By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Who copied who? Sony invented Move/Wiimote in 2000, WiiU technology patented long before WiiU was announced.

Turkish said:

Sony invented the Move/Wiimote 

Not only is Sony first with the PS3/Vita technology aka WiiU, they also invented the Wiimote/Move and showed it back in 2000:

Yes, because using a glowing orb is *exactly* the same as using a remote with an auxilliary (and separate) controller... You know, it's really not that hard of a concept to get! Not only that, but Wii included motion controls which, surprise surprise, is NOT shown in that video.

I understand that you feel a need to defend Sony and I symphasize with you. I really do. I don't care about the Wii U concept, but when it comes to Wii *Nintendo* was the one who put it all together into the Wiimote and Sony came AFTER with what is practically the same exact concept!!!

EDIT: I feel a need to clarify what I meant by motion controls: the gyroscopic sensors in the Wiimote and Nunchuk.

The BuShA owns all!

Around the Network
zarx said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
idont know about all this but i will say:

Sega Dreameye --> Eye Toy --> Kinect

bye

there fixed it for you

You almost got it, just needed a few extra symbols :)

NEC brought the CD format to home console gaming with the TurboGrafx even before Sega CD, but it was Sony that made it an industry standard with the success of the Playstation. Sega did online gaming before Microsoft, but it was Xbox Live that set the standard for what gamers expect when playing online. Both companies have had their hand in creating standards in gaming.

That said, anyone who dismisses what Nintendo has brought to home gaming is simply in denial. Of course they're not infallible (the Virtual Boy, 64DD, etc) but it's flat-out absurd to equate their ability to innovate to merely a few good ideas, lol.

In the end though, everyone just copied Ralph Baer's Brown Box anyway, even Atari, and gaming is all the better for it.

disolitude said:
zarx said:
PlaystaionGamer said:

bye

there fixed it for you

Actually it should be 
Sega Dreameye --> Mocap Boxing/Police 911 --> Eye Toy --> Kinect

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

My 2 cents is the one who comes out after is the one that copies...though that is my opinion only which many might agree. It's like saying I'm gonna buy or build a boat. But if ones   neighbor/competitor builds/buys one, so the one after it will always be the copy-cat in many people's eyes. It doesn't mean they really copied but the early bird catches the worm; in this case the one to release first is the innovator. Just my 2 cents.

Around the Network
zarx said:
disolitude said:
zarx said:
PlaystaionGamer said:

bye

there fixed it for you

Actually it should be 
Sega Dreameye --> Mocap Boxing/Police 911 --> Eye Toy --> Kinect

lol...indeed. Must give credit where credit is due...

disolitude said:

True but I seem to have forgotten that Police 911 came out in 1999 in Japan so

Game Boy Camera--> Police 911 --> Sega Dreameye = Mocap Boxing (both released in 2000) --> Eye Toy --> Kinect 

There that should be an accurate liniage of camera bassed motion tracking in the world of videogames and show that Nintendo was in fact the first to use a camera with a videogame system

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Oh my goodness! Why are these types of threads being posted so much?! O_O

zarx said:
disolitude said:

True but I seem to have forgotten that Police 911 came out in 1999 in Japan so

Game Boy Camera--> Police 911 --> Sega Dreameye = Mocap Boxing (both released in 2000) --> Eye Toy --> Kinect 

There that should be an accurate liniage of camera bassed motion tracking in the world of videogames and show that Nintendo was in fact the first to use a camera with a videogame system

I think the rule of thumb for articles like in the OP and gaming innovation in general is...it happened in USA or it never happened. So that would rule Police 911 out of the picture.

I mean look at online gaming. I clearly played Duke Nukem 3D and DAyton USA online with random people on my Sega Saturn using Sega Netlink in 1997 and Japan had online gaming networks for Genesis and Snes as early as 1991...yet somehow Dreamcast invented online for consoles. :)

DOES THIS REALLY MATTER! Look, technology always copies one another. It's just a matter at what can make it the best. Look at it this way. How many casette players did they make before making Cd player. How many CD players before MP3 players. Phones went from houselines to mobile, to smart. Technology copies each other but they always try to make it better, so really stop being childish because this is the way it is. And just so you know the PSP and the PS3 are seperate consoles, where as the Wii U is one so people shutup on that too. Two different designs. It's like saying XBL should be the only online service since it was made first. "OMG PSN COPIED XBL, ITS THE ENND OF THE WORLD!" Get over it