By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Android nears 50% mark in the US, comScore reports

Very good for Android.
RIM won't die, it's been in worse situation and resurrected, it has its market where it excels.
Symbian used to be #1, even with Android and iOS growing so fast, it could have been still #3, I can't believe Nokia let it die so horribly in favour of WP7, that can be as good as you want, but it's proving to not cater well for the tastes of those that preferred Symbian when it was still in a good shape.
WP7, maybe is good as its fans say, but I too suspect most people, fighting every day with Windows on their computers, don't want another Windows in their lives. Also, MS has no hope against Apple on fashion driven markets like that of luxury phones, as it lacks the cool factor, while Android managed to turn its geek factor into an alternative cool factor for those that don't like the iPhone.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
zhao3gold said:
Damned. Why nobody wants to use WP7 phones? The system is fucking good!!!!!!!

Android phones penetrate lower price points.

WP7 is fightning for iOS crowd while android targets different markets.  Or rather people who dislike iOS won't like WP7 too.

As for RIM they will be fine as long as they are unbeatable corporate phone maker.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

In UK, the prices for WP7 phones are considerably higher than those of Android it seems, especially in shops, Android phones in some cases come as little as a fifth of the price and in most at least a half. Not sure if it's the same in US but it just seems like android has a much wider appeal as a smart phone than Apple and WP7.

Not hatin', I have an android phone but looking to upgrade to WP7 once my contract ends or going for a more high end android phone like Samsung Galaxy II

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Very good for Android.
RIM won't die, it's been in worse situation and resurrected, it has its market where it excels.
Symbian used to be #1, even with Android and iOS growing so fast, it could have been still #3, I can't believe Nokia let it die so horribly in favour of WP7, that can be as good as you want, but it's proving to not cater well for the tastes of those that preferred Symbian when it was still in a good shape.
WP7, maybe is good as its fans say, but I too suspect most people, fighting every day with Windows on their computers, don't want another Windows in their lives. Also, MS has no hope against Apple on fashion driven markets like that of luxury phones, as it lacks the cool factor, while Android managed to turn its geek factor into an alternative cool factor for those that don't like the iPhone.

Fighting with Windows? Windows 7 is about as good as it gets so I don't see why anyone would have problems with it, XP is rock solid as well. People that have Vista I could see being annoyed with Windows but I doubt very many people have that anymore.

I'm pretty pumped to own a Samsung phone (top phone seller) running on Android (top phone OS).

Apple can go get bent.

Around the Network
yo_john117 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Very good for Android.

Fighting with Windows? Windows 7 is about as good as it gets so I don't see why anyone would have problems with it, XP is rock solid as well. People that have Vista I could see being annoyed with Windows but I doubt very many people have that anymore.

You're right about Win 7, MS put more care than on any of its previous products, before releasing it. But XP, that I still use and is still the most widespread version of Windows, took 2 Service Packs before reaching acceptable safety and stability, while SP3, that even made it better for me and the majority, broke a lot of things for a minority. Then, as you wrote, came Vista, pissing off another 300M users. So there are 1B XP users and 300M Vista users around that know that the vast majority of MS products should not be bought immediately after release, but waiting for a large enough number of bug fixes, and some others should even be left on the shelves altogether, like Vista, MS-DOS 4, Word 6 and Windows ME. So Windows 7 is good and most probably WP7 is too, but after decennia of products highly unreliable at release, it could possibly take decennia too of products good at release before people start trusting MS about this issue.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

It's Apple's fault for not making a keyboard iphone.
hell even an iphone that played flash would be a nice change

PizzaFaceGamer said:
It's Apple's fault for not making a keyboard iphone.
hell even an iphone that played flash would be a nice change

The iPhone being an iPhone is its greatest strength and weakness at the same time.

No handset is going to appeal to 100% of the market, or even a large section of it. Apple knows what its core market is - people who want a unified, polished handset. Apple delivers that very well. Of course, people do want keyboards/different price points/different networks/different UIs and so on. That is generally how most products work.

If Apple did make a keyboard, it'd loose its unified form factor with every other iOS product out there. They would essentially adopt the RIM strategy, and that doesn't work. RIM is getting slaughtered because they are trying to please everyone, and in the end, please no one very well.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Huh. Apple propaganda makes you believe everyone and their grandma owns a IPhone.

How I see just how much BS it is.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Wow. If NPD is correct, the 4S has given Apple a massive surge in US smartphone sales:

http://gigaom.com/2012/01/09/iphone-breathing-down-the-neck-of-android-in-u-s/

I think this surge is just a little too big to be sustainable, and I wouldn't be surprised if Apple settles down to a little under 40% in a quarter or two (i.e., a lot of these sales are upgraders, rather than new users), but it sure demonstrates that the powerful position Android has quickly seized is not unassailable.

The other interesting mobile sales news of the past week is that while Samsung continues to grow rapidly, other Android OEMs such as HTC and Motorola are actually shrinking. If this trend continues, Google may find their power over the Android platform will start slipping into Samsung's hands.

Also, remember that NPD's numbers are unit sales, while comScore's numbers are installed base. So don't be surprised if it takes a few months for a dramatic shift in the former to be seen in the latter.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.