By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix will step up ports and sequels.

Square Enix changes its business model.

Basically, the high sales of the ports/remakes of the first six FF games on the GBA/DS showed S-E how profitable ports and sequels are. I know it will piss off some purists, but this is a business, and if you want the great games, you need the cash to fund them.

So will this mean the Playstation era FF games will finally get ported or remade? Highly likely, even if not stated. S-E has already stated plans to put VII, VII, and IX on PSN. Yet it's unlikely they will stop there. The DS may also get ports, if all that data can be squeezed into the carts (and with what's been done before, that doesn't seem impossible).

Of course there are further ports to be made. Seiken Denstsu 1 already saw an enhanced remake with Sword of Mana, so 2 (Secret or Mana in the US) and 3 could get ports and remakes on the systems (such as Virtual Console), not to mention the Dragon Quest series, especially since V, VI, and the enhanced remake of IV never got here.

As for sequels, a second true Chrono game would be great, so would nother Vagrant Story game. And if Namco doesn't want anymore Xenosaga games, S-E could call the director back for a Xenogears sequel.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Would be great to play FF7 without so much loading.

I'd hate to say this but I would probably buy a PS3 if they did FFVII from the ground up on it. Also if they allowed a option to change the battle system from fixed (FFVII style) to a moving (Star Ocean 3 style).

*Edit ...Keeps dreaming

Good to see this site is still going 

Quartz said:

I'd hate to say this but I would probably buy a PS3 if they did FFVII from the ground up on it. Also if they allowed a option to change the battle system from fixed (FFVII style) to a moving (Star Ocean 3 style).

*Edit ...Keeps dreaming

What's the battle system Crisi Core is using?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

This may sound unrealistic, but I have wondered how large of downloads games like the Playstation's Final Fantasy games would be if they were reworked for modern consoles. I could be wrong but I believe most of the FMV in Playstation game was actually encoded in MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 format (basically uncompressed/slightly compressed) and on a modern console these could be compressed to (potentially) 10% of their size. 

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
Quartz said:

*Edit ...Keeps dreaming

Star Ocean - Till The End Of Time PS2.

Not sure if it is the same movement as crisis core (I guess so).

@LordOfTheNightKnight

IGN Here go into a little bit of detail about the battle system. Other than that I'm not sure.

HappySqurriel said:
This may sound unrealistic, but I have wondered how large of downloads games like the Playstation's Final Fantasy games would be if they were reworked for modern consoles. I could be wrong but I believe most of the FMV in Playstation game was actually encoded in MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 format (basically uncompressed/slightly compressed) and on a modern console these could be compressed to (potentially) 10% of their size.

I'd say they were slightly compressed, but then again FFVII on the PS did take up 3 CD's...

*Edit, after looking at my copies of FFVII and FFVIII. FFVIII took up 4 CD's!.

Who said more space is not better? (Hopes not to start another 360/PS3 Disc space argument) Although It would make sense for them to put it on the PS3 in that respect.

HappySqurriel said:
This may sound unrealistic, but I have wondered how large of downloads games like the Playstation's Final Fantasy games would be if they were reworked for modern consoles. I could be wrong but I believe most of the FMV in Playstation game was actually encoded in MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 format (basically uncompressed/slightly compressed) and on a modern console these could be compressed to (potentially) 10% of their size. 

it would be a lot smaller not only because of that, but because much of the data was repeated on all 3 of the disks.  That includes the overworld, music, and everything that has to do with battles.  For the most part it was the same data 3 times with different FMVs on each CD.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:
HappySqurriel said:
This may sound unrealistic, but I have wondered how large of downloads games like the Playstation's Final Fantasy games would be if they were reworked for modern consoles. I could be wrong but I believe most of the FMV in Playstation game was actually encoded in MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 format (basically uncompressed/slightly compressed) and on a modern console these could be compressed to (potentially) 10% of their size.

it would be a lot smaller not only because of that, but because much of the data was repeated on all 3 of the disks. That includes the overworld, music, and everything that has to do with battles. For the most part it was the same data 3 times with different FMVs on each CD.

Yep I just re-read HP's question and realised I typed the wrong answer...

Quartz said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Quartz said:

*Edit ...Keeps dreaming

Star Ocean - Till The End Of Time PS2.

Not sure if it is the same movement as crisis core (I guess so).

@LordOfTheNightKnight

IGN Here go into a little bit of detail about the battle system. Other than that I'm not sure.

Look at my username again. There is no "of" after "Lord". It's not "Lord of the night"; it's "Lord THE Night Knight".