By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Real Numbers for:MICROSOFT/SONY

SpaceJase said:

The point is obvious. Multiple consoles sold to the same person does not increase your userbase.

Adjusting figures to take into account the failure rate of the various consoles seems perfectly valid, but I'll agree that it doesn't change the fact that Sony won the last gen hands-down.

Makes me wonder what the exact userbase of the 360 is? Maybe 500K less?

*edit* Why is this in the Off Topic section? Surely this belongs in the Sales Discussion board?

That's why I think its more relevant to know "the number of people USING a console". We have a 360 here at work - mainly for testing purposes (although it does get used occasionally to play games) - should this be counted?

What happens to a console when its repaired? (assuming a "new" machine was handed over for an exchange)? Is it resold? What about units traded in / 2nd-hand stock? (if a repaired consoleis then sold out again, is it counted as a new unit?)

What about consoles that have "other" primary functions - such as playing movies (PSP)? What % of these are *never* used to play games (i.e. the user bought it solely for non-gaming purposes)?

(sorry - I don't have any answers, just a bunch of questions - just trying to make the point that its not *just* returns that distort the figures)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

Even if every PS2 owner would have bouht a new console (it's pretty close to PS2 owners i know) PS2 would still have had 50% market share. Starcraftmaniac: It's the pan-EU law about how stuff must work (at the monent i can't remember what it's in english). If you buy a product, it has to last a certain time (equal to equal products), if not, you can have it replaced, dispite the warranty. But when replaced, the product is count as the original product (you have 2 year warranty and your product breaks at 1.5 years, you get a brand new product instead, but in law, it's 1.5 yrs old). I have one good example how the law works. In Finland someone bought 10 year old car, which was driven 50000 km. It broke and the owner went to court about it (seller/importer refused to fix it). Court decided, that it still had its warranty, because it should have lasted longer, since other cars do.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Truthsayer said:
The 360.... I would like some accurate numbers on that. I got my first 360 for Christmas 2006, and I am now on my second 360.

Don't make conclusions on your own experiences only..

I got my first 360 at EU launch November 2005, and it is still my only one.

I plan to get a new one late this year, hopefully after a pricecut, and a cooler more silent version.

Because my lauch 360 is very loud, both DVD drive and the cooling system, when I'm sitting close and the sound/music is moderate. It has been a bit unstable at times, but I have played a lot resently, without a single error.

no one knows, just kiddy speculation. 

my PS2 going onto its 8th year, launch version.

Hus, your answers don't help.

Granted I have a PS2 from Sept 01 which in the last 6 months has only just decided to stop reading Blue discs(despite trying to adjust the laser). It still plays games fine. And I prefer Sony (yes I admit it). However I'm willing to accept that it will have a reasonable failure rate from launch, also considering down to it's age more than anything else...

Good to see this site is still going 

Around the Network

As a rough guestimate I would say you would probably see a failure rate of around 5% to 10% per year that the system was owned for; this would put the number of Launch PS2 systems that still operate in the 50% to 70% range.

HappySqurriel said:
As a rough guestimate I would say you would probably see a failure rate of around 5% to 10% per year that the system was owned for; this would put the number of Launch PS2 systems that still operate in the 50% to 70% range.

I'd say my PS2 is 70% operational.

Good to see this site is still going