By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC Problems Q&A thread

ssj12 said:
totalwar23 said:
epsilon72 said:
totalwar23 said:
Okay, this isn't really a problem but a question.
I currently have 2 GB RAM dual channel and want to upgrade to 2 * 2GB sticks. However I was told that isn't possible. I want to know why not?

Here is the current RAM I have now.

DDR2
Module size: 1024 Mbytes.
Max Bandwidth: PC2-5300 (333 MHz)

Which is it? Is your ram 333 mhz or is it PC2-5300? (those are two different speeds of ram)

Doesn't DDR2 double that speed to 667MHz

its a matter of how much ram the motherboard supports. Dont listen to people saying that XP doesnt support 4GB of ram. Thats BS. XP jsut doesnt count past like 3.7GBs of ram. You could have 16GBs of ram and only have it read as 3.7GBs. 

Wouldn't it depend on how much ram his video card has also?

Around the Network
epsilon72 said:
ssj12 said:
totalwar23 said:
epsilon72 said:
totalwar23 said:
I currently have 2 GB RAM dual channel and want to upgrade to 2 * 2GB sticks. However I was told that isn't possible. I want to know why not?

DDR2

Which is it? Is your ram 333 mhz or is it PC2-5300? (those are two different speeds of ram)

its a matter of how much ram the motherboard supports. Dont listen to people saying that XP doesnt support 4GB of ram. Thats BS. XP jsut doesnt count past like 3.7GBs of ram. You could have 16GBs of ram and only have it read as 3.7GBs. 

im honestly not sure.. I think because the video card ram is dedicated it doesnt matter. Just dont quote me on this one. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
totalwar23 said:
epsilon72 said:
totalwar23 said:

DDR2

Oh, so it's my crappy motherboard. Ah well, it wasn't like I was going to run any important apps anyways. I just notice Vista took just a little bit longer to load stuff.

totalwar23 said:
ssj12 said:
totalwar23 said:
epsilon72 said:
totalwar23 said:

DDR2

Oh, so it's my crappy motherboard. Ah well, it wasn't like I was going to run any important apps anyways. I just notice Vista took just a little bit longer to load stuff.

if you want upgrade to 4GBs because it would increase your overall system speed.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

ssj12 said:
epsilon72 said:
ssj12 said:
totalwar23 said:
epsilon72 said:
totalwar23 said:

DDR2

im honestly not sure.. I think because the video card ram is dedicated it doesnt matter. Just dont quote me on this one. 

From some quick and dirty googling it looks like that may be the case. (4 gigs + 512mb video ram = 3.5 gigs useable by windows?)

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
totalwar23 said:
ssj12 said:
totalwar23 said:
epsilon72 said:
totalwar23 said:

DDR2

if you want upgrade to 4GBs because it would increase your overall system speed.

wait a minute... didn't you just say my motherboard couldn't support 2GB sticks?

epsilon72 said:
ssj12 said:
epsilon72 said:
ssj12 said:
totalwar23 said:
epsilon72 said:
totalwar23 said:

DDR2

From some quick and dirty googling it looks like that may be the case. (4 gigs + 512mb video ram = 3.5 gigs useable by windows?)

you mean XP at least. Vista supports 16GBs from what I know of. he is talking Vista. 

totalwar23 said:
ssj12 said:
totalwar23 said:
ssj12 said:
totalwar23 said:
epsilon72 said:
totalwar23 said:

DDR2

wait a minute... didn't you just say my motherboard couldn't support 2GB sticks?
He didn't necessarily say that - that is just a factor to consider when you are looking to buy ram. Check your motherboard's/computer's manual.  When did you buy your computer/motherboard?

Sorry if these are really dumb questions but I don't know a lot about the tech side of computers.

I'd like to upgrade my PC and am planning on getting the Intel Core 2 Duo E8500. My first question is pretty straight forward; will it work with my ASUSTeK A7V8X-X REV 1.xx motherboard?

Secondly, is it worth getting? Does it have any serious flaws that make another model preferable? Basically I'm sick of my PC being so slow and I want to seriously improve its speed. I often run a lot of programs at the same time and my current set up just can't cope. I'm hoping that adding more RAM and upgrading the processor will solve the problem.

I currently have a 2.13 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP processor and 512MB RAM. Will replacing it with the Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 and 3GB of RAM solve my problems and allow me to, for example, run the internet, a couple of Adobe Creative Suite programs, iTunes and a virus scanner at the same time? If I do that at the moment my computer falls over and dies.

ferret1603 said:
Sorry if these are really dumb questions but I don't know a lot about the tech side of computers.

I'd like to upgrade my PC and am planning on getting the Intel Core 2 Duo E8500. My first question is pretty straight forward; will it work with my ASUSTeK A7V8X-X REV 1.xx motherboard?

Secondly, is it worth getting? Does it have any serious flaws that make another model preferable? Basically I'm sick of my PC being so slow and I want to seriously improve its speed. I often run a lot of programs at the same time and my current set up just can't cope. I'm hoping that adding more RAM and upgrading the processor will solve the problem.

I currently have a 2.13 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP processor and 512MB RAM. Will replacing it with the Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 and 3GB of RAM solve my problems and allow me to, for example, run the internet, a couple of Adobe Creative Suite programs, iTunes and a virus scanner at the same time? If I do that at the moment my computer falls over and dies.

First off, your motherboard is a Socket "A" motherboard and your processor is Socket "LGA 775". In short no they aren't compatible.

As far as the processor is concerned it is a very solid processor and shouldn't have any issues for you. With that said I think your problem has far more to do with memory than sheer processing speed. Just about anything from adobe is going to be a memory hog and their creative suite is a pretty big culprit even for them.

Normally I would recommend you upgrade your RAM first and see if it fixes the problem..BUT...looking at your motherboard it takes DDR SDRAM and any LGA 775 motherboard you buy is going to take DDR2 RAM. Really though you want to upgrade to DDR2 anyways so thats not much of an issue.

What might be an issue (depending on budget) is if you need to upgrade your CPU, Mobo, and RAM all at once. There are a lot of options you can go with for your motherboard but just a quick look around at newegg.com shows that you can get the CPU for about $250, 4GB of DDR2 800 for around $80-$90 and the mobo will be between $60 and $240 depending on the features you want.

If you go middle of the road for the mobo you will be looking at around $435. Sounds a bit steep since you're only replacing a few parts but truthfully the mobo and CPU are 2 of the 3 most expensive parts.

In all honesty that processor might actually be a bit beefier than you need now. So if money is an issue I think you can get by with on something a lot more affordable.

PS - Do you plan on gaming on this PC or just what you've meantioned thus far? 

To Each Man, Responsibility