By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why has Nintendo not put in a achievement system in the 3DS/Wii and has the HD twins missed a golden opportunity?

What do you want to see more? I know it's a rough one, pick one.

Wii/3DS add achievement s... 19 73.08%

Last gen games getting tr... 7 26.92%

Total:26

Because you are not meant to achieve anything by playing a Nintendo game?

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network

This might be a shocking news for some posters here but if you don't care about trophies/achievements you can ignore them and play game like they never existed.

So there's absolutely no negatives to having them in your system.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Zlejedi said:
This might be a shocking news for some posters here but if you don't care about trophies/achievements you can ignore them and play game like they never existed.

So there's absolutely no negatives to having them in your system.

If this was early 90s I'd argue that they are unnecessary waste of space but I suppose dedicating a few MB for achievements now a days can be allowed.  Funny that old school games probably can fit in the same space or less that they set aside for achievements.  Now, if you can just get most companies to release games that don't need a patch on day 1 then that would be an achievement...

Lot's of nintendo games already has some kind of achivement:
-stamps in wii sport ressort.
-percent completion in DKCR
-stars on saves for NSMBWii
and so on, just they stay on local for personal reward and not e-penis measurement. i am a little disappointed that nintendo went this way. achievement are artificial way to to lenghten the shorter hd games and dictate you how to play games. i don't see the fun of it

But we must first concentrate ourselves on the way to entertain people, for video games to live. Else, it's a world where sales representative will win, which has as effect to kill creativity. I want to say to the creators all around the world:"Courage, Dare!". Shigeru Miyamoto.

People saying they don't need achievements to have fun playing games are like people saying they don't need drugs to have fun when going out: they don't get it.

We don't need them to have fun, but sometimes it just feels sooooo good when one comes up!

Around the Network
iasta said:
achievement are artificial way to to lenghten the shorter hd games and dictate you how to play games. i don't see the fun of it

Must avoid being a mindless sheep!  If Microsoft or Sony was hacked and the hackers sent out a message saying achievement of the day: jump off a bridge in real life then I am sure at least a few achievement whores would take them up on the offer.  You would have to turn in your hardcore graduation ring if you didn't.

Chrizum said:
People saying they don't need achievements to have fun playing games are like people saying they don't need drugs to have fun when going out: they don't get it.

We don't need them to have fun, but sometimes it just feels sooooo good when one comes up!

This proves that achievements can be as addicting as drugs.  They must be outlawed before it is too late!!!

sethnintendo said:
Chrizum said:

This proves that achievements can be as addicting as drugs.  They must be outlawed before it is too late!!!

THe bitch of it is, you are both right. Except for the outlaw part, people just have to be strong and resist the temptation, fortuanatly im too dam lazy to try and 100% all my games. Getting half the trophies is ok with me

Don't care. Well actually I wouldn't mind if they added them, but only so there isnt a topic created every other day or article talking about how Nintendo should create achivements

I don't need no achievements to know that i beat Zelda or Metroid 100%
I dont' look at others achivements, hell i dont' even look at any of mine on the HD twins. Don't even know how many I have points wise or trophy wise.
I replay games because they are fun, not to try and get some achievement some dev put in. If I want to beat a level in a short time, or do it without being seen or get all heashots, or ect I will do that on my own. And I did do that on my own back in teh day. I played some of those goldeneye levels so many times it was rediculous.

Wow some people are just so close minded. As Zlejedi mentioned, there's no downside to achievements, but it adds to the experience. And anything that adds to the experience is a good thing. If you don't like it, just don't pay any heed to them and play your game like you normally play.

I think achievements are great, they make me do insane stuff that sometimes I probably would have never attempted. Like take a different approach or learn a different tactic to tackle a ridiculously hard challenge which actually made me get better at the game.

Also this may not be much, but if you see a guy with 20000 gamer points, you know he has played a pretty wide variety of games or has invested a lot of time in his games as opposed to someone who has 2000 gamer points, who probably hasn't done either of the above.