By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - People think government is too big, only when they don't need it.

There are degrees of irony in this world.  One that is in America, and also in certain political thoughts, is that government is "too big".  You will end up anarchist leaning people, who also use the Internet, which gets its origins in Department of Defense spending by the United States, to build a network that could survive a nuclear war.   Individuals will end up yelling against coersion, but then act as parasites on a system people built.  I would say it is a degree of irony when individuals who use the Internet speak of the social contract being a lie.  There is a degree of dependence we as humans have, on what others have done prior and what a mixture of business, civic (and religious organizations), and government bring about.  We don't live alone.  

Anyhow, onto a more specific example, Curt Schilling getting guaranteed loans by the government to launch a computer game company, that I guess was supposed to "create jobs".

Curt has apparently railed against "big government" in the past.  Then, his company goes under.  Well, that is how the market works, right?  The thing is that Curt lined up for taxpayer backed government loans to launch his venture.  This blog goes into it:

http://www.policymic.com/articles/8669/curt-schilling-s-colossal-big-government-free-markets-hypocrisy

Then, look how congressmen get elected.  They bring back pork to their district.  They get elected on this.  It appears to me, the only smaller government people want, is government when they don't need on it, and it gets in their way.  Oh, but the pandering goes on.  Get rid of earmarks they say.  But really do any cutting?  Sorry, that is right out.  They have to get reelected.

Around the Network

Hypocrisy is rampant in all things, politics even more so than most.

That doesn't validate that big government is needed.

Having companies like 38 Studios go into bankruptcy, devouring millions of dollars of taxpayer money should prove that one should be weary of government in bed with businesses, and vice versa.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

BradleyJ said:

People usually get the government they ask for in a society where the government is based upon democratic principles and attempts to respond to the will of the people.  So, if politics is particularly hypocritical, it is because the citizens of a nation make it so.

People are selfish and willing to put there personal good against the good of all, even when they know better.

Not that surprising.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:

Having companies like 38 Studios go into bankruptcy, devouring millions of dollars of taxpayer money should prove that one should be weary of government in bed with businesses, and vice versa.

It just shows that what people want, and how the act, makes them get a large government, because it has parts other people want that individuals are opposed to.  And while you can argue it should prove that government in bed with business is something to be weary of (or visa-versa), the fact that people do it means they are game to do it.

richardhutnik said:
mrstickball said:

It just shows that what people want, and how the act, makes them get a large government, because it has parts other people want that individuals are opposed to.  And while you can argue it should prove that government in bed with business is something to be weary of (or visa-versa), the fact that people do it means they are game to do it.

It's more a matter of people, or in this case, this specific culture.  Lacking an eye for the big picture.

If people were against something that was negative for them as much as they were for something that was a positive... government would be much smaller.

As it is, people care a lot less about negative useless government spending that helps a few... while they care more about the few things that are a big gain for them but a negative for everybody else.

richardhutnik said:
mrstickball said:

Of course they are. That is human nature.

Everyone wants as much as they can get - especially if its without a direct, personal, cost to themselves.

Its also why we can't reduce the size of government easily. *Everyone* wants to cut government spending. Democrats want to cut defense spending, and corporate subsidies and tax breaks. Republicans want to cut entitlement spending. Neither wants what the other does, because such cuts would aggravate the voters they pander to.

Its partially why I'm a libertarian. I began seeing how Republicans would always bash the Democrats about debt spending and not cutting the size of government, when in reality, 90% of Republicans will gladly vote to increase the size of government. Just their government.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

richardhutnik said:
BradleyJ said:

People usually get the government they ask for in a society where the government is based upon democratic principles and attempts to respond to the will of the people.  So, if politics is particularly hypocritical, it is because the citizens of a nation make it so.

OMG, I couldn't have said it any better.

Let me just add that complaints over the status quo is usually done by those that don't completely comprehend everything about a certain situation, but tell an American that he/she is ignorant about something and it is considered as an insult. Ignorance should not be considered an insult in a sociaty that trains us to specialize into some type of carrier and work (Gaps of information are bound to happen).

And another thing, a Government (big or small) CANNOT satisfy everyone. If one is really pissed about some injustice, get off the iphone/ipad. couch, chair, etc., and protest.

DraconianAC said:
richardhutnik said:
BradleyJ said:

OMG, I couldn't have said it any better.

Let me just add that complaints over the status quo is usually done by those that don't completely comprehend everything about a certain situation, but tell an American that he/she is ignorant about something and it is considered as an insult. Ignorance should not be considered an insult in a sociaty that trains us to specialize into some type of carrier and work (Gaps of information are bound to happen).

And another thing, a Government (big or small) CANNOT satisfy everyone. If one is really pissed about some injustice, get off the iphone/ipad. couch, chair, etc., and protest.

And when they do, individuals driving by the protests will yell out to them, coming home from, or going to, jobs they hate "Get a job loser!"  Same individuals yelling that also complain that Obama hasn't done enough to create jobs in the economy.  No one said the reasoning of people is consistent.