By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Mafia Round 39 - Resonance of Fate Arena

theprof00 said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

@bold

Ok I am confuse. Aren't we talking about last round?

Please learn how to use past-tense when talking about something that happened in the past.

I was able to figure out that the first sentence was about last game, but the last sentence seemed to be talking about the present.

Ok! noted. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
noname2200 said:
RolStoppable said:
The only logical reason to be against the time limit is if you want to keep the probability for an eventual lynch higher and on the first Day that only really plays into the hands of the mafia.

Unvote: spurge

Vote: noctis

Some folks believe that, depending on the number of players, a first day lynch is akin to a "free" lynch for the town, so they push for one. I believe it was theRepublic who has some formula to determine when he thinks it is/isn't appropriate.

Other players prefer to have long days in order to generate some conversation between players. If there are people posting, as there are now, I generally fall in this camp.

Finally, the rules in this particular game means that a day one lynch is at least slightly more likely to occur with the time limit. Quote:

"Voting/Lynching will be based on a majority system.  Somebody needs to receive greater than 50% of the total votes in order to be lynched.  If 33% of the remaining players vote for a Time-limit there will be issued a ~24 hour time limit, valid as soon as the last necessary vote has been cast.  Any non votes will be eliminated from the count at the end of each day.  Understand that this means if there are 12 players, and only 9 voted by the end of the day, the 50% measure is based off of the 9 votes, not the 12 votes." (emphasis added)

If your goal was to ensure that no one got lynched today, the time limit was not the best way to go about it. Voting "No Lynch" is more appropriate.

My goal is to get some passion into this game, because for the longest time it looked like only a few people wanted to post at all. Whether somebody gets lynched on the first Day or not isn't really the point. I just want to see anything to happen at all and if that requires the game to be moved faster towards the first NIght and thus someone getting killed, then so be it.

As for your other response to me regarding the general outcome of the games, I have absolutely no idea how many factions I have to expect in this game. But just for example, could it be possible that there is a combination of six townies, three mafiosi, two serial killers and another type of scum which would be an even split between good and bad guys? Or does other type of scum replace one member of the mafia, as in nine townies, two mafiosi and one serial killer?

Only stefl knows for certain, but the general rule is that every faction is supposed to have an equal shot at winning. So if there's just a town and one mafia, the golden ratio is 1 mafia for every 3 townies. If there's a town and two mafia, each of the mafia will be smaller, etc.

It's EXTREMELY unlikely that more than half the players are scum, though. It's not impossible, there was a game several years ago where almost everyone was a serial killer, and a more recent one where nearly half the players were scum (one of whom could create additional scum), but those tend to be the exception rather than the rule, and I would think those set ups are harder to pull off without having more players than we do.

Because we are only a dozen, I think it's safe to expect there to be only one mafia faction, probably three players big; having multiple scum factions, and thus multiple night kills, would make this too short a game, and having more than three scum would make this unbalanced. That said, don't automatically assume it's just one mafia of three: we'll get more information as the game progresses, and it's not unheard of for games to have curveballs thrown at the players.

RolStoppable said:
noname2200 said:
RolStoppable said:
The only logical reason to be against the time limit is if you want to keep the probability for an eventual lynch higher and on the first Day that only really plays into the hands of the mafia.

Unvote: spurge

Vote: noctis

Some folks believe that, depending on the number of players, a first day lynch is akin to a "free" lynch for the town, so they push for one. I believe it was theRepublic who has some formula to determine when he thinks it is/isn't appropriate.

Other players prefer to have long days in order to generate some conversation between players. If there are people posting, as there are now, I generally fall in this camp.

Finally, the rules in this particular game means that a day one lynch is at least slightly more likely to occur with the time limit. Quote:

"Voting/Lynching will be based on a majority system.  Somebody needs to receive greater than 50% of the total votes in order to be lynched.  If 33% of the remaining players vote for a Time-limit there will be issued a ~24 hour time limit, valid as soon as the last necessary vote has been cast.  Any non votes will be eliminated from the count at the end of each day.  Understand that this means if there are 12 players, and only 9 voted by the end of the day, the 50% measure is based off of the 9 votes, not the 12 votes." (emphasis added)

If your goal was to ensure that no one got lynched today, the time limit was not the best way to go about it. Voting "No Lynch" is more appropriate.

My goal is to get some passion into this game, because for the longest time it looked like only a few people wanted to post at all. Whether somebody gets lynched on the first Day or not isn't really the point. I just want to see anything to happen at all and if that requires the game to be moved faster towards the first NIght and thus someone getting killed, then so be it.

