By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - can anyone actually confirm microsoft and their "win" of 2011

I don't know about all of that but I think the Vita will be great!!

Around the Network
denniswaterman said:
thismeintiel said:

Obviously Ballmer was wrong with his 66+ million sold statement at CES. In fact, he would have been wrong if he was speaking about shipments too, as they only shipped a total of 65.8 million 360's by the end of the year.

i'm not saying that that figure is sold or shipped or whatever. In fact the 66m or 65.8 M has no bearing at all. I'm saying that he couldn't claimed they were the sales leader based on shipment data, because Ballmer wouldn't have Sony or Nintendo's shipment figures  as neither have released them. Not even to shareholders/

However he would have sales figures from NPD, Media Create, Canada (10 % of NPD) Chart Track and GFK for the rest of Europe. Mainly real genuine data from legitamate tracking firms and not the musings of vgc.

Since france is largley accounted for and I would say Xbox 360 took the UK by as much. It's largely down to the detractors to confirm that the rest of Europe  (I guess  Spain, Germany, Italy, Scandanavia etc) gave the PS3 a lead of 1.5-1.6 million to tie or 2.2 million to show this 600k lead you speak of.

Aside from VGChartz, which lets face it, can't even ge t the figures right for countries where we do get sales data on a regular basis, there's no legit data to prove this. I'm sure it could have happened, the onus is to prove that it did.

I mean Since Sony boasted of  a 400% sales increase for the week after the price drop in Australia, why are they silent when it comes to Global sales. Surely that's bigger fish mmm?

The only problem with your reasoning is that all those tracking services you mentioned, NPD, Media Create, Chart Track, and GFK are not supporting his claim.  Granted I believe we only have GFK's HW numbers for France, and not the whole of EU, but the SW sales in EU does not support a huge lift for the 360.  And actually, MS didn't have much of those sales numbers before they made the claim.  Even NPD, a service that tracks where the 360 sells the most, wasn't out before CES.  This lead to VGC adjusting to MS's claim, only having to adjust our numbers down again to be more in line with NPD.

I really don't think when a company has ever stated sales they mean units sold by retailers, but rather units shipped to retailers. There's nothing really noteworthy about overshipping. Also like others said, take VGC numbers with a 'mountain' of salt.

Panama said:
I really don't think when a company has ever stated sales they mean units sold by retailers, but rather units shipped to retailers. There's nothing really noteworthy about overshipping. Also like others said, take VGC numbers with a 'mountain' of salt.

Microsoft usually refer "sold" as sold by retailer, hence the last week confusion. I do agree most companies are always talking about sold to retailer.

There have been multiple threads about this as outlined by BasilZero.