By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - blu-ray vs. hd dvd - universal and paramount

now it is cleared that paramount n universal have said that they exclusively backing the hd dvd right? at least the contract says that. now if universal is exclusive only to hd dvd can someone please explain why the movie "bruce almighty" which is universal on blu-ray? also the movie "shooter" which is a universal or paramount, but in america shooter is coming to blu-ray... can someone please explain how is that possible

Around the Network

It depends on the distributor in the region. The distributors buy the rights to the movie and has the final say on which format it is on.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

i dont know if u know this but universal announce that they wil be supporting bluray as well

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/report-universal-no-longer-backing-hd-dvd-exclusively/19054/?biz=1

killzone2 =halo killer!!!!!   

PS3 4 life

games playing

PS3:resident evil /resistance / killzone2/fallout3/uncharted/cod4/MGS4/socom/far cry2/biochock/dead space/street fighter4 

XBOX360:Gears of War/ Bioshock/ Halo3/ gears of war2/left 4 dead/mass effect/fable 2/dead rising

Wii:Zelda TP/ Resident evil 4/ Metriod Prime 3

PSP:Only bought it for God of War and the remote control for my PS3gamertag/PSN=  Dumbkilla

Wii#  0378860588753451

universal hasnt stated that they will support blu ray, they just arent contractually bound to hd dvd any more.

im doubting the legitimacy of that article since it would be all over if official.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

Universal hasn't gone neutral. That article cites an article from Variety, which simply states that Universal's exclusivity agreement with Toshiba has ended, and that they have not renewed the contract.

Will they go neutral? Inevitably, but they have not actually made any such decision yet.

Around the Network

yeah i know all this. im askin universal was planning to release the movie shooter before all the exclusive talk.

this was in middle o end of 2007 that ign.com had a preview of shooter on blu-ray and said in the u.s its coming out in 2008

Unless you're desperate for a film I'd wait right now if you want to buy HD but want to know you've got the winning format.

It's very unlikely HD DVD has a chance now but I guess you never know, and until Universal (who I think would move first) or Paramount publically announce either going neutral or BR only, or Toshiba admit defeat, I guess the 'war' limps on.

I note Variety are hinting Universal will support BR in some form soon and they have very good connections so I doubt you'll have to wait for long in any case.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

The day that the newest Bourne Movie, or a HD trilogy of the Bourne series is released, I will buy that immediately.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

The Variety article was shot to bits by Universal and Paramount. Sure, they may support Blu Ray at some point, but CES was the time to announce it and they didn't. Maybe it's contractual obligations, but they aren't bolting on HD DVD yet.

@ JJ Seth

I have the trilogy on HD DVD - dang, it rocks - and the extra Web content is sweet. Anyone looking for both earlier Bournes on DVD?

madskillz said:
The Variety article was shot to bits by Universal and Paramount. Sure, they may support Blu Ray at some point, but CES was the time to announce it and they didn't. Maybe it's contractual obligations, but they aren't bolting on HD DVD yet.

@ JJ Seth

I have the trilogy on HD DVD - dang, it rocks - and the extra Web content is sweet. Anyone looking for both earlier Bournes on DVD?

Do you have details on their response?  Not doubting you BTW just missed them and wondered what sources you were using/

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...