As for your other response to me regarding the general outcome of the games, I have absolutely no idea how many factions I have to expect in this game. But just for example, could it be possible that there is a combination of six townies, three mafiosi, two serial killers and another type of scum which would be an even split between good and bad guys? Or does other type of scum replace one member of the mafia, as in nine townies, two mafiosi and one serial killer?

It's usually one mafia for every 3 townies.

This lends to well balanced games of multiples of 4. 4,8,12,16

When the total number is off, you simply take the discrepancy and boost the opposite site site by an amount that should even the players.

If there is a third party serial killer, there is usually only one, although multiples have been known to occur, it's very hard to balance because 2 SKs plus mafia could result in three townie kills in one night, effectively sealing off townies ability to win. Thus, multiple kills and some powers often have limitations, "every other night" is a popular one, as well as "even/odd nights" (and before you ask, yes there is a difference between every other night and even/odd nights).

Generally if there is an SK, then the number of mafia should stay the same and additionally have a protective role. If you remove a mafia for the sake of an SK, and the SK kills a mafia, well, it's pretty much game over, town wins....

SK should generally be included in games that are slightly over balance. ie; games of 13, 17, 9.

A balanced round in which an SK appears indicates there should be a greater variety of town roles, as well as some way for the mafia to protect itself.

At the risk of being ridiculed for not noticing something obvious; is there a reason for your sudden change in vote Rol?

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Aww, that's the sweetest thing anyone's ever said to me. ^_^

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
noname2200 said:
Aww, that's the sweetest thing anyone's ever said to me. ^_^

Taking it so easily and calmly makes it all the more obvious that you are one of the mafia. Only townies would panic after being accused of being mafia. See: spurgeonryan.

spurgeonryan said:
Di I assume you were scum or even vote you in a fit of rage? Negative. Suspicious yes. By the way now I am sitting on the couch on my phone watching sienfeld, so I cannot go back to see who the 3-4 people are that I was suspicious of in the past.

Pretty sure I did answer your question though.

Oh yes, you answered my question.  I'm just saying your answer went beyond my question, to a place I never expected or wanted it to go, and it's all your fault. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

spurgeonryan said:
Yeah pressure and saying stupid stuff usually get me lynched or murdered at night in cold blood. So that is probably why I should just lurk. But I am like a Mustang Rol, I cannot just sit back and let it all pass me by! Do not chain me!

In fairness, folks are suspicious of you this game because you've tended to hop onboard with what others are saying, but you haven't been particularly proactive, unless you count defending yourself.

On a broader note, I believe we've cut down on the lurking-lurkers since Monday: the only person who'd still qualify for that morenoingrato. It doesn't help that he's been logged on for the past hour at least, but hasn't answered the question I put to him over an hour ago. Perhaps he's answered a similar question earlier, and I missed it in my prior browsing?

Mario isn't posting much, and the bulk of that has been in defending himself from prof's questioning, but I don't quite put him at "lurking" status.

Unvote spurgeonryan

OK, we only have a limited amount of time here, but I really want to put together a lynch of morenoingrato.  His participation has been beyond awful, and Day 1 is the best possible time to weed that sort of thing out. 

morenoingrato said:
So much off-topic blablabla.
Vote: Time Limit.

Here he pops in, for the first time in days, to say nothing of consequence, vote for a time limit, and leave without responding to any of the people who immediately called him on it and asked for his thoughts on other things. 

morenoingrato said:
@Whoever quoted me:
it's better to have a time limit and have some sort of progress during night than dragging along forever.

Here he pops in, for the first time in days, to reveal that he DIDN'T EVEN READ the post that quoted him, which I know because I made that post and his "answer" is irrelevant to what I said.  ("And what about what was ON topic?  Nothing to say?  And you also have no opinion about all the people going off topic?")

Admittedly, he's stuck around a little more, probably to ride out the end of the Day trying to give people the impression he hasn't been horribly lurking. 

Now, I'd be lying if I said I felt very strongly that he was scum.  But frankly, my dears, I don't give a damn.  Lynching him is what's best for town regardless. 

Vote morenoingrato

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

RolStoppable, I don't know exactly how confident you are that noname is mafia, but I think that moreno has decent chances of being scum and ALSO has extremely high chances of being a detriment to the town even if he's not, while I think you'd agree that if you're wrong about noname then he'd be a great asset in later days.