By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony breaking even on PS3/making profit 40gb PS3

Darc Requiem said:
If it cost them $400 to make a 40GB PS3 they are still losing money on each unit sold. With the MSRP being $399.99, retailers probably pay around $380 for each 40GB unit they stock. Thats assumming the $400 cost estimate includes the actual manufacturing and shipping cost. If its only component costs, then the losses would be much steeper. The quarterly report from Sony will give us an indication of what the costs of the 40GB model is.

There is also marketing and distribution costs as well. All those national TV commercials don't come cheap, especially ones that air during football. 

Around the Network

The blu-ray diodes cost has already dropped by $100.00 or so. They did cost OVER $100 a piece when the ps3 first came out, not they are around $7.00 a piece. That's HUGE savings from just one part.

Well, I now only have access to a PS3 & 360...Plan on buying a wii soon (lol, if I can ever find one available!) but will probably wait until some of the major RPG's come out like Dragon Quest & Tales, etc.

Anyhow, I'm so far behind in games to play that I'm not in a huge hurry (lol, haven't even gotten a chance to finish God of War II yet!) 

Sorrow880 said:
The blu-ray diodes cost has already dropped by $100.00 or so. They did cost OVER $100 a piece when the ps3 first came out, not they are around $7.00 a piece. That's HUGE savings from just one part.

Then why are BD players still retailing for the same price as a PS3?

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

congratulations sony!!, now you are only stealing to us(Europeans)

rocketpig said:
Sorrow880 said:

Then why are BD players still retailing for the same price as a PS3?

That's a good point ... To put it another way:

Consider HD-DVD players, their primary advantage over Blu-Ray players is that they're less expensive; now Toshiba has a very good reason to sell their players close to cost or at a loss and yet they're still $300 (for the most part). The PS3 has several expensive components (Hard-drive, Cell processor and GPU, Memory, etc.) which are not in Toshiba's HD-DVD player.

Certainly it is possible that Sony is breaking even on the manufacturing costs, but there are lots of reasons not to believe it.

Around the Network

Another thing to consider is that while at some point the diodes may have cost $100 on the open market, it's likely that Sony negotiated a bulk price that may or may not have been ever close the the open market price. Most likely the contract was for much lower.

Even ignoring all the arguments which have already been presented against the idea that Sony is breaking even on the PS3 per hardware unit (some of which are quite good), I just find it incredibly hard to believe that Sony could have slashed the cost of production by 50% after little more than a year on the market.

The PS3 is composed of several pieces of very new technology, which for the most part have never been mass-produced before, so this is just very hard to believe, especially when all the evidence we have for it is a couple of random websites with little credibility.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

brute said:
Diomedes1976 said:
The article had its source ,it wasnt made up estimations .

yes but dont you think sony would of been reporting this much more

would they? If people knew that production costs were way down, would people start wanting another price cut?

Earnings will be out in a couple weeks. We'll know the real story then.

I call BS on this article. However if its true...

the only way this can possibly be true of them breaking even is if those other sold assets in 2007 gained them enough money for the division.

Seling assets from another division and pumping the cash into the game division to pretend/coverup the huge debt to break even is BS. They are no were near breaking even.