By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Shepard Fairey faces prison over Obama "Hope" poster

Tagged games:

Wow. What a turd. He deserves his time in the slammer.

I HOPE he enjoys his stay.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

I would have thought this highly recognizable image has worked wonders for Obama. Free advertising that people actually want to pay for.

hollabackenny said:
I would have thought this highly recognizable image has worked wonders for Obama. Free advertising that people actually want to pay for.

It did great things for Obama - he's not the person complaining.

Rath said:
hollabackenny said:

Surely he can calm matters down. Just invite everyone over for a beer and everyone can be happy. 

spurgeonryan said:
Prison? Do we really need to waste tax money on some guy who lied where he got his picture from for Obama? Who really gives a crap! Fine him, have him pay restitution's and all that crap and call it a day.

He lied to a federal judge. That in and of itself is a major violation of the law, and carries jail time.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
Rath said:
hollabackenny said:

No, but I bet the Justice Department gave the Prez a heads up before they proceded to get his apporval.

He's been all over the map on the Justice Department.

1) First he said he was going to specifically instruct law agencies to avoid pressing charges on state approved marijuana farms that are against federal law.

2)Then he was fighting for Don't Ask, don't Tell saying the president can't choose what laws to defend.

3)Then he said he wouldn't fight against some laws... including I believe a gay marriage bill....

4)and then he started cracking down HARD on state legal pot farms and dispenseries...

5)along with this...  Which, this guys poster was a HUGE help to the Obama campaign.

It's confusing, but I think it all has to do with votes.

1) Obama needed the liberal vote because McCain was billed as "The Maverick" so he talked down marijuana crimes.

2) Then Don't ask Don't tell was going to be upended, by GAY REPUBLICANS under a democrats watch.  So he tried to stall it out and prevent the ruling so that "Congress could pass a law to do it the right way."  Which was ridiculious I mean it only brings to mind all the various supreme court rulings for other civil rights.  That would of been problematic, a group of gay republicans whose party doesn't even support them, getting something done that others who "sat and waited there turn" with the democrats.

This has led to the huge gay marriage push... ironically the breakthrough the gay rights movement might have come from the right... which lead too

3) Obama stalled long enough for congress to pass through the measure... (I think?  Or maybe it happened after his injunction got turned down.)  At this point he's "getting ahead on the issue."  to hold up that they're the way to go, without actually pushing for anything too hard to scare off moderates and conservatives.  Espiecally socially conservative democrats in important states like Ohio, Michigan and Florida.

4) I don't know what the hell this is about... appeal to conservative authrotiarians because nobody is happy with romney?  The republicans being more conservative so the middle is ripe for the taking... I dunno.

5)  I'd guess this guy is getting the short end of the stick soley because it can't hurt Obama.  While "This guy who helped obama escapes justice" could be a negative campaign ad.

Why would the Justice department give him a heads up? This guy clearly broke the law and it is not at all up to the president to decide whether he gets prosecuted or not...

Kasz216 said:

1) First he said he was going to specifically instruct law agencies to avoid pressing charges on state approved marijuana farms that are against federal law.

Haha, yeah. Compare what he said as a candidate to this... thing.

Fucking priceless.

OT: I think instead of sending Fairey to prison they should send him back to Denmark to get his ass kicked some more.

Rath said:
Why would the Justice department give him a heads up? This guy clearly broke the law and it is not at all up to the president to decide whether he gets prosecuted or not...

Actually it is.

The attorney general is a member of the President's cabinent just like the Secretary of State, Secretary of Defense... etc.

The president directs the attorney general what laws to enforce or not via memos and the attorney general works at the leisure of the president.  Meaning he's removable at any time for any reason.

For example here... he specifically tells the justice department to NOT defend a law.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/02/president-obama-instructs-justice-department-to-stop-defending-defense-of-marriage-act-calls-clinton/

Kasz216 said:
Rath said:

Actually it is.

The attorney general is a member of the President's cabinent just like the Secretary of State, Secretary of Defense... etc.

The president directs the attorney general what laws to enforce or not via memos and the attorney general works at the leisure of the president.  Meaning he's removable at any time for any reason.

For example here... he specifically tells the justice department to NOT defend a law.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/02/president-obama-instructs-justice-department-to-stop-defending-defense-of-marriage-act-calls-clinton/

That is not the same as telling the attorney general not to prosecute a person because they did something helpful to Obama. Doing that would be in itself illegal and I believe impeachable.