By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 mini incoming?

Will Sony Slim the PS3?

Yes 107 55.15%

No 87 44.85%

Total:194
nightsurge said:
VetteDude said:

The slim has a genious cooling design that uses 1 fan for the chips and PSU.

The fatty has an epic system as well, although its confusing:

That picture, to me, shows they have little to NO room for shrinking the console anymore. In fact, it was a struggle to reduce it to this size from the old Fats which were also about the same crowdedness inside. Shrinking the cpu/gpu in order to shrink the cooling system and power supply is really the only way they could do this, but even then I don't see the overall size shrinking much, if at all

The most encumbrant parts are BD drive, fan, air duct, heat sink and the motherboard. Using a slim BDD, its thickness can be reduced, but not the other sides, but freed thickness can be used not only to make the whole console thinner, but also to fit HDD, slots and other small things that aren't on the mobo. Shrunk CPU and GPU with lower power consumption, and multipurpose chips to integrate more minor components, will allow air duct, heat sink and motherboard to be shrunk too (I'd leave unchanged the fan size to avoid increasing the noise). A metal case could make heat dissipation, and so shrinking too, even easier, but I don't know whether Sony will go that way.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
If they do...I could see it being a failure like the PSPGo....

That is if they make it entirely different like the PSPGo was to the PSP.

why would a PS3 in a smaller case fail and at a cheaper price... 

lol the slim, ps3 is already out there wont be another redesign maybe the shell it self like the ps2 9000 but size i dont think so

well the current slim isn't really slim now is it?

MARCUSDJACKSON said:

It's slim compared to the original PS3. The original PS3 is a beast.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

PSN ID: Ferrari_1996

Around the Network
Ferrari_7861 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

It's slim compared to the original PS3. The original PS3 is a beast.

a beast! more like a grizzly bear lol.

They could, but it is way too late in the gen to do that. It would be nice to see tho.

BasilZero said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
BasilZero said:
If they do...I could see it being a failure like the PSPGo....

That is if they make it entirely different like the PSPGo was to the PSP.

why would a PS3 in a smaller case fail and at a cheaper price... 

No I mean if they do extreme changes like the PSPGo where you can only buy games online, retail games wont work on it.

oh! that would be crap!!! nah they wont do that lol

loy310 said:
They could, but it is way too late in the gen to do that. It would be nice to see tho.

they released the PSone after the PS2 was out.. its NEVER to late :D

It's a simple production cost/profitability equation.

Obviously SCE is going to keep simplifying the PS3 design in the interest of both. Maybe the only question is when or if those changes evolve enough into something that can easily be engineered to fit into a smaller and cheaper package.

That and if/when they want to do a new marketing campaign for the "new" PSThree.

For $199, I'd buy another one anyway.