By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can the Xbox 360 sustain sales in 2012 without a price cut?

Tagged games:

Better question, do they drop the price of all the bundles, or do they keep adding value to the cheaper bundles, only cutting the price of the more expensive ones?

or

How much would the price cut be? When will it be?

Those are hard questions. I think MS will go for profitability, they will not cut the price in the first half of this year, even if the 360 is down a lot compared to last year, keep the money coming, and after the Summer boom, regular price drop in US and Americas, and a bigger price drop in Europe and Asian markets.

I think it is possible for the 360 to still go up YoY this year over 2011, but does MS want that over making big money on Hardware like they are right now as we speak?

One think is 100% fact, there will be a price drop. IMO

Around the Network

No, pretty much no matter what MS does, 2012 will see lower 360 sales than 2011 did. MS wouldn't even be aiming to match last year. They'll still sell a large number though.

Halo 4 and the aging Kinect can't stop a YoY decrease. Then add the already cheap PS3 price and Wii U and there will definitely be a price cut.

No chance, even with all those blockbuster games... it really needs a price cut because i cant see Xbox beating 2011 without one.

If you asked that question for 2011 I think most would of said it would not manage this unless it had a significant price cut. This obviously did not happen but they did manage to maintain the momentum possible by shifting to providing higher levels of discouting seasonally through high profile bundling and also of course high profile AAA titles.

Moving back to 2012 and I think it highly unlikely it could maintain this momentum by seasonal discounting alone and so yes I do expect a significant price cut.

There is no doubt that Kinect has injected a new lease of life into the Xbox and it still seems to be gathering pace but whether that can be maintained with a upgraded Wii is still to be see but a price cut would not do any harm.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
Around the Network

I don't think so, I think they'll probably lower the price to help lower sales of the WiiU (why pick up a 360 when you can get a next gen console for an extra $200?)

I think they might drop 4 gig SKU and instead sell 250 gb one for the same price instead of price cutting.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

I really can't tell is the HDs would be down or not, price cut or not. But I really don't see them falling as fast as the Wii did.

A price cut is inevitable. I think that everyone knows it. It's just a matter of when. I could also see Micro$oft waiting until the Ps3 lowers theirs again. But, M$ would probably lower theirs to $229, or something like that. The thing that M$ has going for it is its Kinect bundles, which consumers desire much more then the Move(which is why it's bundled). M$ are no dummies, and I think to many people's surprise they had their best year in sales, without the price cut.