By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Louvre is buying 5,000 3DS handhelds

MrBubbles said:

i dont see why i personally, or this museum would want to purchase 3dss where people cannot use them with the 3d slider maxed and recieve the full 3d effect(the idea of building up a tolerance to this is just absurd to me). additionally, the issue became far more problematic when moving so why in the world would this museum want these when people will most likely be glancing at the thing on the move.

You should try playing Face Raiders and the AR card games.  You can move with the 3DS and see the 3D just fine.  The key here is to keep your head level with the 3DS for the sweet spot.

Around the Network

^x2
That 's what the depth slider for,why feels so bad about not viewing it at maximum.I can't but I am please with what I saw and felt no absurd about that.

sethnintendo said:
Icyedge said:

If you leave the brightness at its default level (maximum), there will be lots of ghosting. But if you lower it to the middle, its almost invisible. Nintendo should have put the default level at the middle, I too was dissapointed when I first used it.

Hmm I've only kept mine at max setting.  I'll have to try a lower setting and see.  What exactly is ghosting?  Is it when you get out of the sweet spot and start seeing blurry images?

Nope, ghosting is also call crosstalk. The 3D image is compose of 2 images send to each eyes. Crosstalk happen when one eye is able to slightly see the other eye image. Its not blurry, its like seeing the phantom of another image. Its not THAT apparent, but it can be annoying, particularly on a black background since its more apparent. Lowering the brightness definitely does fix this problem though.

Icyedge said:

Nope, ghosting is also call crosstalk. The 3D image is compose of 2 images send to each eyes. Crosstalk happen when one eye is able to slightly see the other eye image. Its not blurry, its like seeing the phantom of another image. Its not THAT apparent, but it can be annoying, particularly on a black background since its more apparent. Lowering the brightness definitely does fix this problem though.

Yea, I was watching a video on Nintendo Video channel which was an train jazz music animation video.  After lowering it to mid setting the video seemed to look even better.  I would recommend checking that video since it just came out on the channel.  Probably the best looking video I've seen on the channel.

sethnintendo said:
lestatdark said:
MrBubbles said:
tried the 3ds for the first time last night...it was so bad...i really dont understand how people can actually play it.

There's a reason the 3D slider exists, so you can adjust the intensity of the effect to better suit you. If you have never played it before, playing it at full 3D will, of course, mess with your eyes. 

After having a 3DS for 4 months, I can play it at max 3D for long hours and not feel tired or sore in my eyes. About the ghosting effect, that's an unfortunate side effect of this technology, not just a 3DS problem. Some games mask that well though, I haven't seen any ghosting on MK7 or Starfox 3D, but on Zelda OoT 3D there was plenty of it. 

Adjusting the 3D slider is key as you pointed out.  Also, I just wanted to add for Super Mario 3D Land you can push up and down on the d pad and it adjusts the 3D.  Not sure what the hell it adjusts but I found the default setting wasn't the best for my eyes and after viewing the other setting it seemed the 3D was even better.

Didn't knew that about SM3DLand, I need to try it out. On MK7, the 3D effect is much better and less strainful when playing on the First Person View, at least for me.

@Mr.Bubbles - Everything that affects your eyes in a new fashion takes time to get used to. Glasses 3D also takes toll on your vision for the first times watching it, but after a couple of viewings your eye-sight gets adjusted to it. What is absurd is expecting your eyesight to adjust to everything on the fly, which clearly doesn't happen as that's a basic anatomic condition. 

For example, take a person that has never watched a computer screen in their life. They wouldn't be able to handle more than a couple of minutes for the first time, due to the radiations that computer screens emit, which is way less than what it was back in the 90s (which caused some serious eye conditions back in the days). You wouldn't feel that because your eyes are used to every day computer use, but a similar feeling happens if you stay away from TV's, Computers or any kind of electromagnetic device for a long time (a month or so) and then starting to use them again.

And 3D on the move is easy for people accostumed to it. I can play the 3DS on a moving bus with the slider at max with no problem at all. And my vision is pretty crappy (-10 degrees of myopia and 135 degrees of astigmatism, both very severe cases). It just took a while to adapt, but after that there was no problem.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"