun should be possible.

And why bother with limiting you to 2 guns for the sake of realism if everything else is anything but realistic.
There is also too much emphasis on set pieces and constant action nowadays with a completely nonsensical level layout as a result. Levels that let you explore a realistic structure always stick around much more favorably in my mind then an endless sequence of oddly connected set pieces.

My favorite shooters in the past year are Resistance 3 (carry lots of guns, first person view) and Deus Ex: HR. (realistic/logical level design, don't have to shoot all the time)

Hell yes! I've dies so many times in Uncharted cause of Nathan rolling past cover (right into a rocket) when I wanted to stick to cover.

And I agree with the 2 gun things. Carrying a lot of guns is just...fun. Games like Ratchet & Clank & Grand Theft Auto wouldn't be nearly as fun without this option.

Goodness, no. Remove the cover system and you get rid of the tactical aspect of shooter aka the only thing that can get me interested in shooters. I hate mindless run and gun. Twitch shooters can pull it off because of their focus on skill, but it's not as fun as thinking.

Food for thought: Shove an apple in your brain

Around the Network
mantlepiecek said:
Dead Space 1 and 2 are both TPS and don't have cover systems. They are good games. You should try them, but remember there's no crouching either. The only way to escape your enemies is to kill them, or sometimes outrun them. The latter is way difficult though.

Oh yeah, I loved Dead Space. It must have slipped my mind.

I disagree completly. I love all of those things and play shooters like %90 of the time.

1) yes over the head is better for 3rd person games. Simply a better view point.
2) I'd say both would be better. A crouch option when needed and a more realistic cover option when its there... including the ability to lay flat behind stuff... because you know some things are not always crouch height.
3) NINTENDO lock-on is best!!! Yes, having to force aim is a PITA, but its necessary for quality multi-player gaming. It adds a level of difficulty that is simply better. Now, pre-Wii Nintendo always used assisted aiming in games and when playing stupid AI, who cares. Aiming isn't what kills you anyways. But with Wii-mote or mouse controls, aiming isn't an pain and it really just makes sense. I'll take forced aiming with better controls any day.

DepthAlly said:

Goodness, no. Remove the cover system and you get rid of the tactical aspect of shooter aka the only thing that can get me interested in shooters. I hate mindless run and gun. Twitch shooters can pull it off because of their focus on skill, but it's not as fun as thinking.

You can still use cover without the use of a button that makes you stick to cover.

Jay520 said:
DepthAlly said:

You can still use cover without the use of a button that makes you stick to cover.

Crouching is not very useful in a lot of games when you want to shoot out of cover.

Food for thought: Shove an apple in your brain