By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Want a better chance at immigrating, join the army!

Should immigrants be offered military service as an option to immigrate?

Yes 6 60.00%

No 4 40.00%

Total:10

I've been thinking about this idea for a very long time. I hear of all these immigrants from countries that aren't really democratic where the individuals aren't actually in danger but want to get out. They have very little to offer Canada or other countries, usually most citizens would be upset and angry that our countries are letting them in, or they would be turned away.

So why not offer any immigrants a way of skipping in line. If they meet the basic qualifications for citizenship why not allow them to skip in line and get a green card through armed service. Offer lower pay with citizenship to any immigrant wanting to jump the line, but they are committed to three years service (Minimum Canada) ro in another country.

This way the immigrants wanting Canadian citizenship bad enough can fight for their democratic rights and freedoms. In many countries military service is mandatory why not give immigrants the choice of military service in exchange for citizenship. If the immigrant goes awol simply deport them.

Also if the country is worried about spies place immigrants from certain countries in conflicts where they aren't a threat. Such as putting a Chinese National in Afghanistan. Not to mention screen the immigrants for any signs of ulterior motives.

But wouldn't it make sense to give some immigrants the right and ability to fight for their freedoms and the country they want to immigrate too? Not to mention the Governments could cheap out on certain things that they would have to give citizens. It would enable countries with the ability to hire an affordable soldier that will fight to the death for your country. What could possibly be a down side?

Another plus would be having soldiers who speak tons of different languages. They could be utalized in many different ways to help a countries armed forces.

It was just pointed out that the US has started such a program. Do you think other countries should?

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

didn't the US already tried that?

-edit- found it http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/us/15immig.html?pagewanted=all

well that's the end of the thread

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
didn't the US already tried that?

-edit- found it http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/us/15immig.html?pagewanted=all

well that's the end of the thread

Well actually the thread was about the idea for any country. Personally I did not know the US already had such a program but to my knowledge Canada does not. I also don't know many other countries that do, if you read the wording of the OP it mentioned the US but the emphasis was always on all countries with Canada mentioned as well.

It would appear the US program has been a huge success, Do you think other countries should follow?

-JC7

+ Want a better chance at dying?

An immigrant wouldn't feel the same sense of belonging and the need to protect 'their' country as a person born there/grew up there. Why would you want that in your army?

Around the Network

Other than being treated like shit by his native counterparts, I am pretty sure it just wouldn't be the same.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

miz1q2w3e said:
An immigrant wouldn't feel the same sense of belonging and the need to protect 'their' country as a person born there/grew up there. Why would you want that in your army?

Well if they came from a country like Afghanistan or another country even like China where they were treated horribly they would fight to the death to get the freedoms we enjoy. I mean if Chinese citizens will pack themselves into a boat and sail across the ocean with little to no food or water arrive with many dead in Vancouver. I don't see why those immigrants would be any less willing to protect our country then any Canadian.

Especially if they were bringing a wife or daughter with them. Their need to protect their family would be so great that they would make the perfect recruit for the army. Look how desperate some people are to immigrate I know of some in British Columbia who have actually purposely injured themselves nearly to the point of dying to avoid deportation because if they can't get the medical treatment in their home country the Government has a very hard time deporting them.

In my city alone some people have lived in the Sikh temple or other places of worship including Synagogues and church's for years never leaving just to stay in the country. People are desperate to come to Canada and other democratic free countries. They want to come so bad that they would risk death and do almost anything to get here.

A soldier who will always obey orders and fight to the death especially if he has family counting on him. Is a very valuable asset especially if he's cheaper to employ then a regular Canadian Forces soldier or any other country.

Not to mention if we have a choice between bringing in an uneducated illiterate East Indian or an East Indian with the same qualifications willing and ready to serve 3 years in the armed forces. Why would we take the illiterate non-educated one? I personally know immigrants in my city who can't speak any english or french they can't even read half the time. I worked at the welfare office as security and their would be indo Canadians coming in and they weren't even that old half the time. I remember one time a young guy must have been just about twenty needed somebody to come translate for him and read to him the papers which were in Punjabi and also available in tons of other languages.

I mean why was a immigrant accepted into Canada that couldn't speak English or French or read documents in Punjabi and other languages. I mean how does the guy contribute to Canadian society not to mention he was on Welfare and I have to wonder if he could even get a job without being able to talk or read. The only thing I could understand is if he was coming from a country where he was facing imminent death, like when Canada brought in some Burmese Christians who were being hunted and slaughtered. But even in those cases I know they were given the oppurtunity to learn english in courses. I can't see why we would take someone who can't speak, read or write over somebody who would be willing to serve in the army.

Then again if he didn't know English or French he would be pretty useless in combat as well. But I mean if you can bring in a immigrant that meets the basic qualifications and is willing to fight for your country, why take someone else with those same qualifications who isn't willing to fight for the country?

-JC7

Joelcool7 said:

Well if they came from a country like Afghanistan or another country even like China where they were treated horribly they would fight to the death to get the freedoms we enjoy. I mean if Chinese citizens will pack themselves into a boat and sail across the ocean with little to no food or water arrive with many dead in Vancouver. I don't see why those immigrants would be any less willing to protect our country then any Canadian.

. . .

I actually read that entire post! Gimme a break next time XP

So yeah, I see your point, I didn't think there were people that wanted to immigrate that badly. Also, I agree, I have no idea why people who are essentially useless (can't read, write, or speak the country's language) accepted as immigrants

lol I accidentally voted 'Yes' at first but now that's my actual vote

I can see the pros of it. Would ensure that the people know the host countries language and such.

However there are some downsides as well.

First off, it feels somewhat exploitative... as no doubt the poor would join the army because it for a lot it would be a choice between life or death.

Right now a lot of people in the US join the army because it's the best way to get ahead for some people (like highschool dropouts who are somewhat illiterate).

However, giving the choice of joining the army or being at the end of the line to a persecuted person in a foreign country seems off.