By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SE's Wada speaks out again

Has there been any "real" japanese oriented games released on the Wii? I don't really see it as a diss. By real he just means "our tried and true JRPGs."

Seems more like a PS3 diss then anything... i mean Dragon Quest games are like the only "Real" japanese games that are selling over on the DS.

Around the Network
Faxanadu said:
There are geniuses, there are visionaries and then there is Mr. Wada.

WIN

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

ChronotriggerJM said:

Well as much as it is a very trollish statement, it does kind of make sense. I honestly can't immagine SE ever making a "casual" game, I mean it's like giving your PC records to read data, they just don't seem compatable. And if the "big sales" are all casual type games, maybe they think it's cutting into they're market, if that was the case I woulden't want Nintendo ruining my audience :/

Side note, kittens are so cute XD We just had like 8 >_>

Absolutely reasonable, Chrono. One could look at this from two perspectives, however:

1) SE is known for making very traditional, "core" games, and thus they aren't likely to suddenly shift to casual development with any enthusiasm. It's quite possible that this implies continued support of Sony's consoles, as an attempt to resist the casual-oriented direction of Nintendo.

2) SE is stubbornly resisting change in the marketplace, and it could very easily hurt them seriously. If you read the full interview, Wada's position rests on the belief that "core" gamers are just waiting for something to happen in Japan, and then they will leap into action and ignite sales for their "real" games. Given that we know sales for this market have been in decline since at least mid-life PS2, is this really a reasonable assumption? What happens if this re-ignition does not come to pass, and the market Nintendo is going after really is the future? The answer is that Nintendo will consume the entire industry in Japan, and I don't believe that's an understatement. Currently, Nintendo is easily -- easily-- outearning the rest of the Japanese gaming industry combined.

Keep in mind that I think from both viewpoints, Wada's words imply (but do not directly state) a resistance to Nintendo's direction and possibly a continued reliance on the "real" and "core" audience that the PS3 supposedly provides. Whether that is fair or not, I believe that's how he is viewing it.

As a side note: http://www.iggyandbella.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10001/normal_cat.jpg 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

I read it but I did not see anything bad said against Nintendo. He says both of their systems have been very successful lately, and that the core gaming market seems to be in a lull in Japan. I don't see anything that would lead me to believe he questions the Wii's or DS's success.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Please keep in mind, folks, that I'm not trying to imply that Mr. Wada is correct; I'm not saying he is or is not.

Instead, I"m saying this is how he views the world, whether that view is appropriate is irrelevant. And how Mr. Wada views the world has a very significant effect on how SquareEnix acts in it. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

It's not surprising that SQUENIX is pulling a real boner. I don't know why they see a resurgence in gaming patterns after the market has shifted so much in the past 5-6 years.

Gnizmo said:
I read it but I did not see anything bad said against Nintendo. He says both of their systems have been very successful lately, and that the core gaming market seems to be in a lull in Japan. I don't see anything that would lead me to believe he questions the Wii's or DS's success.

You are correct that Mr. Wada doesn't say anything directly negative about the Wii (although one can say he did say something rather negative a month ago: he referred to it as a "toy" in a rather demeaning context, as if the 360 and PS3 are serious but the Wii is not), but he does imply several things.

Again, the best example is his reference to "core" gamers and "real" games. He believes that "core" gamers aren't buying much, and that "real" games aren't popular right now. By simple logic, because the Wii and DS are so dominant right now, and particularly games like Wii Fit and Wii Sports, he is saying these aren't for "core" gamers and aren't "real" games.

From this and other context clues, it is reasonable to infer that SquareEnix is, at the very least, hesitant to strongly support Nintendo's platform and direction.  

Bodhesatva said:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=31912

While this isn't explicitly stated, I think it's reasonable to infer from these statements that Wada is still unconvinced by Nintendo's success. Easiest example: he refers to "real" games currently having a weak audience in Japan, logically implying that the games that are currently doing well, such as Wii Fit and Wii Sports, are "not real" games. Frankly, that sort of terminology is straight out of a troll's textbook on this site.

Whether you think his wording is fair or unfair, whether you think it's a smart or dumb position to take, I think it's reasonable to conclude that SE is consciously resisting a shift towards Nintendo-style development, and this could very likely have an effect on how they support the various platforms this generation.

He's displaying a weakness: he's afraid to embrace change. The "real games" comment is obviously a troll intended to hide his weakness. He doesn't want to admit that the Japanese market may be shifting and that Nintendo is leading the way.

His troll, like his previous troll against Nintendo, is telling: he's very frustrated at future prospects in Japan.  And I think he's frustrated that the platform he's targeted isn't doing as well as he assumed it would.

That's not to say that I think Square is in a dangerous position. Their games have still been popular in Japan. However, it may be time for them to consider some changes which would have a very positive effect on overall sales and perhaps renewing interest among their games with a wider audience.

ChronotriggerJM said:

Well as much as it is a very trollish statement, it does kind of make sense. I honestly can't immagine SE ever making a "casual" game, I mean it's like giving your PC records to read data, they just don't seem compatable. And if the "big sales" are all casual type games, maybe they think it's cutting into they're market, if that was the case I woulden't want Nintendo ruining my audience :/

Side note, kittens are so cute XD We just had like 8 >_> 

o rly?

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Bodhesatva said:
Gnizmo said:

You are correct that Mr. Wada doesn't say anything directly negative about the Wii (although one can say he did say something rather negative a month ago: he referred to it as a "toy" in a rather demeaning context, as if the 360 and PS3 are serious but the Wii is not), but he does imply several things.

Again, the best example is his reference to "core" gamers and "real" games. He believes that "core" gamers aren't buying much, and that "real" games aren't popular right now. By simple logic, because the Wii and DS are so dominant right now, and particularly games like Wii Fit and Wii Sports, he is saying these aren't for "core" gamers and aren't "real" games.

From this and other context clues, it is reasonable to infer that SquareEnix is, at the very least, hesitant to strongly support Nintendo's platform and direction.  

I think that is reading into it just a step too far. He is certainly speaking negatively about Nintendo as a developer, and the Japanese market as a whole. Leaping from there to the success of the platform is just a bit too much of a leap for me though. If he had said, or implied that Nintendo is only doing well in hardware because of the non-real games then I would be agreeing with you, but he never really even implies that.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229