By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SE's Wada speaks out again

krik said:
naznatips said:
krik said:
I might agree with him. Wii hardware is not pushing game development at all . Wii games only push creativity on how to use the Wii controls. This is sad :(

I'm going to be at GDC next month and I'm going to try to figure out what is the general Wii-feel from developers but right now I believe this guy is right. These "casual" Wii games are pretty low quality and they are eating sales from the high quality games. This will eventually hurt the whole industry.

Again though you are going back to the (very) mistaken idea that only casual games can sell on the Wii. There isn't even an argument for this statement. The evidence is so strongly against this idea that it's ridiculous. If he wants to keep making core games, the Wii does not stop him from doing that. Just as the DS doesn't stop him from doing that. Again, he started saying this crap about the PSP and the DS months ago too, but now PSP development looks like an afterthought compared to DS development from SE.

Unfortunaly the games market is rulled by investors... they will not invest in a next-gen game when they can make an easy buck on the Wii.

This is going to cause stagnation of 3D technologies, physics, animations, etc. This is what I'm talking about, the system is too low end for next-gen game developement... with the exception of the controls, of course.

Stagnation how? The Wii is stronger than any system that was out last gen so better graphics, physics, and AI are possible. The growth will not be as rapid as if the 360 or PS3 were the dominant system, but there will still be growth. Even if it does cause stagnation in those few areas that is not stagnation for even the hwole of core gaming. Games are meant to be fun, and a new control scheme or different way of interacting with the environment are just as good at improving fun as better graphics.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network
naznatips said:
celine said:
naznatips said:
There were a lot of similar comments made by Square Enix about the DS versus the PSP when the 2 handhelds were first released. Looking at their release lists on the systems now though that seems like a joke.

That's because Squaresoft made their fortune on cinematic trend.

PSP and PS3 are heavily "cinematic" systems ...

Yes, and look what happened. Their "cinematic" games on the PSP haven't even touched the success of their DS games. They realized that, and now their release lists show it better than ever.

Square Enix PSP games announced and released:

Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy Tactics
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Star Ocean
Star Ocean 2
Dissidia: Final Fantasy
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Kingdom Hearts BBS
Itadaki Street Portable

Square Enix Nintendo DS games announced and released:

Egg Monster Hero
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Dragon Quest Mosters: Joker
Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI
Dragon Quest IX
Children of Mana
Heroes of Mana
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
Final Fantasy Tactics: A2
Itadaki Street DS
Front Mission 1st
Front Mission 2089: Border of Madness
The World Ends With You
Fantasy Earth: Zero
Kingdom Hearts: 358/2

Of the PSP games 7/10 are remakes. Of the DS games 7/21 are remakes. Even the percentage of remakes is hugely different. So yeah, what Square Enix says now certainly doesn't reflect what their release lists will look like 2 years from now.

I agree with you , Naz, I made only a simply and true statement about Square(soft)Enix. Their business model is favored by cinematic and low development cost because JRPG are exprensive to produce ( PS1 ).

But now there is arinsing a new trend ( Social Trend ) and SE is in a bad position because their console of choice ( PS3 ) has seen sluggish sales and high development cost.

DS and Wii are riding the Social Trend and thanks to their huge and fast increasing userbase ( and low development cost )  third party publishers can not seriously avoid them.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

naznatips said:
Soriku said:
Hey, look on the bright side, we have Namco to back the Wii up.

-ToS: KoR
-Fragile
-Sword of Legendia
-Baten Kaitos 3

- image here -

Soriku I would have agreed with Rol if you didn't go right back to believing Surfer Girl. BK3 may happen, but it's not announced. For the love of god stop with the Surfer Girl crap.

Soriku said:
routsounmanman said:
naznatips said:
Soriku said:
Hey, look on the bright side, we have Namco to back the Wii up.

-ToS: KoR
-Fragile
-Sword of Legendia
-Baten Kaitos 3

- image here -

Soriku I would have agreed with Rol if you didn't go right back to believing Surfer Girl. BK3 may happen, but it's not announced. For the love of god stop with the Surfer Girl crap.

- image here -

Too bad SG isn't the one who said that

Bruce says hai:

http://www.rumorreporter.com/?p=332#comments

There goes my little card... oh well, hai Bruce!

It's in JPEG format, Soriku.

Around the Network

From naznatips
Yes, and look what happened. Their "cinematic" games on the PSP haven't even touched the success of their DS games. They realized that, and now their release lists show it better than ever.

True but Crisis Core has done EXTREMELY well in Japan for a PSP game or any game for that matter. It was enough for the PSP to out sell the DS and Wii combined (I'm not kidding) for two weeks. Yes two weeks isn't that long at all, but how often do you see one title that's not Nintendo published or made do that well in Japan right now? Plus the original FF7 did better in America than in Japan, so CC should easily break 1.5 million, probably 2- 3 million WW.

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

Memorable pictures? he he; thanks

swyggi said:
From naznatips

True but Crisis Core has done EXTREMELY well in Japan for a PSP game or any game for that matter. It was enough for the PSP to out sell the DS and Wii combined (I'm not kidding) for two weeks. Yes two weeks isn't that long at all, but how often do you see one title that's not Nintendo published or made do that well in Japan right now? Plus the original FF7 did better in America than in Japan, so CC should easily break 1.5 million, probably 2- 3 million WW.

Final Fantasy 7 was what, 10 years ago. The audience has dropped considerably since then. You also forget that Sony was launching the PSP slims then. Crisis Core was a helping factor but to say that it was solely responsible for the sales increase is inaccurate. I suspect Crisis Core won't be as much of a hit here as it was in Japan.

from totalwar23

Final Fantasy 7 was what, 10 years ago. The audience has dropped considerably since then. You also forget that Sony was launching the PSP slims then. Crisis Core was a helping factor but to say that it was solely responsible for the sales increase is inaccurate. I suspect Crisis Core won't be as much of a hit here as it was in Japan.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. If anything, its popularity has risen since. Some gamers have dropped FF7 as a game they like, but many more have come into the game at the same time. CC is a very highly anticipated title for the PSP and many people in the US have been waiting on it since launch.

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

swyggi said:
from totalwar23

I wouldn't be too sure about that. If anything, its popularity has risen since. Some gamers have dropped FF7 as a game they like, but many more have come into the game at the same time. CC is a very highly anticipated title for the PSP and many people in the US have been waiting on it since launch.

The popularity of FFVII certainly isn't what it used to be, and from what I have played of the downloaded import on my hacked PSP I'm not very happy with Crisis Core.   However, 1.5 million or so world wide is possible I would say.  Even 2 million isn't impossible.  Still, look at the sales of Crisis Core compared to even their remakes of games on the DS.  DQIV outsold Crisis Core's lifetime Japan sales in 3 weeks. 

Square has 4 million sellers on the DS.  They'll have 5 when FFXII:RW launches in others and 6 when FFIV launches in America.  They don't have a single million seller on the PSP.  Not even close.  Although again Crisis Core will be eventually, but considering how much more expensive it is to develop PSP games than DS games I doubt they make more money on that than even 500K sellers on the DS.