By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Catherine Sequel Speculation

So, I've been doing a lot of thinking on the game Catherine recently and decided to do some research.

First of all, Atlus has claimed Catherine as property material index. This would suggest a franchise as the only other games to carry this are etrian odyssey and Shin Megami Tensei.

Second, the opening to the game is called the golden playhouse, and it's likened to a series in which different "episodes" might be watched. I believe the hsot Trisha even says "today's story" as opposed to something more solitary, like, "this IS a story".

Third, the story makes it appear that this happens every day.

Fourth, deaths take place to people outside the bar.

Fifth, the plot has been going on for hundreds if not thousands of years.

Sixth, Catherine is Atlus' highest selling game in history.

Seventh, there is an anime and manga planned for release.

Discuss.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:

So, I've been doing a lot of thinking on the game Catherine recently and decided to do some research.

First of all, Atlus has claimed Catherine as property material index. This would suggest a franchise as the only other games to carry this are etrian odyssey and Shin Megami Tensei.

Second, the opening to the game is called the golden playhouse, and it's likened to a series in which different "episodes" might be watched. I believe the hsot Trisha even says "today's story" as opposed to something more solitary, like, "this IS a story".

Discuss.

DIdn't Demon souls sell like 3 times as much? 

They didn't develop Demon Souls.
They published it.
Demon's Souls was developed by SCE and From Software.

I think you should put this on hold, what we need right now is Persona 5, not a Catherine sequel.

But seeing as Catherine did so well, its likely that Atlus will release a sequel, but they will probably take their time with it, like they do with all of their awesome games.

UltimateUnknown said:
I think you should put this on hold, what we need right now is Persona 5, not a Catherine sequel.

But seeing as Catherine did so well, its likely that Atlus will release a sequel, but they will probably take their time with it, like they do with all of their awesome games.

Agreed, but most of the development goes into producing the anime sequences, and I'm sure they have a third party doing all that.

The team can focus on persona, and throw a little into catherine here and there.

Around the Network

Could have sworn Persona 3 and 4 outsold it. Not by much but they did so regardless.

A manga/anime would work quite well actually.

Persona may have outsold it with all the remakes they've made, but individually, I don't think they have. Atlus has even said that Catherine is their best selling IP of all time.

Didn't played Catherine (I want to though) but isn't Persona 4 the best selling game for Atlus?
They developed it and it sold almost 800k while Catherine sold around 500k

But oh well, with 500k units sold and the success they had with Catherine, it's possible to Catherine to become a franchise, that would be so sweet.

3DS FC :  4339 - 3326 - 7693. Add me :) Nickname Tin

Andrespetmonkey said:
theprof00 said:

Discuss.

DIdn't Demon souls sell like 3 times as much? 

Maybe it's because Demon souls is not developed by Atlus, and is not a Atlus franchise, and they only published it in America.

But there is still Persona. Persona 4 sold way more than Catherine.

I don't recall them saying Catheine is their best selling game, but I remember them boasting how it did well. I think they might have said it had the best opening for a new IP for them or something aong those lines. VGChartz data doesn't seem to back it up either.

Nonetheless, I think a sequel at some point is likely, but I hope Persona 5 comes first.