By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I just replayed MGS3 (HD) and...

Tagged games:

I prefer remakes on handhelds (as they hold up better on the smaller screen and portability is a huge plus) so I wasn't sure which version to get. When I played the demo of the 3DS version it felt like a let down from Metal Gear Solid 4 but I recently purchased Peace Walker for the PSP and last week I replayed the 3DS demo - and had a blast playing it. It's definitely a step up, graphics wise, from Peace Walker. And they refined the game as well (crouch walking, map on the bottom screen, better controls than on PSP...)

Long story short: I'll buy the 3DS version pretty soon. Just have to finish Peace Walker first. Anyone played the 3DS version and enjoyed it? I'd go for the HD Collection but I really want this game on a portable device.

Around the Network

MGS 3 is truly fantastic. I personally found Peace Walker the best.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Metal Gear Solid is the best of them. Iconic characters both on the side of the heroes and the side of the villains, a great story with plenty of plot twists without ever crossing the line into "what the fuck" territory. Amazing boss fights with tons of variety. One of the best game ever actually.

Signature goes here!

i though it was really good havent played 4 or PW though, i like that it takes place in mostly a jungle environment and the story was good i think i even teared up during the ending. i played it on ps2 when it came out during that time the show lost just started so that whole jungle environment was a strong point for me b/c i liked the show aswell. i ended up replaying it on ps2 around early 2008 to earn the stealth camo which was bad ass to use made you fell like the predator

Play Me

Totally agree with you.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the Vita version to go along with my two PS2 versions, my HD Collection, and 3DS version. This game just never gets old.

Around the Network

MGS 3 is the best in the series no doubt. Unfortunately I never had the chance to play Peace Walker. The first one was ok but I played after I finished 3 and 2 yes I played them backwards, Snake eater was the first one I played then Sons of Liberty and then the first. But Guns of the patriots was awesome as well had the best end of all MGS games, and imo the second best in the series.

MGS3 remains my favorite of all MG games for all the reasons listed.

It has the distinction of being my most repeated purchase (in no small part because they KEEP republishing new versions) out of all games. Snake Eater, Subsistence, MGS Essential collection, MGS HD collection, MGS3D and I'll pick up the MGS Vita collection when available.

The funny thing is I couldn't play though Snake Eater simply because of the locked camera angle which effectively broke the game for me. Once Subsistance fixed that one aspect, it instantly became an open world and one of my all time favorites.

UncleScrooge said:
I prefer remakes on handhelds (as they hold up better on the smaller screen and portability is a huge plus) so I wasn't sure which version to get. When I played the demo of the 3DS version it felt like a let down from Metal Gear Solid 4 but I recently purchased Peace Walker for the PSP and last week I replayed the 3DS demo - and had a blast playing it. It's definitely a step up, graphics wise, from Peace Walker. And they refined the game as well (crouch walking, map on the bottom screen, better controls than on PSP...)

Long story short: I'll buy the 3DS version pretty soon. Just have to finish Peace Walker first. Anyone played the 3DS version and enjoyed it? I'd go for the HD Collection but I really want this game on a portable device.

Only if you can find a circle pad pro for the 3DS version. Otherwise you'll have the same controls as the PSP MGS games where you use the right face buttons as a D pad for camera control. If you're okay with that, it's fine without the circle pad pro.

For me, that whole face button/D pad control scheme pretty much wrecked every MGS game on the PSP.

BHR-3 said:
i though it was really good havent played 4 or PW though, i like that it takes place in mostly a jungle environment and the story was good i think i even teared up during the ending. i played it on ps2 when it came out during that time the show lost just started so that whole jungle environment was a strong point for me b/c i liked the show aswell. i ended up replaying it on ps2 around early 2008 to earn the stealth camo which was bad ass to use made you fell like the predator

Seece leaves VGChartz, Selnor buys a PS3, and now this! BHR-3 using periods in his sentences!!!!!

Next step: capital letters.

pezus said:
I must get this collection. How are the controls you feel? Are they not clumsy like so many PS2-era games?

The controls in MGS3 are great, not so much in MGS2. The only downside is that you aim with R1 and shoot with square, but you get used to it. The controls in Peace Walker are much, much better than in the PSP version, to the point where it makes the game easier.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.