By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Are albums/CD's dead?

back in the day,I remember all these CD stores everywere. You could'nt turn around are drive,without seeing some kind of standalone music store. Now days,there's hardly any of these stores left. Your best buy and walmarts still sell CD's but that's about it. Everything is all about the itunes and i pod's and the downloading of the songs. hell,I even downloaded six songs on itunes,in the three months i've had my iphone. I miss the old glory days of the album/CD. So,is the music CD/album dead?

Around the Network

I still prefer CD's over digital download or iPod/mp3 stream but I am a bit old fashioned when it comes to music. For me, a CD or album has a more authentic feel and makes you appreciate what the artist has written more. Sadly though, they are fading away. I just hope that CD's die off completely.

Check out my video game music blog:

http://games-and-guitars.synergize.co/

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

He who hesitates is lost

I think Single's for CD's are dead yes, sales are vastly superior for digital than Cd's. But for albums, Cd sales were much higher than digital sales (at least a few years ago)  probably due to a reduction in price and DRM on digital albums.) much higher.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16382648  86.2million Album CD's vs 26.6million Digital Albums. I assume the trend is similar in the US but the equivalent story didn't specify Album sales so i didn't use it. 

PSP Lifetime more than PSV+3DS Lifetime.

spurgeonryan said:
My external hardrive just dumped all information of mine. My computers crash. So I buy cds. Screw losing all my music and files! Print everything off now as well!

Recently bought Hugh Lauries CD.

Well that's your fault for not having any redundancy... If it's possible to copy them don't store all your things in one place. You could have written all your music to a few DVDs (I could easily fit all mine onto 1 DVD, but I skipped the digital storage stage and just stream my music)

remember gamestop and all the other dedicated gaming stores? in 10 years you won't.

Around the Network

I'll never stop buying CDs, because I want to own something physical when I buy music. But as soon as I get them I just import them in iTunes and listen to them on an iPod.

I still buy CD's. Mainly to listen to in my car, because I don't have an iPod/cellphone hookup.

CD's are obviously declining but I think it'll be a while before they die out. I never buy shit on iTunes, it's either "file sharing" or CDs for me.

My dad asked for some music yesterday.. I had to look for an hour to find a recordable CD in my apartment .. I just don't use them anymore.. But because we have old people CD albums will still be there for another 20 year.. Last CD album that I bought was Maroon 5 songs about Jane in 2002 for my then girlfriend.. Nowadays I just buy everything from itunes

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Totally.

I mostly listened to music on the radio until I got into high school. I bought a few cds during that time but that also the time itunes was on the rise. Now I rarely buy cds. It is all about the cloud now. Googles cloud, amazons cloud, and icloud.