By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - First day sales in Japan (4/19)

At first, the data showed below may be surprising for you. But it is not unexpected result for gamers in Japan.

#As a general trend, first day of Nintendo isn't so high and drastically inclreses in Sat. and Sun. This is because the main parton base of Nintendo games is family. The people buy games at release day are mainly gamers. Many people like children and family buy games weekend.

Fate/stay night Realta Nua (PS2) : about 90k

Persona 3 Fes (PS2) : about 65k

Super Paper Mario (Wii) : about 70k

Final Fnatasy (PSP) : about 30k

Nodame cantabile (DS) : about 1.5k

Clubhouse Games (with wi-fi) (DS) : about 7.5k

The Atelier of Lise (DS) : less than Clubhouse Games.

source : http://ameblo.jp/sinobi

If you need something about Japanese market from the perspective of Japanese, please contact me.

Around the Network

Bought myself FF and Paper Mario today. I'd expected Paper Mario to sell more, somehow dissapointing. Or am I overreacting? On the other hand, 2 million WII's in Japan against 21 million PS2 consoles, maybe not bad at all

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

Mario games tend to have a very long sales curve. Look at how long SMB has been on the charts. Steady sales for a very long time.

Yes, unbelievable how well SMB is still selling, although it can be said, that game is the best Mario handheld game ever, at least, that's my personal opinion  It would be great if Paper Mario would have a long sales curve, although a handheld game is easier to sell well for longer then a console game I guess.

I'd imagine many new Wii buyers will pick up Paper Mario. If so, that will mean steady sales for quite some time.

Around the Network

Isn't fate/stay a hentai series?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Y-Koron-san added in his first post the reason why Nintendo sales are somewhat low at first day of release. Look forward for the sale figures next week to see how well the game has sold in the weekend in Japan. 70.000 plus....??? I'm louzy at gambling so better not take the risk

Yes I wonder how many people will also buy WII Sports as it looks like many people who buy the WII in Japan pick up WII Sports and Play as well.

I'd say SPM will probably pull in around 300-400K for thhe first week

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Thank you y-koron, your data is fantastic as always :)

I don't think it will get over 250k first week personally. the school holidays have finished recently and it is not a great time to be buying games in Japan.

Well the thing is that the first week sale of a game in Japan in the charts are only a few days, Thursday until Monday, not a full week. So basically when you say "first week of sale", it are actually 4 days ;)

@Avinash_Tyagi wow that's a major guess, would be awesome but I must say I doubt it too, but you never know for sure of course.