a great game! 4 5.88%

a good game! 8 11.76%

a rental 2 2.94%

quite a looker and not much more... 7 10.29%

a bad game 6 8.82%

(in the interest of avoid... 2 2.94%

Total:68

3 raw for Sega.

Two can play this anagram game, Tads12!!

Okay. Gears of War is the franchise that defines this gen for me. I love it. Quick spoiler filled synopsis:

Gears of War 1: In the world of Sera (not to be confused with Serah from Final Fantasy), mankind has been warring amongst themselves only to be forced to unite when faced with extinction by a new and more powerful threat from underground known as The Locust. In an attempt to destroy The Locust, they've even destroyed their own cities. In the midst of this, we meet Marcus Fenix. A prisoner for reasons unexplained. Because mankind is facing extinction, he is released and due to circumstances, he becomes the leader of Delta Squad. His team is tasked with the suicide mission of delivering a device known as "The Resonator" to the heart of the Locust stronghold. If they are successful, the underground lair of the Locust can finally be located and humanity's weapons can destroy them.

Beneath the earth is a golden liquid known as Imulsion. It's a valuable fuel on planet Sera. Near the end, we encounter a minor enemy that is glowing from Immulsion exposure. Carmine dies.

Gears of War 2: We find out that the person Dom (Marcus' best friend and "brother") was looking for in Gears 1 was his wife, Maria. At the same time, mankind is launching an attack on the Locust on their home turf. Only one stronghold remains because the Locust have learned to sink entire cities underground. After finding his wife and being forced to put her out of her misery, Dom develops some problems. The good guys take out the giant creature destroying cities and realize that the only way they can stop the Locust is to flood their caverns. To do this, they decide to sink their city. This will cause Immulsion to flood the cave and destroy the Locust once and for all.

We see that there is a war going on between Locust and "Lambent Locusts"--glowing versions of the Locust, contaminated by Immulsion. Also, some people are developing a disease called "Rust Lung". Another Carmine Brother dies.

Gears of War 3: Mankind has no place left to hide. No cities. People are scattered and hopeless. Fenix and his team live with others on a giant tanker and do what they can to find supplies in the remains of destroyed cities. Marcus's father that "died" before the first game turns out to be alive--as hinted in the other games. Meanwhile, the war between Locust and Lambent Locust has spilled onto the surface world. On a mission to find fuel, Marcus and company find out that there are contaminated Lambent Humans, too. Caught in a battle between Locust, Lambent Locust, and Lambent Humans, Dom sacrifices himself so that his friends can escape. Fenix meets old friends from the first two games and finally reaches his father.

HIs father reveals that the wonder fuel, Immulsion is actually a parasite and it's infecting all living things on planet Sera. He has been developing an experiment that will wipe out the Immulsion but will also kill the Locust. It turns out that the Locust had attacked because they were looking for a cure for the Lambent but knew that Fenix's cure would kill them, too. Adam Fenix unleashes his cure with help from his son but, because he has been testing Immulsion on himself, the cure kills him, too.

Next up--my review of Gear of War 3.

Around the Network

First off, Gears is a beautiful looking, sounding, and playing game. Everything about the series that gamers love has been polished to perfection. At times, the attention to detail and lighting are jaw dropping. The story has some filler moments and doesn't flow as well as I'd hope but it reaches a very satisfying conclusion. The levels that feature a flashback to Cole's former glory, Dom's noble sacrifice, and the death of Marcus Fenix's dad are up there as some of my favorite memories from this generation.

What I didn't like was this game's lack of variety. People complained about the variety in Gears 2 (some times, people need to shut the hell up) and the developers listened. No more flying creatures. No more riding in tanks over icy environments. No more trying to survive inside of a giant worm. Four player co-op has been added and so, in an attempt to keep all four players excited at all times, the game has become battle after battle after battle. This is insanely fun with four people online but not as engaging when playing solo.

Two player split-screen, four player online co-op campaign, horde mode, and a slew of other features make the game a must buy and a great value. To fast of a pace and a lack of those slow moments and variety from Gears 2 make it a little of a let down. The best looking and best playing game of the franchise but not as original as the first and not as absorbing as the second. It's the "Return of the Jedi" of the series.

9/10

Surprising how not many people are commenting despite Xbox fans taking over this site.

dsage01 said:
Surprising how not many people are commenting despite Xbox fans taking over this site.

Xbox fans have and still are the minority on this site (excluding PC since well they are extinct here pretty much)

Former something....

RolStoppable said:
Gears of War 3 was a masterpiece in terms of storytelling. Never before have I felt so moved by a tale about highly trained soldiers fighting an alien race with homo-erotic undertones. While we didn't get the Citizen Kane of video games yet, we at least got our Brokeback Mountain already. Epic, simply Epic.

I give this game a score of 9.3 out of 10.

You've convinced me to finally jump in.

Around the Network

Come on, I know there are more people on this site that have played Gears 3 than this.

yo_john117 said:
Come one, I know there are more people on this site that have played Gears 3 than this.

Better start spamming Xbox fans' wall.

9.1. Did everything you'd expect and solidly too. Add in toned down dudebro overtones (or I'm getting anesthetized to it) a more even SP campaign with a fair bit less daftness than before coupled with very good MP and it's a high score from me.

With Gears 1 & 2 I literally wanted to strangle Marcus and the gang, as they were so annoying and took away from otherwise very well constructed games, but this time they were okay. Go figure.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

trasharmdsister12 said:
yo_john117 said:
Come one, I know there are more people on this site that have played Gears 3 than this.

I'm considering blowing through the campaign tonight just so I can add another review. It would be a dis-service to the franchise though to rush through it for the sake of a small internet review. I think I'll try to play a couple of hours a day over the weekend and hopefully get through it in time to add something here.

I think the problems here are a) it's a 360 exclusive and b) I created the thread.

I think the problem here is mainly the first one lol. 

You should definitely try to finish the campaign this weekend.

Have played this game briefly, but nowhere enough to formulate an opinion as it was around a friends house, but tbh, Gears never did engage me personally. I gave up on the first berserker in the first one as it was just plain and boring to me, the campaign of the second one was pretty average too. Nevermind the shotgun rolling on multiplayer.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.